Info on Pro-Ject 1.2 Turntables?

corbet

They are fucking amazing. My dad's friend is a huge audiophile and has the nicest set up I've ever seen. It sounds beyond good. Granted the other very high end parts of his set up just make it sound so much better than what I'm guessing you'll have, but either way it's a damn nice turntable.

I'm pretty sure this was a pre-cursor to the current Pro-ject Debut III and retailed somewhere in the $320 range. As long as everything is in good condition, its probably still a fine turntable, and is most likely picking up if you can get it for half the original cost.

Pro-ject makes some pretty good stuff, but in the end I prefer Regas simply because they've been around so long. If you can't pick that Pro-ject up for a song, then I'd pass.

If you want super quality and great sound, check out an Acoustic Research XA (AR XA). Its a vintage table, so you'll most likely come across some duds, but if you find the right one on ebay, its a great 'table and you should be able to pick one up for under $150 or less. This one will compete with any modern table in the $400 range.

Buy a technics sl 1200 instead it's a better turntable

Oh my god, are you joking?

Yes, the Technics SL 1200 is a workhorse, and will last forever. Yes, the Technics SL 1200 is a very popular turntable. However, its a DJ 'table and they're not made for casual listening, they're made for constant abuse, scratching, and years of service. No, it is not built for sound quality and no it will NOT sound better than a Pro-ject.

Direct drive turntables are inferior in terms of sound quality to belt driven turntables. This isn't hog wash, this is physics. Direct drive tables work by coupling the motor with the spindle. The problem is the motor vibrates and that goes straight to the spindle, hence reduced sound quality. Check out any audiophile turntable, they're all belt drive. In the last couple years turntable makers have introduced direct drive audiophile turntables, but they cost $20,000 or more, most of that money is put into isolating that motor vibration from the spindle as much as possible.