Listen...do you smell something?

lostatsea

possible new GB movie in the works. here is the article

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy- nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.

man, I love Ghostbusters (and the thread title cracked me up!). The second one was AWFUL though.

I don't know about awful.. but in my opinion definately wasn't as good as the first. not even close

here is a little more in depth article.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/20080904/122057112000.html

Look, Ghostbusters is the greatest movie ever made, but I am totally against this. I thought this 80's revival thing was waning. Leave the first two untainted and monuments to classic 80's movies. A new movie (presumably with 'new hip young' cast with the old cast as mentors...Ben Stiller and Sean William Scott *vomits*) would just totally besmirch the originals. I hear Bill Murray absolutely refuses to do a new one and I pray to God he sticks with it.

And the only major thing about the second one is that they save the day with love. That was pure cheese for sure.

I do wanna play that new video game though...

i love ghostbusters more than anything. it was my favorite movie as a kid and probably still is today. i even really liked the 2nd one. but i dont know how i feel about this. i mean, it needs to be good. REALLY good. like, "we'd be stupid not to do this" good. i dont want another ghostbusters movie for the sake of cashing in on the franchise.

ive read the rumors about seth rogen and paul rudd being involved in a new one, and quite frankly, i hate the whole idea of it. i cant stand seth rogen. always have. and it seems like hes overstaying his welcome with a lot of other people. i dont mind rudd, but ghostbusters should be the original four and no one else or let the franchise rest in peace with dignity before hollywood destroys another classic.

i recently watched both rocky balboa and live free or die hard and i really disliked them both. rocky balboa was such a sad and depressing way to close out the saga (though, i can live with it a little bit more because the story came straight from stallone) and live free or die hard was simply insulting to my intelligence and horrible in nearly every way. the point is though, if you're going to dig up the classics-- you better have ideas/script/a plot/everything else thats on par with the original(s) and rarely does that happen.

I really hope this doesn't happen. The first Ghostbusters film has been one of my favorites since the day I saw it in the theater. Amazing movie and only gets better with time. Ghostbusters 2...? Significantly less awesome. Bill Murray didn't even want to do that one - I remember reading an interview where he said he had no desire to do it, but they offered him too much money. Hopefully he will refuse to do a third and they'll let it die.

I agree with mattisr about Rocky Balboa. It wasn't terrible (and was a better way to close out the Rocky franchise than Rocky V was, you have to admit), but they should have just called it Two Sad Old Dudes. What a downer of a movie.

I always get excited when I hear a studio is bringing back one of my favorites or adapting one of my childhood favorites to the big screen, but the result is always a colossal disappointment - the new Indiana Jones movie, for instance. It was ok, but should have been beyond incredible. Transformers? Again. Or how about the massive pile of shit that was Blues Brothers 2000?

Hopefully Columbia knows better.