United Nations streaming

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kevinb

who cares its music take it for what it is,dose it realy matter?

Yes. I think it does matter.

Lots of kids who don't know any better are going to listen to this and think that's what power violence and grindcore really sounds like. Next thing you know they start calling bands that sound similar to UN, power violence. And after a while what was once a genre of music, becomes a generic term that means nothing.

Just look at the word "emo". Years ago I used to check out a band if they were labeled emo. Back then the genre name itself gave me a basic idea of what the music would probably sound like. These days the term is thrown around so loosely that it could mean a number of things, and it is almost never the genre of music that it once was.

I don't want the same thing to happen to other genres of music that I enjoy.

oh boo hoo what are we teenage girls? who cares.. seriously i highly doubt UN will have a minute response overall anyways i highly,highly doubt its going to draw that amount of attention to those two genre's....

i'd say there are PLENTY other bands, scene bands mind you,out there right now that are contributing to ruining the meaning of grindcore much more than UN because its not real grind, bands that call themselves grind like arsonists get all the girls, dr. acula,see you next tuseday & all of that garbage... and kids pay much more attn to that shit

Yes. I think it does matter.

Lots of kids who don't know any better are going to listen to this and think that's what power violence and grindcore really sounds like. Next thing you know they start calling bands that sound similar to UN, power violence. And after a while what was once a genre of music, becomes a generic term that means nothing.

Just look at the word "emo". Years ago I used to check out a band if they were labeled emo. Back then the genre name itself gave me a basic idea of what the music would probably sound like. These days the term is thrown around so loosely that it could mean a number of things, and it is almost never the genre of music that it once was.

I don't want the same thing to happen to other genres of music that I enjoy.

oh boo hoo what are we teenage girls? who cares.. seriously i highly doubt UN will have a minute response overall anyways i highly,highly doubt its going to draw that amount of attention to those two genre's....

i'd say there are PLENTY other bands, scene bands mind you,out there right now that are contributing to ruining the meaning of grindcore much more than UN because its not real grind, bands that call themselves grind like arsonists get all the girls, dr. acula,see you next tuseday & all of that garbage... and kids pay much more attn to that shit

Are you kidding? You don't think UN will have a minute response overall? Their cd is #8 already on Interpunk and in every cd description and every interview I have seen they are claiming to be a power violence/grindcore band. Every Thursday fan and Glassjaw fan is buying this just because of who is in the band. I would say this album is having an enormous impact on the public perception of what those genres are.

And yeah, your right about those other bands. Grind/grindcore is one of the most overused terms in heavy music. It has almost become just as generic a term as "emo".

Maybe you weren't into emo in the 90's so you don't know what it's like to have a style of music you like be completely misrepresented and morph into something you want no part of. Maybe it's not that important, but it sure as hell is annoying. I tend to check out new bands based in part on the genre they play. When the genres become meaningless, how will people know what bands to check out?

hey kurtz, i completely get what your saying with the genres and stuff, but the people in the band have nothing to do with me liking it. i'm not a thursday or glassjaw fan, but i enjoy this alot. also, i don't think this band is grindcore or power-violence, so my perception hasn't changed about any genre of music because of this band.

i do understand some people who are less informed may think this is grind or power-violence or whatever, but not everyone is gonna think that. in fact, some people may look up the terms and listen to new bands (that are better than UN) and start listening to better music.

hey kurtz, i completely get what your saying with the genres and stuff, but the people in the band have nothing to do with me liking it. i'm not a thursday or glassjaw fan, but i enjoy this alot. also, i don't think this band is grindcore or power-violence, so my perception hasn't changed about any genre of music because of this band.

i do understand some people who are less informed may think this is grind or power-violence or whatever, but not everyone is gonna think that. in fact, some people may look up the terms and listen to new bands (that are better than UN) and start listening to better music.

Yeah, it's not gonna fool everyone and of course you don't have to be a Thursday or Glassjaw fan to like this.

I just think it's really dumb how the band is misrepresenting their style of music. They bring it up in every interview and description of the band knowing full well thats not the style they are playing. It's almost as if they are name dropping a genre of music to give themselves some underground cred or something. It's stupid.

