nofx - maximum rocknroll on RED

Orange is another new pressing (400 or 500, i forget), those NOFX records sell through so quickly that he keeps having to press more. I'd like to think it is the new improved cover that makes this record suddenly so popular :)

As for the RKL thing, there are two sides to every story and one side didn't get to tell his side. Who was it from RKL they interviewed anyway? (I haven't seen the story yet). I'm pretty sure everyone who played in the band who was actually around for the mystic days are all dead now.

Orange is another new pressing (400 or 500, i forget), those NOFX records sell through so quickly that he keeps having to press more. I'd like to think it is the new improved cover that makes this record suddenly so popular :)

i think the popularity of it probably has more to do with you pressing it on every color of the rainbow, which is your right i guess. i know its certainly not popular because of the music on it. would be nice to have a exact (or to the nearest hundred) pressing number for every variation.

or is every press just going to be 400-500, we're not sure though?

As for the RKL thing, there are two sides to every story and one side didn't get to tell his side. Who was it from RKL they interviewed anyway? (I haven't seen the story yet). I'm pretty sure everyone who played in the band who was actually around for the mystic days are all dead now.

Moody has an interview in there as well as Darry D'Alive from RKL. He says he was in the band during the Mystic days (Beautiful Feeling EP).

It's not just this interview, but numerous stories/complaints/drama fueled things that have shaped my personal thoughts on the label.

I actually love the music on this record, it is my favorite NOFX record, but I also got those original 7"s when they were released and that was the NOFX i knew from my young teenage punk/skating years.

They are 500 pressings when there's enough covers to support them, the lowest I think is the orange and blue which ended up being 400 each.

I saw the agreements that these bands signed with Mystic. The standard agreement was they got paid in copies of records, no royalties. They were given records back then. Currently there's some out there that havent' been getting copies of new stuff because Doug has no way to contact these people, he lost touch over the years. I've been pretty adamant with him about sending copies to band members I know where they are, and have on many occasions put him back in touch with some of them who were all too happy to get some product sent to them in teh mail, which made every single one of them pretty much stop singing the age-old tune of "mystic ripped me off" to that of "if it wasn't for mystic we'd never have had a record out, doug gave us an opportunity we'd not have had otherwise".

The old man can be quite generous too, he recently has given product to be sold/auctioned off for Mike of MIA's family, he's given help to countless former band members who fell on hard times and when I lost my job and was broke a couple years ago, he gave me a ton of stuff to sell and keep the cash from to help me keep my lights on and food on the table. He has also given me his ONLY copy of some valuable Mystic Records that he either could have kept for himself, or sold on ebay for big money. None of those actions are that of a greedy rip-off artist if you ask me.

And one thing to keep in mind, the memories of old punk rockers after years of partying, drug abuse, etc aren't the most accurate despite the fact they were there. George Anthony from Battalion of Saints has the most revisionist incorrect memory of all of them, but there's plenty more.

I actually love the music on this record, it is my favorite NOFX record

I've been pretty adamant with him about sending copies to band members I know where they are, and have on many occasions put him back in touch with some of them who were all too happy to get some product sent to them in teh mail

so you're actually sending copies of these represses to nofx? wonder what they're doing with them. snapping them in half probably because despite you liking the music they sure dont.

This was never supposed to be a record. NOFX got popular in the mid 90's so mystic records took both seven inchers and put them out on a cd with a bunch of demo songs. It's a totally sucky record and the artwork totally bites. We had no control over any of it. In fact we didn't know it was coming out until I saw one in a store. If you want to hear a totally crappy fucked album then this is the one for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

despite fat mike's warning i bought the cd when mystic repressed the grey vinyl. worst $20 i ever spent.

Fat Mike has actually offered a pretty large sum of money to Doug to buy the masters/rights to the Mystic NOFX recordings (doug respectfully declined) so I'm not sure how much he really hates his past unless he wants to bury it. Doug is supposed to be sending copies to Fat Mike of these recent copies and as recently as last week I was hounding him to make sure he does so. I'm sure when he does, Mike will sell them to one of his distributors. I personally am not sending records to anyone, I just do work for the old man getting these releases made, it's still all his label and responsibility. I've been doing artwork, recreating masters, giving him direction and been the "moral compass" of sorts for the label the past couple years. He's nearly 80 years old, and a bit slow in getting things done and in getting me my copies of this stuff (you all will have these red ones before I ever even see one in person).

I'm pretty sure the "demo songs" were really just all the songs from the Mystic compilations they were on as they were on a few and probably some of it was stuff recorded for planned compilations, etc that never happened (there were quite a few planned comps that never came out as well).

Anyway, you can argue all of this until yr blue in the face but the bottom line is these bands for better or worse signed the agreements they signed, Mystic owns the masters and can repackage them however they see fit and if any of these bands feel slighted or are wondering where their copies are, all they have to do is get in touch with the old man, it's not like anyone sent in change of address/phone number cards to him in the past 20+ years. He so far has made good with everyone recently who has gotten back in touch with him if he's currently pressing records/CDs of their recordings by giving them stuff.

And as for not liking it, to each his own. Had I not been around at the time and heard those recordings after getting into the band from a much newer release and being familiar with that NOFX sound, I may not like these early recordings either but for me that is the NOFX I knew and loved so its still my favorite NOFX record to this day.

