How to Press a record thread?

I think there is already a thread that details how to press a record, but I couldn't find it. 

In particular, this is for an artist that has already released records, but a few of their releases were never pressed on vinyl.  Yes, one would think that their label would handle this, but the label is winding down. The band would like to press these to vinyl for touring and website sales...fan based stuff. 

So...I'm looking for:

1) Information on how to obtain the legal  rights to press records as an independent company.  Is there a standard contract used? 

2) What information is needed (or what software is traditionally used) to recreate the packaging

3) Once you have legal and design, where to actually press the records

Thanks...if anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

Edited by axisrecapital

20 minutes ago, axisrecapital said:

I think there is already a thread that details how to press a record, but I couldn't find it. 

In particular, this is for an artist that has already released records, but a few of their releases were never pressed on vinyl.  Yes, one would think that their label would handle this, but the label is winding down. The band would like to press these to vinyl for touring and website sales...fan based stuff. 

So...I'm looking for:

1) Information on how to obtain the legal  rights to press records as an independent company.  Is there a standard contract used? 

2) What information is needed (or what software is traditionally used) to recreate the packaging

It sounds like you've never done anything like this ever.   If you don't know even how to recreate artwork, you might be in over your head.

Still, with that said...

1.  Contact the label who initially released the album.  They will more than likely provide the licensing contract(s) if they want to license it.

2.  Photoshop

3.  https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJwOm8isrRAhWG44MKHRSgDBgQPAgD#hl=en&q=where+to+press+a+vinyl+record

Thanks...Artwork isn't a problem at all and I'm proficient with Photoshop.  However, I was trying to find out if there was software that already existed exclusively for record pressing, so if their label was able to provide the digital framework, it would it be easily transferable to the pressing company. 

1 minute ago, axisrecapital said:

Thanks...Artwork isn't a problem at all and I'm proficient with Photoshop.  However, I was trying to find out if there was software that already existed exclusively for record pressing, so if their label was able to provide the digital framework, it would it be easily transferable to the pressing company. 

I would just use whatever template is offered from the vinyl manufacturer, if they offer jacket manufacturing.  If not, use a template offered by a printing place that does vinyl jackets.  Most services will give you templates in all of the various Adobe forms (.psd, .ai, .pdf, etc.)

19 minutes ago, highfives said:

1.  Contact the label who initially released the album.  They will more than likely provide the licensing contract(s) if they want to license it.

i've tried this for a few albums so far and never received a reply in regards of yes or no, and that was with a professional proposition.

just a head's up for those wondering, it's not easy, at all.

Just now, ethereal said:

i've tried this for a few albums so far and never received a reply in regards of yes or no, and that was with a professional proposition.

just a head's up for those wondering, it's not easy, at all.

Sounds like he has more of an in than just a cold call.  Even still, depending on the band/label it won't be cheap, or easy.

1 hour ago, axisrecapital said:

So...I'm looking for:

1. Are you certain that the label owns the masters? If not, you'll need to find out who does because that is who you will need to license them from, unless the band owns them in which case you don't need to worry about the label at all. Hopefully you will be dealing with a smaller, artist-friendly label because if it's a bigger one they may not even want to bother for such a limited run - meaning they won't be making very much so it's not even worth their time to work out the licensing agreement with you. Deal with this first before anything else because it's the keystone of the project. If the band doesn't own them then ask the old label if they still do or if they sold their masters to someone else. If they have licensed anything previously than they probably have a standard contract that they will send you, not the other way around.

2. Photoshop or InDesign is what is used. You will probably just need to tweak the existing artwork for the new format. 

3. This is completely up to you, but you'd usually make a decision based on a price quote for whatever it is you want to do, and then the timing of your release. A lot of pressing plants these days have longer turnarounds so to make an order today means you won't be getting your product for 6-8 months. Do you want to be in close proximity to the plant so you can pick up / deliver assets in person? Or are you willing to ship ? This is where your ability to use google and research the different options will pay off for you. There is no one size fits all answer here.

Whatever plant you go with will send you templates to drop the art into so don't even worry about that for now - that is like the last of your worries really. Put the cart before the horse and deal with obtaining the masters or a license for them before you waste your time on a project you can't get off the ground.