NFL Discussion

your daily ravens update. i'm finally upset.

apparently there are scheduling problems between the baltimore orioles and the ravens for the season opener. Per usual, the defending champs open the season on the Thursday before regular week 1 games, however; considering the o's and ravens share some lots they are finding this to be problematic.

easy solution, move the game to Wednesday like they did for the giants/cowboys game this past year. however, rosh hashmanah is that day so they will not play wednesday.

in no way do i mean to sound anti-semetic, but who cares? football is played on holidays all the time. football is played on thanksgiving, and christmas eve while bball is played on christmas day.

one of the options is playing on the road now for the opener. there's got to be a better solution than that

if they figure it out and open at home, im calling it against the pats and if its on the road, they are headed to mile high.

you sure about the wednesday thing? 

To prevent Yom Kippur (10 Tishrei) from falling on a Friday or Sunday, Rosh Hashanah (1 Tishrei) cannot be a Wednesday or Friday. Likewise, to prevent Hoshana Rabbah (21 Tishrei) from falling on a Saturday, Rosh Hashanah cannot be a Sunday. This leaves only four days on which Rosh Hashanah can fall: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, which are referred as the "four gates." Each day is associated with a number (its order in the week, starting with Sunday as 1), and these numbers are associated with Hebrew letters. Therefore the keviyah uses the letters ה,ג,ב and ז (representing 2, 3, 5, and 7, for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday) to denote the starting day of the year 

you sure about the wednesday thing? 

i'm not familiar with the holiday myself, i'm only regurgitating what i read on the ravens website.  rosh hashanah eve?

One option the league considered was for the Ravens to play on Wednesday night, but decided against it because that's the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashanah.

The Difference between the Jewish High Holy Days and the say Christmas is that you can't work on Rosh Hashanah. You also need to be in observance at Sundown so a night game is off the table. This means any Jewish players who might observe have the choice of sitting out due to faith or rejecting a sacred tenant. There isn't such a dictate for Christmas. Thanksgiving doesn't compare to either - it's the same as Presidents Day in that it's only a Federal Holiday void of religious connotation. 

There are examples of Jewish Athletes who've actually refused to play though. Hank Greenberg is the greatest example. Sandy Koufax refused to pitch game 1 of the World Series in 1965.  Shawn Green is a more contemporary example when he sat out a game in the middle of a tight pennant race. Kevin Youklis doesn't play. There are a bunch more.

Anyway, this only matters in Baseball typically hence why the NFL rarely deals with it. September is also very early for Rosh Hashanah. Normally it is closer to or in October and has raised debates as to whether some players participate in Playoff Games. 

Hope this helps you understand the issue. 

The Difference between the Jewish High Holy Days and the say Christmas is that you can't work on Rosh Hashanah. You also need to be in observance at Sundown so a night game is off the table. This means any Jewish players who might observe have the choice of sitting out due to faith or rejecting a sacred tenant. There isn't such a dictate for Christmas. Thanksgiving doesn't compare to either - it's the same as Presidents Day in that it's only a Federal Holiday void of religious connotation. 

There are examples of Jewish Athletes who've actually refused to play though. Hank Greenberg is the greatest example. Sandy Koufax refused to pitch game 1 of the World Series in 1965.  Shawn Green is a more contemporary example when he sat out a game in the middle of a tight pennant race. Kevin Youklis doesn't play. There are a bunch more.

Anyway, this only matters in Baseball typically hence why the NFL rarely deals with it. September is also very early for Rosh Hashanah. Normally it is closer to or in October and has raised debates as to whether some players participate in Playoff Games. 

Hope this helps you understand the issue. 

its based off x number of days after passover, right?  

Giants down at #11. They've let a lot of players go but let's remember how weak their defense is. I am a Giants and Devils fan and I think they are two of the best run franchises in all of sports. It's weird to have so much faith in their front office but I suspect Reese knows what he's up to. 

I don't know anything about the Devils (don't watch hockey) but Coughlin has reportedly been a loss or two away from getting tossed several times and then he get's some slack by making a playoff run. That doesn't seem like a greatly run franchise.

I'd vote for the Rays.

2 Super Bowl wins and no losing seasons since 2004. I think only the Steelers and Pats would not trade the last decade with the G-men.

Ugh, I'm an Eagles fan and now I need to shower

Yeah, not saying they are shitty. But if I am going to crown a team as the best in professional sports it's not going to be a team who's current head coach was very close to being fired twice and saved his job through unexpected (some might even say "fluky"...They were underdogs throughout most of the playoffs those years) Super Bowl wins.

yes, they won 2 super bowls in the past 10 years, thats pretty impressive, however, besides that there isn't much impressive about those other 8 years.  besides those 2 super bowls, they have won zero playoff games and missed the playoffs 5 times.  thats an extremely inconstant program.

the thing lebowski is talking about is the year they won as a wildcard i believe, he was almost out the door and then the next two seasons they missed the playoffs, he was almost out the door again.

your daily ravens update. i'm finally upset.

apparently there are scheduling problems between the baltimore orioles and the ravens for the season opener. Per usual, the defending champs open the season on the Thursday before regular week 1 games, however; considering the o's and ravens share some lots they are finding this to be problematic.

easy solution, move the game to Wednesday like they did for the giants/cowboys game this past year. however, rosh hashmanah is that day so they will not play wednesday.

in no way do i mean to sound anti-semetic, but who cares? football is played on holidays all the time. football is played on thanksgiving, and christmas eve while bball is played on christmas day.

one of the options is playing on the road now for the opener. there's got to be a better solution than that

if they figure it out and open at home, im calling it against the pats and if its on the road, they are headed to mile high.

wouldn't the easiest solution be to move the baseball game to 1 or something? 

also browns lost one of their best players..  i am hoping for a 49ers SB win this year.  that is unless the browns make it????

wouldn't the easiest solution be to move the baseball game to 1 or something? 

also browns lost one of their best players..  i am hoping for a 49ers SB win this year.  that is unless the browns make it????

who did they lose?

thats one of the ideas proposed, but they have a game the night before and the orioles gm doesn't want to do that to his players.  with their success last year, they will most likely be in the race again, so that part i get, but at the same time, man up.  if they would play at 1, i would totally go to that early game, tailgate after for the ravens, then go to the season opener.  i think it would be great for the city of baltimore.