Guest kevinb

Are you kidding? You don't think UN will have a minute response overall? Their cd is #8 already on Interpunk and in every cd description and every interview I have seen they are claiming to be a power violence/grindcore band. Every Thursday fan and Glassjaw fan is buying this just because of who is in the band. I would say this album is having an enormous impact on the public perception of what those genres are.

And yeah, your right about those other bands. Grind/grindcore is one of the most overused terms in heavy music. It has almost become just as generic a term as "emo".

Maybe you weren't into emo in the 90's so you don't know what it's like to have a style of music you like be completely misrepresented and morph into something you want no part of. Maybe it's not that important, but it sure as hell is annoying. I tend to check out new bands based in part on the genre they play. When the genres become meaningless, how will people know what bands to check out?

ok i definetly see where your coming from, and yeah it dose kind of mis-lable music, no i wasnt into emo when it started evolving, i was a sheltered wigger ha ha.. but Im into alot of the "Real emo" bands now and it dose discust me sometimes how much the word has been misused... i see what your saying, i duno most people into Thursday & Glassjaw tend to have better music tastes so i dont think it will be that bad but i guess we will see.

seeing as they seem to be extremely sarcastic about everything maybe they ment the whole grindcore/powerviolence as a joke. Maybe it's suppossed to be ironic.

Oh and by the way, what the fuck is powerviolence? i've never heard anyone use that term ever before.

here's a few of the more well known power violence bands, to give you an idea of what is sounds like.

Charles Bronson

http://www.myspace.com/charlesmuthafuckinbronson

Man Is The Bastard

http://www.myspace.com/mitbpower

Capitalist Casualties

http://www.myspace.com/capitalistcasualties

Hellnation

http://www.myspace.com/hellnationofficial

Spazz

http://www.myspace.com/spazzflowerpower

has anyone bothered to notice everytime they use the term "powerviolence" they mention a real band in that genre?

if anything this will make those less informed check out the real deal.

shit just read their faq on the site...

Answer: Power Violence was a genre coined in the Slap-a-ham era and popularized by bands with short and aggressively fast songs with clever (if somewhat crass) titles. The early to mid nineties spawned an off shoot known as emo-power-violence... Terrible name but great bands: Orchid, Reversal of Man, etc. These are the bands that have inspired us.

-UN

i think it'll give the genre more exposure....

I really really enjoy this. Granted, I am a huge fan of Thursday/Glassjaw, but I'm a big Orchid fan as well. I don't see the comparison, maybe in some parts, but not overall. It just sounds like a really pissed off Thursday, and I fucking dig it. Definitely need more time to listen. BTW, the saxophone in the last song is great, lol, it's just about as ridiculous as you could get.

my friend told me about this today and that it sounds like Reversal of Man - This Is Medicine...

so I got off work and came home to listen and I must be either deaf or missing something? Oh well. He also said the vinyl was going to be pressed by the mighty Deathwish Inc Hardcore Hype label... for those of you curious about the vinyl? No clue though.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the band has run into legal trouble for that limited cover:

(from Punknews.org)

United Nations have run into distribution problems with their debut full length online at MySpace. According to a new interview, stores are refusing to carry the album due to the artwork:

We worked [on the cover art] with this British anarchist artist named James Cauty, and he did all this great stuff. But it had some copyright issues, and that's why all the distributors and stores refuse to carry it. We have 1,000 copies of this album sitting around with artwork that has been banned and we're trying to figure out what to do with those.

The art features imagery similar to the Beatles classic, Abbey Road but with some flaming modifications. You can compare the art with the album artwork here.

The rest of the interview can be found via MTV.com.

The project features Geoff Rickly from Thursday, Daryl Palumbo of Glassjaw and Head Automatica, Chree from the Number 12 Looks Like You and Kiss It Goodbye's Eric Cooper. Though originally described as a "grind" side project, many have drawn comparisons to early screamo outfits like Saetia and the Gravity Records roster.

http://www.punknews.org/article/30332