I find the modern collector's love of colored odd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this won't sit well with some people, but I find it very odd that in the past people have asked for recommendations on turntables, cartridges, etc. but they want the cheapest possible solution. However, when the newest record comes out and its on 6 different colors, they have no problem pre-ordering every one. If you took that extra money saved from buying only one copy you could save up for a decent turntable setup. I promise you, records sound really, really, really good and you have no idea what you're missing by listening to them on DJ or USB 'tables.

Seriously... USB turntables? WTF? Does it play through your computer?

Playing a record you paid $100 for on a turntable that cost $100 is nuts. What's the point of having the body of a Ferrari but the guts of a Yugo?

The unfortunate reality, 99% of the people on this board wouldn't want a higher end turntable. They're a pain in the ass. When the record is done, you have to take the needle off yourself. You need to worry about setting it up properly.

But people should care about their setup. I'm sure most of the expensive vinyl on here, if it's getting played at all is being done so on beat to shit needles, being destroyed.

Blah blah...

This only further proves the "punk rock baseball card" theory. ;)

Vinyl might be becoming a trend. That means its getting more mainstream-minded people. That's great. That means more vinyl for the people who care about. I think your theory and your whole worry or whatever you want to call it is way off base. People play records on whatever they want. They figure out things sound better on better quality eventually. If everyone could afford a Ferrari then everyone would drive one. People can't afford them however, so they are both rarer and more sought after because of it. Also, just a last thing, if someone buys a record for $100 that doesn't mean said record sounds better, it just means its harder to come by. To me, your whole theory comes off as elitist horse shit.

Vinyl might be becoming a trend. That means its getting more mainstream-minded people. That's great. That means more vinyl for the people who care about. I think your theory and your whole worry or whatever you want to call it is way off base. People play records on whatever they want. They figure out things sound better on better quality eventually. If everyone could afford a Ferrari then everyone would drive one. People can't afford them however, so they are both rarer and more sought after because of it. Also, just a last thing, if someone buys a record for $100 that doesn't mean said record sounds better, it just means its harder to come by. To me, your whole theory comes off as elitist horse shit.

Man... your either really reading something into what I'm saying that isn't there, or not understanding what I'm saying.

I was about to defend myself against your "elitist horse shit" jab, but what you wrote is so convoluted, I have no idea what it refers to.

A couple other points on this. So many labels are making it a game for collectors to get the first rare press on a certain color, then people who don't get it spend $100's on ebay. My issue is that non-fans are buying anything that comes out because of value, or potential value, rather than a love for the music. Not much can be done about it, unfortunatley. My preference is for tour only vinyl, in limited presses. Get people out to see the bands they love.