Fat Mike has actually offered a pretty large sum of money to Doug to buy the masters/rights to the Mystic NOFX recordings (doug respectfully declined) so I'm not sure how much he really hates his past unless he wants to bury it.

honestly i'd imagine thats exactly what he wants to do with it.

but besides that point, good post. i like a long post. i learn things :)

seeing as doug's 80 i hate to say it but what happens to the label when he dies? who gets it?

Wow, somehow thru the course of posting in this thread, my Karma went down to a -1! I guess some people don't like it when someone in the know reports the facts. Ah well.

what did it start at? i find my karma randomly goes down for some reason sometimes. i'm usually pretty harsh in my posts though : P

i rarely leave karma myself. i think my records are +4 and -13

It wasn't high, like a 2 or a 3 and it got down to a -1 after posting in this thread. I'm not losing sleep over it, I just found it a bit odd.

at the current rate of my karma i may reach a record low soon! was always hoping for like -70 but you'd be surprised at how difficult it actually is to get that many people pissed off at you.

So what if no one likes that record? If you dont like it, then don't buy it! I'm sick of all this "worst music ever", "worst $20 ever spent" and whatnot. We all know what music that record contains, but we can't bury it. Nor can Fat Mike. Tha was their beginning and maybe 99% of the NOFX listeners don't like this record, but this is not a good reason to argue over it and alway talk about it as it was a disgrace for the band. It was just 20 years ago and NOFX were 20 years younger than now. It's another type of music and another age. Don't you like it? Don't buy it and don't listen to it. But that's part of NOFX history anyway.

So what if no one likes that record? If you dont like it, then don't buy it! I'm sick of all this "worst music ever", "worst $20 ever spent" and whatnot. We all know what music that record contains, but we can't bury it. Nor can Fat Mike. Tha was their beginning and maybe 99% of the NOFX listeners don't like this record, but this is not a good reason to argue over it and alway talk about it as it was a disgrace for the band. It was just 20 years ago and NOFX were 20 years younger than now. It's another type of music and another age. Don't you like it? Don't buy it and don't listen to it. But that's part of NOFX history anyway.

Amen! Well said. Except for Bad Religion's "Into the Unknown" I think it's silly for bands to suddenly hate their past. Those guys were just starting out and Mystic gave them a place to do it, who knows if they hadn't done those Mystic Records maybe they wouldn't have kept at it or ever gotten out of their basements, you never know. Sure they have changed a lot, but that's not a good reason to want to bury yr beginnings, everyone had to start somewhere.

And for as many people who are bitching about that record "sucking", it sure seems to sell alright. He presses 500 of them and they sell so fast he ends up making more so someone out there must be enjoying those records. I know I still listen to those recordings regularly, but I'm an old punk guy who still listens mostly to the punk rock I grew up on.

In other Mystic related news - look for Dr. Know and Ill Repute color vinyl LPs coming soon. I'm pretty excited about both of them and not because I did (or in this case re-created) the covers.

Amen! Well said. Except for Bad Religion's "Into the Unknown" I think it's silly for bands to suddenly hate their past. Those guys were just starting out and Mystic gave them a place to do it, who knows if they hadn't done those Mystic Records maybe they wouldn't have kept at it or ever gotten out of their basements, you never know. Sure they have changed a lot, but that's not a good reason to want to bury yr beginnings, everyone had to start somewhere.

And for as many people who are bitching about that record "sucking", it sure seems to sell alright. He presses 500 of them and they sell so fast he ends up making more so someone out there must be enjoying those records. I know I still listen to those recordings regularly, but I'm an old punk guy who still listens mostly to the punk rock I grew up on.

Totally agreed.

ok #1 people aren't buying the records for the music. they're buying them for the collectibility and because its by NOFX.

#2 - how was i supposed to legally listen to that music without buying a copy? i will never buy a copy again and it was the worst $20 i ever spent. i don't see how i was supposed to not spend that $20 and find out if i like it or not. not sure why i just didn't steal it online.

ok #1 people aren't buying the records for the music. they're buying them for the collectibility and because its by NOFX.

ok, but i bet someone likes it. at least mxv and i do. and it means people are interested in it, anyway.

#2 - how was i supposed to legally listen to that music without buying a copy? i will never buy a copy again and it was the worst $20 i ever spent. i don't see how i was supposed to not spend that $20 and find out if i like it or not. not sure why i just didn't steal it online.

you had never heard people saying that record sucks? ok, now you know and you can burn it off and completely forget about it.

you had never heard people saying that record sucks? ok, now you know and you can burn it off and completely forget about it.

i actually bought it because someone on nofxwiki said it was good. i honestly think it was you actually. then i posted about it and said it was terrible and pretty much just got agreement all around. that was the first i'd really heard about it on there. no one really talks about it (for some strange reason wonder why? probably cause its such a great album). it first started getting talked about after the represses.

i actually bought it because someone on nofxwiki said it was good. i honestly think it was you actually. then i posted about it and said it was terrible and pretty much just got agreement all around. that was the first i'd really heard about it on there. no one really talks about it (for some strange reason wonder why? probably cause its such a great album). it first started getting talked about after the represses.

probably. i like it.