NFL Discussion

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3981792

Jay Cutler is selling his house in Denver. His parents are selling their Denver house too.

Not looking like he plans on sticking with the Broncos this year.

Eh, he bought his house in 2006 and he's selling it in a depressed market for $700,000 more? There's no way he made that much equity at the downturn of the market. In other words: it won't sell.

I think it's just more posturing to get his point across.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3981792

Jay Cutler is selling his house in Denver. His parents are selling their Denver house too.

Not looking like he plans on sticking with the Broncos this year.

Eh, he bought his house in 2006 and he's selling it in a depressed market for $700,000 more? There's no way he made that much equity at the downturn of the market. In other words: it won't sell.

I love Cutler's ability, but that dude needs to shut the hell up. I'm starting to think that trading him to Cleveland for Quinn and a second-round pick might be the thing to do.

I love Cutler's ability, but that dude needs to shut the hell up. I'm starting to think that trading him to Cleveland for Quinn and a second-round pick might be the thing to do.

I'm starting to think that the Bucs need to hop on that shit post haste. Luke McCown, Brian Griese and that kid from SD State -- what a sorry bunch.

Or maybe not. I live in Tampa, but I'm a Saints fan. Drew Breese FTW.

The Rooney's are in support of changing the Overtime rules so that each time's offense gets to touch the ball. I hate the NFL's overtime, so I agree w/ that.

What do you guys think?

I agree that it should be changed. It's too easy to just get in FG range and win without the other team getting a chance.

i remember reading about possible rule changes and i don't exactly remember the ones that i like, but each team should be guaranteed a possession. if both teams are great offensive and just okay defensive teams, then a one and done would be decided by the coin toss more often than not.. and the game should be decided by a little more than a coin toss. it shouldn't be like college, but sudden death on the 2nd team's possession would work

I like the overtime rules they way they currently are.

The coin toss winner only wins 52% of the time and the coin toss winner only scores on the first drive 29% of the time. I think those stats show that the team that wins the toss doesn't really have an overwhelming advantage.

Where did you get those stats? The post-gazette yesterday had scoring on the first drive around 48%.

The coin toss winner only wins 52% of the time and the coin toss winner only scores on the first drive 29% of the time. I think those stats show that the team that wins the toss doesn't really have an overwhelming advantage.

Where did you get those stats? The post-gazette yesterday had scoring on the first drive around 48%.

I was curious about this and did a "study" on it after last season. I found someone else's stats from 1974-2003 and then went through the box scores on ESPN.com for 2004-2008.

Here's what I found:

Regular Season

Total OT Games (1974-2008) = 436

Both teams had at least one possession = 304 (70%)

Team won toss and won game = 231 (53%)

Team lost toss and won game = 188 (43%)

Team won toss and drove for winning score = 129 (30%)

Game ended in a tie = 16 (4%)

Playoffs

Total OT Games (2004-2008) = 5

Both teams had at least one possession = 4 (80%)

Team won toss and won game = 1 (20%)

Team lost toss and won game = 4 (80%)

Team won toss and drove for winning score = 1 (20%)

I just googled it and the first site I looked at had those stats.

Mediocore's stats seem to concur with them. (at least within 1%)

I wonder what years the post-gazette used to get thier stats?

All these proposed rule changes for "the safety of the players" will be completely negated by this proposed 18 game season.

Seems to me that the guys on 20 of 32 teams that would hang up the pads after 16 games would be a hell of a lot safer on the golf course.

Sure, the 2 extra would be taken from the 4 pre-season games, but those are hardly full-on events.

Chase the money train. That's the real sport in all of it.

Oh -- and if safety is a concern -- what about Special Teams? Removing the "3 man wedge" from the return team will completely expose the returner -- he'll have nobody to hide behind. When 20 guys come rushing at him full speed to take him out -- we'll see if anyone gets hurt.

Bunch of shite, if you ask me.

If the NFL isn't careful, it will wind up being a watered down version of itself -- much like what the NHL did to itself.