Teresa

|

|

Teresa Daughter / Mother             andrewlucas

|                       |

|                       |

andrewlucas Daughter

You are her son-in-law

Thats what I came up with but my co worker swears its daughter. Then when I look for the answer on google most say the answer is daughter because of subject content and there being no mention of anyone outside the equation. 

31 minutes ago, andrewlucas said:

Thats what I came up with but my co worker swears its daughter. Then when I look for the answer on google most say the answer is daughter because of subject content and there being no mention of anyone outside the equation. 

The problem is that this assumes gender-parent norms.  If you're male/the father then you're the son-in-law.  If you're female/the mother then you're the daughter (your daughter's mother is yourself).

6 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

You're not solving for yourself, you're solving for the imaginary asker of the riddle. The answer is one of the options, which are all female.

Eh, I suppose?  Though it's not unreasonable to read 'my' as 'myself' (the reader).  I still would say that it's poorly designed as the fact that 'my' = female is only defined by the answer options, which is just poor question design (I used to design questionnaires).  You should always be able to answer a question without being provided the answer in any form.

2 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

What? Sure it is. If the question were designed to put the reader into it, would it not say "you", as in "if Teresa's daughter is your daughter's mother..."?

Saying 'you' is definitely a clearer distinction, but I (and others) definitely read 'my' as 'myself'.  Incorrect? Yes.  Unreasonable/unexpected? No.

BUT the point of the riddle and the wording therein was not to be easily solved, so yeah.