To those living in Canada...and near Toronto

I might be moving out there around december or january for about 6 months to live. Figured i'd ask anyone on here if it's hard to find a under the table job there. And to also see how Public Transpo is. How much is housing? etc etc.. Hopefully a few of you can help..

Again, im only moving for around 6 months. that's my usual stay in any city. if i find i like it i may figure out a way to stay a bit longer. I'm only moving with maybe a suitcase worth of clothes and just go from there. If i need to i can just do design gigs for extra cash or something to stay afloat..

any info would be greatly appreciated

Guest conoley

Toronto's great. The public transit it really good and easy to use. Two subway lines (north/south east/west) as well as streetcars and buses.

Thanks for the info... but what's the cost of living there? i just want to know.. my uncle was nice enough to give me money to pay for a room or apt for 6 months somewhere, so hopefully i can find something rather quickly.. I'm sure it isn't hard to find a job working illegally.. hell i might just start doing more design work.. 2 jobs a week will pay for the bills, and i can get a side job working somewhere, hopefully.

ONce i know for sure, i'll be planning.. i think $5000 should cover me for 6 months correct?

i couldn't tell you i'm afraid --- the cost of living in the prairies is wildly different from the tee dot. i would imagine if you can find work then five grand will set you up.

i might just try really hard to get a internship somewhere and then work at night someplace close to home.. that should do it.. but i have to see. im waiting on my friend. she said i might just be able to live with her... WHOO HOO!!

Once i know for sure, i'll be planning.. i think $5000 should cover me for 6 months correct?

If you find a decent job and don't plan on drinking, this should cover it. I was there for five days two weeks ago, and booze was insanely expensive (close to double if I remember correctly). The public transportation was amazing. It took all of one minute to figure out, didn't smell like piss, and wasn't very crowded. Awesome place to visit, and I'm even considering moving there. Good luck and enjoy!

Once i know for sure, i'll be planning.. i think $5000 should cover me for 6 months correct?

If you find a decent job and don't plan on drinking, this should cover it. I was there for five days two weeks ago, and booze was insanely expensive (close to double if I remember correctly). The public transportation was amazing. It took all of one minute to figure out, didn't smell like piss, and wasn't very crowded. Awesome place to visit, and I'm even considering moving there. Good luck and enjoy!

damn, how much is rent for a apt there?

I don't drink alot.. maybe about a 12 pack and a case of vodka a year...

why are you going to move there?

I move usually once every 2 years to visit an area of the country (or in this case the continent) and see things and experience things as well. When people ask me, hey why don't you move here. i usually do. If i have a place to stay for a bit while i get situated i usually move... but this time it's to toronto. While im there i plan to see the city and the surrounding areas...

I think after that might be New Zealand or Germany...not sure...

damn, how much is rent for a apt there?

I don't drink a lot.. maybe about a 12 pack and a case of vodka a year...

I don't remember exact numbers, but from hanging out and talking to some people that lived there, it didn't seem to be too expensive. I say poke around on Craigslist for awhile to see what you can come up with. I like your moving around strategy. Once I graduate next year, I'd like to try doing the same thing.

Man that is awesome. How do you afford to do that? Especialy when you buy vinyl.

i don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, nor do i go out, and i work for tips plus regular wage, and i do design work (which i should be doing alot more of) so i have alot of money to spend... well not that much.. i just know how to save for shit i want... Looks like i might be leaving after SXSW. I have a lot of friends who own homes, and they usually hold on to my stuff for me till i get back. My friend is coming down for sxsw so i may just fly back with her... good times..

I saw the price on basement apt's.. FUCK some of those apts are bigger than most of the studio apts i've had. That looks like Austin prices to me. Just a matter of finding out where i'm gonna be living and try to get a gig to work somewhere before i move... hopefully she can find me something i can do...

from what i hear, even the semi-bad neighborhoods in toronto are nice.. well at least nice compared to where i lived.

Guest conoley

Do you want to live alone, or get a room somewhere? If you are sharing an apartment with someone, you can get a nice place for around $500 in a cool part of town. If you want to live 'where it's at" live around Queen Street W or College Street. If you go too far West on Queen you'll run into a shitty part of town (not dangerous, but some crack and really boring). The Parkdale neighborhood is as far West as you want to go there, and it's just on the up and up now, so you should get a nice place cheap.

As for jobs, I'm not sure what you can get without a Visa, but you can get a Visa pretty cheap and then find a job at a restaurant or bar, that's what I'd do. Then again, you can probably find something under the table.

Toronto is a very affordable city as far as cities go. Unless you want to see the Leafs play.