NHL Discussion

well that's incredibly skewed by the amount of players who couldn't quite make it.

I would be interesting to see the average retire age for players who are playing at least until after 25 years old.

its not skewed at all, its taking the full data of all retired players, and if a lot of players retire young, it just shows the sport is tough to last in. excluding them would skew the data, but if you want to know, at least a rough idea, just add up the numbers of each age, and then divide the total amongst the number of ages represented. I really don't care about the average age of players who could make it, I want to know the average age of a hockey player, and if a majority of them can't cut it, then the statistics are valid as shown.

well, since you seem to have taken offense...the graph on the bottom is actually skewed right.

I guess what I mean to say is that,

you asked a question about the average retirement age and were surprised by the "young age"

i guess i'll say that the data is a little inflated with young guys retiring which lowers the age number significantly.

well, since you seem to have taken offense...the graph on the bottom is actually skewed right.

I guess what I mean to say is that,

you asked a question about the average retirement age and were surprised by the "young age"

i guess i'll say that the data is a little inflated with young guys retiring which lowers the age number significantly.

im not offended as much as I am annoyed. you always, always, have to have your correcting input on everything. you can't just leave something be, you have to find some reason to say basically say "youre wrong" to anything posted ever. you always have to find a way to be the person that knows it all.

did you even bother to read the authors interpretation of the statistics? probably not, so i'll just quote it for you so you can read it. These stats are not complete either, they do not include any retirements beyond the lockout, so the numbers and graphs will shift further to the right as more players are playing longer into their careers.

Although its not entirely transparent from the break down above, it is safe to say that the retirement distribution is gradually shifting to the right as players and goalies are playing to an older age.

Some indication of this can already be seen on the charts constructed for 2000/01 - 2003/04 seasons, and when we add players who we know retired in their 40s such as Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Tommy Albelin and Dave Andreychuck as well as those who are yet to retire e.g. Chris Chelios, Teppo Numminen and Gary Roberts, we can start to sketch what the distribution for 2000s will look like once complete.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=284062

If Chris Pronger retires with term and salary remaining on his contract after next season, does his money stay on the Flyers' cap?

There's some confusion today in Philadelphia over that simple question.

According to the NHL, the answer is yes. The seven-year, $35 million extension Pronger agreed to on Tuesday doesn't commence until after June 30, 2010. Pronger will be 35 at that point and any remaining salary will remain on the cap.

The Flyers disagree and interpret the CBA language governing the "over 35" clause differently.

Sources say the Flyers' lawyers are now aware of the league's stance and are debating this issue.

Chris Pronger turns 35 on October 10, almost a full year before his seven-year extension with the Flyers kicks in.

fine - it's a graph that says nothing of importance then.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=284062

If Chris Pronger retires with term and salary remaining on his contract after next season, does his money stay on the Flyers' cap?

There's some confusion today in Philadelphia over that simple question.

According to the NHL, the answer is yes. The seven-year, $35 million extension Pronger agreed to on Tuesday doesn't commence until after June 30, 2010. Pronger will be 35 at that point and any remaining salary will remain on the cap.

The Flyers disagree and interpret the CBA language governing the "over 35" clause differently.

Sources say the Flyers' lawyers are now aware of the league's stance and are debating this issue.

Chris Pronger turns 35 on October 10, almost a full year before his seven-year extension with the Flyers kicks in.

even if the "over 35" rule applies I still think its a great contract and they need the extra two years to lower he cap hit.

pronger seems to want to finish out the contract...if he does its a moot point

if he can't, he will get thrown on LTIR and there won't be a cap hit.

lets put it this way,

I would much rather have him at a cap hit of 4.92 than a cap hit of 6.5+.

the extra million and a half can go right into the braydon coburn fund next year