NEWS FLASH! Not all records are "collectible"

There's been a few occasions where I've seen records for sale in the classifieds section that I want, yet are still in print, readily available, and inexpensive to buy new. One (or at least I) would assume that since it's a used record that I would be cheaper than the same record new, however when I inquire about the price I'm almost always quoted prices that are the same, or close to the same, as the new price.

I pose a perhaps rhetorical question. Why would I buy your record, that has had it's grooves raped by your worn stylus on your poorly set up turn table and a cover with bend corners and splitting seams, when I can, for the same price, buy a minty fresh, virgin, never been (ab)used copy?

Not everything is _insert some rare Against Me pressing or the like here_. Some times a used record is just a used record. You shouldn't expect to be able to buy a record for $9 and then sell it for $9. Why this is such a common belief here is beyond me.

This can only lead me to assume there are dumb-dumbs paying $9 for used records they can get for $9 new. To you I say I have a car that I paid $30,000 for it new. I'll sell it to you for a deal price of $30,000 despite having used it for the past seven years. Jump on now before someone else snatches it up or before I decide to keep it.

Sorry to rant a little, but I don't like feeling like I'm the asshole for assuming a used non-"out of print" record should sell for less the same record new. Again, it's happened multiple times, so I'm not trying to single anyone out.

(I can't wait to see how this adversely affects my karma!)

Maybe shipping? So, you get the $9 record for $6 plus $3 shipping? If that bothers you, go to the store and pay the $9.

For what it's worth, in every instance there were multiple records. I wouldn't waste someone's time asking to ship a single record unless it was of significant value.

I'm not saying the price they charge is fair but if you don't like it your not forced to buy it .No need to complain about peoples prices. they are welcome to charge whatever they see fit, if it doesn't sell thats on them. The point is they own it they can do whatever they want, they own the item.

i agree with xxmartinxx sentiment. in my cases, i've sourced the used version of a current, in print record so i can get it for cheaper, but usually the seller wont sell it for very much cheaper. for a coupla extra bucks, i'd buy the new product every time, but if its big bucks new, then i'd try for the 2nd hand one - usually without any luck.

then again, market forces and all that. why should a seller sell it for less than he wants if he knows he can get what he really wants for it from someone else.

but it is fun to go to flea markets and price records. Some people think everything they own is worth a fortune.

Heh, This made me think of this one lady who came in when I used to work at Borders. She wanted some record pricing guides b/c she wanted to sell a collection. Don't know who owned it, didn't care. We talked a little bit, she came in the next day with a box of records (seriously wtf!) and wanted me to price each one. Mind you , I said I collect records not I'm a fucking buyer. Anyways....All of the shit she had was like 70's rock easily accessible (new or used) and all the jackets were written on split, damaged, etc... The records themselves were just horrible in condition (large scratches, chipped, etc. She seriously thought she could get at least $100 a piece for them.

Yeah lady, no one's gonna buy a fucked up copy of Frampton Comes Alive from you for $100.

Sorry in advance, or later grammar is horrible just woke up.

Not everything is _insert some rare Against Me pressing or the like here_. Some times a used record is just a used record. You shouldn't expect to be able to buy a record for $9 and then sell it for $9. Why this is such a common belief here is beyond me.

)

Because 99% of the people of this board are newbs and don't think logically when it comes to record collecting, that's why.

Because 99% of the people of this board are newbs and don't think logically when it comes to record collecting, that's why.

Makes sense. Maybe they don't even listen to them, thus they are technically "new".

you probably hit the nail on the head right there. i have multiple copies of some records and only listen to one record. some are opened to look at color, some are still sealed. i still don't want to part with any of them, i'd rather keep them. i know most people's goal is to get all the colors in a press and use them for trading/flipping.

Makes sense. Maybe they don't even listen to them, thus they are technically "new".

you probably hit the nail on the head right there. i have multiple copies of some records and only listen to one record. some are opened to look at color, some are still sealed. i still don't want to part with any of them, i'd rather keep them. i know most people's goal is to get all the colors in a press and use them for trading/flipping.

By in large, these aren't colored copies. If they are sealed, it's never been stated. If that were the case, I'd understand.

in a tread in the S/T/W section, there is a copy of Teenage bottlerocket's Warning Device for $20(NOT PPD, i dont know if it has been played or not, i dont mean to call anyone out though)

http://vinylcollective.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=sale&action=display&thread=8960&page=1

I sit here and ask myself, why $20 plus shipping?

The VC store itself warning device sells for a 16.99 (after shipping is added).

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/vinylhome/Items/ccc118-1?sck=10275166&caSKU=ccc118-1&caTitle=TEENAGE%20BOTTLEROCKET%20%22Warning%20Device%22%20LP

this record is definately limited to /1000, but, it is still in print.

in two months when this record should be OOP, $20 will be an acceptable price, but right now, there is a better cheaper option.

in a tread in the S/T/W section, there is a copy of Teenage bottlerocket's Warning Device for $20(NOT PPD, i dont know if it has been played or not, i dont mean to call anyone out though)

http://vinylcollective.proboards79.com/index.cgi?board=sale&action=display&thread=8960&page=1

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/vinylhome/Items/ccc118-1?sck=10275166&caSKU=ccc118-1&caTitle=TEENAGE%20BOTTLEROCKET%20%22Warning%20Device%22%20LP

in two months when this record should be OOP, $20 will be an acceptable price, but right now, there is a better cheaper option.

That dude is at least in Australia and it probably cost him a small fortune to get it shipped to him.

That dude is at least in Australia and it probably cost him a small fortune to get it shipped to him.

well then, disregard that, i sucks cocks