Help!!! Need info on a good digital Camera

Hey guys, need some help buying a camera.

Ok, so i'm saving up to buy a camera for fest. Figured i would need something other than m crappy canon sd1000 elph. it's nice for taking day shots and stuff at night with a flash, but i bought it on a whim, and realized i didn't have enough manual settings to take shots at shows.

So this my situation. I need a good point and shoot style camera like a g9 or something that i can use to take good photos at shows. I need a camera that i can manually set. shutter speed, etc etc.. I know i can easlly get a dslr, but i want something a bit smaller. If you can recommend some camera's i'd appreciate it.

I have the SD750, and I think it takes good pictures at shows.

what about the SD1000 don't you like?

i have the sd800is and if the manual controls are anything the same, then they're pretty much suck. can't really fine tune the shutter speed / aperture / etc.. that i'm sure i'm leaving out cuz i don't know a whole lot about photography.. can't have an external flash and... yeah.. other things that would necessitate getting a better camera..

durability, on the other hand, isn't so bad. i kinda sorta accidentally dropped my camera off of a cliff 40 / 50 ft into the Grand Canyon, and after a little bit of hiking / searching... i found it, scratched up, but working fine =)

I recently bought a G9 and I fucking love it.

that's the one i was kinda looking at.. either that or a sony f828. I have used a 717 and a 828 and they both rock as far as taking live shots, especially with the swivel lens.. very nice. i like the g9 image viewer too... i just wanted someone to maybe point a few more than i might not know about before i go out an purchase one around sept

problem you might run into with the Sony is it being 'professional photography' which a lot of places won't allow, while the G9 to someone working a door won't think so.

good call. Well i can always borrow my friends 717 and buy a g9> i'm leaning toward a canon since i love canon anyway. everything i own for my computer is CANON. they just make good stuff.

What is it like taking cameras into FEST SHOWCASES? does anyone know. Do you have to have some sort of badge. I know at SXSW, we have to have a little badge for the camera.

If you want more functionality, you could try using an open-source firmware add-on.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

I checked the compatibility list, and your camera should work with one of the builds. From what I understand, you basically load this up on an SD card and you can play with pretty much any of the settings on your camera, do bracketed shots, super high shutter speed, stuff like that. I just ran across this a couple days ago and I've been meaning to try it out (I've been thinking of getting a new camera that does bracketed shots so I can try HDR stuff). Way cheaper than a new camera.

If you want more functionality, you could try using an open-source firmware add-on.

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

I checked the compatibility list, and your camera should work with one of the builds. From what I understand, you basically load this up on an SD card and you can play with pretty much any of the settings on your camera, do bracketed shots, super high shutter speed, stuff like that. I just ran across this a couple days ago and I've been meaning to try it out (I've been thinking of getting a new camera that does bracketed shots so I can try HDR stuff). Way cheaper than a new camera.

I'm quite interested in this, but don't want to do it until someone else does and confirms it to be legit/good.