I find the modern collector's love of colored odd

You're saying new-ish records and really rare as if they're mutually exclusive. I think that's unfair and muddles things. There's a ton of Against Me! stuff, to continue with flood's example, that was pressed in sub-100 amounts. That's pretty damn rare.

I'm talking about the music on the records, not the records themselves.

Sounds like you're just not a fan of today's music.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I don't understand why someone is busy looking for the 17th press of an Against Me record, I'm not a fan of today's music?

Hahaha, I agree. That's No Idea for you though. They try and make the least collectable things collectable for some reason. It's some obsessive compulsive shit right there.

Because I don't understand why someone is busy looking for the 17th press of an Against Me record, I'm not a fan of today's music?

My bad. I thought you said your were talking about the actual music on the record and not the pressing. I could care less about what pressing I have of Against Me!. I do have one of each of their LP's though, since I'm a fan.

wait what?

is this directed towards me?

do you want to fight?? PUNK@#?@?#@

ahha, i need that color to complete my collection... im so close, why stop now?

wait what?

is this directed towards me?

do you want to fight?? PUNK@#?@?#@

ahha, i need that color to complete my collection... im so close, why stop now?

haha.... Well, it was an easy example. I guess if you're missing that one color why stop now?

Hahaha, I agree. That's No Idea for you though. They try and make the least collectable things collectable for some reason. It's some obsessive compulsive shit right there.

I didn't even know that No Idea had a list of the pressing information until today. I'm shocked they do.

For the longest time, none of their records were worth anything because no one knew if it were 1 of a 100,000 of a certain color or what the fuck pressing it was. Now that cat's out of the bag and the collectors are out of their minds. Sucks that I dumped all my HWM and LTJ vinyl years ago. :'(

You're saying new-ish records and really rare as if they're mutually exclusive. I think that's unfair and muddles things. There's a ton of Against Me! stuff, to continue with flood's example, that was pressed in sub-100 amounts. That's pretty damn rare.

Then you are saying you're not a fan of today's music. Because the music on the records never made a record rare, necessarily. I don't understand why people go after the 17th pressing but that's their business and they owe no explanation to you or me or anyone. That said I still don't know how you make the above statement and then say its not about today's music.

To me it is easy. If I want to listen to it, I buy it. After that, it is kind of cool to have something that is rare or cool to look at. Thats it. I don't buy multiple pressings or colors of records, but I have no problem at all with people that do. There are just so many bands that I want to listen to I would rather buy a different record than a couple copies of the same.

That being said, I have 10 Barry Sanders Score Rookie cards, going to the highest bidder!!

I used to be about buying every HWM record in every press/color but now I'd rather have hundreds of different records by hundreds of different bands. It is kinda weird to look at some people's lists and they have 200-300 records, but its literally split up between about 10 bands. I'm not speaking about anyone here, just in general. Its really odd.

I've been collecting and listening to vinyl for 18+ years now...just as much time as you xxmartinxx...I can empathise with you about the color vs. pressing issue...I am always torn about this. I am completist nerd when it comes to certain bands and their releases. When I started getting into the game back in '89, it was far and few in between when most of the bands I was into would put out their vinyl in anything other than black vinyl...back then I'd only come across clear (which was more like a translucent greenish) and burgundy...but it was still fun to get that rare and weird color...

Nowadays, it can be any color under the sun...and it's fun...

My sig says "I love color vinyl" and I indeed do...it makes the hobby more fun...

Maybe I amuse easily...but we each have our preferences when it comes to collecting and listening to this so-called dead format...

Isn't all of this what really makes someone a record collector rather than just someone who listens to vinyl?

I mean, if you're a numismatist you collect coins. You don't just get one penny one nickel, one quarter and say your collection is complete. You look for rare printings, errors, variations, etc.

I am an alkaline trio fan. I ordered all six colors of goddamnit repress coming out. I have the original pressing on black, but I ordered these others anyway. It's not that I ordered them specifically because they are colored, but because I am a huge fan of the band, I collect vinyl, and my favorite band is putting something out on vinyl that's different that the original pressing.

It's those variations that make the collecting part enjoyable.

