Celebrate archaic hassles calling it validity

mattramone

"I feel like the Internet is taking away so much of the D.I.Y. that fueled punk for me when I was younger. Whereas once you had to sort of create a scene wherever you were. No bands coming through, you’d book a show. No local bands, you’d start one. Have something to say, you’d write a zine. And if you wanted to learn about new bands, your only options were the reviews in the back of MRR or picking up a cheap comp.

Whereas now, it’s like everything is so accessible, there’s no effort in being into punk rock...

[...]

You’ll see a post on PunkNews about something I did and all the lazy Internet rats will whine about me not living up to their expectations, that I’m not supplying them the quality entertainment they demand to be hand-fed like fucking goats at a petting zoo. Blah. Sorry, tirade. Fucking tools, fuck them."

-Mitch Clem

Mitch apparently doesn't like it when people can find bands across the world that they like and meet likeminded people. Punk rock is about being obnoxious and closed off, I guess.

Mitch apparently doesn't like it when people can find bands across the world that they like and meet likeminded people. Punk rock is about being obnoxious and closed off, I guess.

He's probably just annoyed people he perceives to be lazy bastard who just sit in their chairs in front of their computer complaining as opposed to doing anything pro-active. I sympathize there.

I can totally see where he's coming from to a point. The good ol' days has its advantages and disadvantages, but if you were in the scene back then, you had to put in the effort to do so. Whether you were in a band or just a fan of punk rock, you had to put in effort no matter what you were doing. whether it was writing to bands to get info on records or demos. or the person doing flyers for shows, or writing a zine, throwing a show, or what not.

I miss the days when you can write a band and you'd get a personal letter back. rather than a mass email. nowadays it takes no effort and emails are probably the most impersonal form of communication. though it does get the info out to the masses, so that is a advantage when it comes to info, but a disadvantage on a personal level.

But boy do i love the fact now that i can do all my show searching from home.

But damnit, if there's one thing i miss is show flyers. i love show flyers!!!

I can see where he's coming from. Punk's become more of a spectator sport these days thanks to myspace. I mean even back in the day you could write Green Day and get a letter back with tons of stickers. Local shows took more effort, etc. Kids these days (and i know how dumb that sounds at 24) have no appreciation for how easy they really have it. Yelling at an artist because he's not giving you free comics fast enough is a good example.