Question About 7" Records

Personally, I hate it when I'm listening to a 7" and the song cuts out before it's actually done. I've always wondered why 7" 45rpm's, therefore not getting the full song on the record, when it could easily fit on 33rpm.

So I guess my question is why do they press 7" at 45rpm when the full song will not fit? Is it cheaper? I just don't understand.

you must have an old turntable with a automatic arm that needs to be adjusted. I used to have one, and when you reached the end of the record, it would automatically reset the arm and would stop or move it to the beginning to repeat. The arm is probably set to return in the wrong place.

Also the sound quality on 33 1/3 7's are typically a lot worse, or at least a whole lot harder to achieve the correct audio specifications to have it compare to a 45.

It seems to be best to use 33 1/3's on 7's not if you need more time, but to increase the loudness and highs and lows.

The length should actually be about the same, although a lot of places will claim to be able to cram 9 minutes a side on 33 7".

Since 7"s are already smaller, than 12, they need to have slower rotation speeds than 12's

a 33 1/3 7" is like listening to the inner grooves(last song or 2) on a 12" there is usually a degradation in audio quality, loudness boominess.

That was probably a long completely unnessary response, but oh well.

It happens on both sides of the Jejune/Jimmy Eat World split 7" (the end of the last 2 songs are cut off) and it happens to my Texas Is the Reason self-titled 7" at the end of the 2nd song (Dressing Cold). I do have an adjustable arm, but it's properly weighted and everything so I'm not sure...

It happens on both sides of the Jejune/Jimmy Eat World split 7" (the end of the last 2 songs are cut off) and it happens to my Texas Is the Reason self-titled 7" at the end of the 2nd song (Dressing Cold). I do have an adjustable arm, but it's properly weighted and everything so I'm not sure...

I have the Jejune/Jimmy split, and I guarantee that there is a full song that ends correctly on it. Your automatic arm is stopping and returning to it's resting state too soon. See if you can adjust it. Or get a new deck without an automatic arm.