a URP question

jailhouse

Has anyone done a repress of an album, that was originally on another label through United?

If so, did you have to do all kinds of stupid paperwork and licencing forms to do it?

Also has anyone done anything through URP with a cover song on it?

yet another reason I hate trying to use URP.

Anyone with experience with the above with a response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Repressing an album using the same plates as another label...I've done it before and I'm actually about to do it again. All they needs is for the person who originally did it to call in and give the go ahead and then fax in a letter stating the same.

Cover songs. I pressed a 7" with one on it and they didn't even notice. Then again it was a project X song. I think you can get away with lesser known songs without a hassle but I wouldn't go trying to put a beatles song on there or something.

lots of plants have licensing paperwork. even for original projects.

if it's gonna be an issue to get yer record pressed, LIE on the forms and yer all set.

other advice about United: don't use them.

yeah I used United once years ago, and have been scared to use em since, but have heard decent things as of late about em.

I am familar with pressing plants as I run a label myself. URP is just so damn strict with everything.

The Press I was thinking of doing with URP is a label that no longer exist,(over 20 years old) and urps cover song policy is weird.

I wish Musicol would let up.

Seriously with United just state that you own the copyrights to everything. They'll never know the difference...unless it's some super famous recording you're trying to do.

Ok, thank you very much.

I always here horror stories about somebody putting like a grand down, and then losing the whole pressing and most of the money due to some stupid dispute or something.

Thanks a lot.

It's Descendents Milo Goes to College, so they might know about that?

Ok nobody got the joke.

That was my lame attempt at Tom Foolery

Seriously with United just state that you own the copyrights to everything. They'll never know the difference...unless it's some super famous recording you're trying to do.

Ok, thank you very much.

I always here horror stories about somebody putting like a grand down, and then losing the whole pressing and most of the money due to some stupid dispute or something.

Thanks a lot.

It's Descendents Milo Goes to College, so they might know about that?

Ok nobody got the joke.

That was my lame attempt at Tom Foolery

If there was any sort of dispute you'd lose the money you gave them to do the plating and that's it. They wouldn't keep the money sent for the actual pressing. That would actually be illegal.

Just license the cover song. It costs 8 cents per copy per song. So what, $40 if you press 500 records?

I used them to press the Fordirelifesake/Hewhocorrupts split 7". Both were cover songs (Welcome to the Jungle and Love Song) and I licensed both and had no problems.

Yeah of course, the song is properly licenced. Everything is always done legally and and licencing payments are made etc, It just seemed that URP had some different rules when it came to licenced songs etc, like they required weird kinds of proof etc.

I guess their website makes it seem more strict then it really is to keep bootleggers out etc.

But yeah, everything we do is 110% legal. We would never do a cover or sample without following the proper legal procedures!

I certainly don't want anyone to get the wrong impression!

Anyway speaking of GNR, wev'e been seriously thinking of doing a GNR tribute album. Punk covers of gnr songs.

By the way I believe the licence fee went up to 9.1 cents for 500 or less, and songs under 5 min.

still no biggie, just for the record

I understand your concern. When I was trying to get everything ready for the Sleeper Horse / Echoes split, the Echoes of Harper's Ferry side had an old sample on it from 1973, President of Chile. I simply asked them about it and they kept saying, it's copyright, you can't use it. It wasn't. It was actually pretty ridiculous to the point where I just went with a more expensive plant that knew better (off the top of their heads) and wouldn't have given two shits anyway.

Public speeches by the President are NOT copyrighted. That's just absurd.

9.1 cents? How do you pay them 1/10th of a cent? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the total number of copies is a multiple of 10, but still, weird.

United just has a form you need to show you're the copyright owner, or if not, a letter from whoever IS the copyright owner. Not a big deal at all. If it's a cover, you're still the copyright owner (or whoever performed the song is) of that particular version of it.....just need to show proof of licensing.

Bear in mind that URP has two people that do nothing but listen to everything that comes through the door. They are VERY good at catching covers, samples, etc. They will catch punk songs and stuff you might not think (Replacements, X, Guided By Voices), although they are not going to catch covers of hardcore bands that never published their songs officially.

The place to look at for licensing covers or low-runs is the Harry Fox Agency. Google it or something.

Bear in mind that URP has two people that do nothing but listen to everything that comes through the door. They are VERY good at catching covers, samples, etc. They will catch punk songs and stuff you might not think (Replacements, X, Guided By Voices), although they are not going to catch covers of hardcore bands that never published their songs officially.

The place to look at for licensing covers or low-runs is the Harry Fox Agency. Google it or something.

Of course, everything is already licenced. We already have the publishing.

Again, I just thought URP had some sort of odd stipulations that kind of butted heads with traditional licencing procedures etc.

I was able to licence the cover song directly through the publisher actually via ASCAP.

But all is well, never in my life have I ever released anything illegally, or without paying licencing, having proper rights or paying artist their royalties/syncs etc. Not quite sure how this thread turned into that.

I do appreciate the info however.