It's just so crazy to me that new-ish records are going for more than really rare records. I understand the idea of supply and demand, I just don't understand the demand.

I totally agree. I've begun to fill my backorder the last year or so while stuff is still reasonable, or at least compared to chasing new vinyl. There is so much good stuff that won't be on the 141st press in 10 years.

Surely it should be about the music. I'd rather see an album on vinyl that hasn't been released on LP before than another press of a HWM (for example) on sky blue pink.

Having said that, when I first started buying records (late 70s), my mates and I always wanted different variations of an album, but in those days that meant trying to get the UK/US/German/French/etc. versions of albums and singles. Hence I have 10 copies of Skids Scared to Dance LP, from different locations, but all are black vinyl, and half a dozen of Ramones Too Tough to Die, etc. etc.

These days I don't have the money to buy more than one copy of an LP, as there's so much stuff out there, I'd rather spend £100 on 10 different records than 10 of the same on different colours. I don't knock folks who do it though - if it's your fave band, then why not. I have all the AM! records, but only one copy of each - don't really want other pressings, but something deep down makes me a little jealous of those that have 182 copies of it......

Then you are saying you're not a fan of today's music. Because the music on the records never made a record rare, necessarily. I don't understand why people go after the 17th pressing but that's their business and they owe no explanation to you or me or anyone. That said I still don't know how you make the above statement and then say its not about today's music.

Again, you misunderstand me. I understand hunting down a record because you don't own the music. I don't so much understand hunting down a record you have 10 other copies of because you don't have that particular color. They don't owe me an explanation... I already know their reasons. It's just odd to me.

I know this won't sit well with some people, but I find it very odd that in the past people have asked for recommendations on turntables, cartridges, etc. but they want the cheapest possible solution. However, when the newest record comes out and its on 6 different colors, they have no problem pre-ordering every one. If you took that extra money saved from buying only one copy you could save up for a decent turntable setup. I promise you, records sound really, really, really good and you have no idea what you're missing by listening to them on DJ or USB 'tables.

I know this won't sit well with some people, but I find it very odd that in the past people have asked for recommendations on turntables, cartridges, etc. but they want the cheapest possible solution. However, when the newest record comes out and its on 6 different colors, they have no problem pre-ordering every one. If you took that extra money saved from buying only one copy you could save up for a decent turntable setup. I promise you, records sound really, really, really good and you have no idea what you're missing by listening to them on DJ or USB 'tables.

BINGO!

Seriously... USB turntables? WTF? Does it play through your computer?

Playing a record you paid $100 for on a turntable that cost $100 is nuts. What's the point of having the body of a Ferrari but the guts of a Yugo?

The unfortunate reality, 99% of the people on this board wouldn't want a higher end turntable. They're a pain in the ass. When the record is done, you have to take the needle off yourself. You need to worry about setting it up properly.

But people should care about their setup. I'm sure most of the expensive vinyl on here, if it's getting played at all is being done so on beat to shit needles, being destroyed.

Blah blah...

This only further proves the "punk rock baseball card" theory. ;)

martin, harkening back to your original post and one of your last few, the reason collecting colored vinyl and such has overtaken the desire of just tracking down a record is because its not like it used to be in terms of accessing the actual music. i've been collecting for a long time too, and i remember (and kinda miss) the days when it was about finding records because it was songs you didn't have. but now, with the internet and digital music, nothing music-wise is hard to find. thus why record collecting has turned to the baseball card collecting mentality (which is a very true analogy). i don't think there's anything wrong with it, and if it dies out, then it'll just go back to people wanting records just for the music, so it works for me either way. so yeah, another thing to blame on technology. haha...

I honestly prefer black vinyl since I record my records digitally. Every little bit of sound quality helps, you know? And I don't care what anyone says: some colored vinyl sound like ass. That grey powder that comes off some silver LPs should be an indication.

That said, at least you're all buying records.

Guest scriptedrain

I've went in depth on this before, but I will say that being a "modern" collector, I do like when the color of the record goes good with the artwork of the release. The first record I owned was a red "Guilt Show", so maybe that's what latched me on from the start. To me, though, having different colors isn't the main reason to collect vinyl, but it is one of the reasons, of which there are many.