Overrated bands?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bands/ albums do you think are completely overrated?

I really wasn't too huge on the newest Loved Ones album. I left after a couple songs when I saw them live. I thought Keep your Heart was pretty good, though.

I like the albums of the Loved Ones but they aren't that good live.

I think Bad Religion is overrated by a lot of people, a lot of my friends like them but I think their music is pretty boring.

What bands/ albums do you think are completely overrated?

I really wasn't too huge on the newest Loved Ones album. I left after a couple songs when I saw them live. I thought Keep your Heart was pretty good, though.

I like the albums of the Loved Ones but they aren't that good live.

Agreed. I love the new album now, but when I saw them support NOFX late last year, they fucking sucked.

Guest kevinb

I think people get so pissed that gaslight is getting this big, and there just playing some fuckin punk music, nothing special its just in vein of all the classic shit, it dosent always have to be original and all studio glossed up(not that punk ever is either of those two.. you get what im sayin though)

I think people get so pissed that gaslight is getting this big, and there just playing some fuckin punk music, nothing special its just in vein of all the classic shit, it dosent always have to be original and all studio glossed up(not that punk ever is either of those two.. you get what im sayin though)
They are playing Bruce Springsteen with a kinda raspy voice. It's not punk. And Springsteen is tolerable at best.

To me, this thread is rather meaningless.

If the question asked was "Name some bands that are overrated" rather than "What bands do you think are overrated" then perhaps it would be valid. As it stands, this thread would be better off being titled "Bands you don't like."

I feel that some people do not grasp the concept of defining something as "overrated."

For example, someone mentioned the Beatles. If you think the Beatles are overrated then you should turn in your ear drums and almost any record you've purchased that was released after 1960. Not only did the Beatles change the way music sounded, they also paved the way in terms of how it was recorded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles%27_influence_on_music_recording).

There are a few other bands mentioned here that have pushed the musical envelope by creating a genre or excelling one to knew heights. In that regards they can't really be "overrated" because they've actually done something notable.

On the other hand (even though they're my favorite band), Weezer could be classified as overrated. Would music be any different if Weezer were never a band? Sure it would be slightly different, but the impact wouldn't be the same if Nirvana never existed.