I find the modern collector's love of colored odd

Well, only slightly odd. I understand, it looks cool, but hear me out.

When I started collecting records 15 or so years ago, it was to find cool, out of print music. For example... if you wanted to listen to Youth Of Today's "We're Not In This Alone" or Naked Raygun's "Basement Screams", you'd have to find it. And it was fucking hard.

Now days it seems like colored vinyl trumps pressing. It used to be that the first press was always most desired, even if it were on black and subsequent pressings were on colored... now the opposite seems true.

Now people need to have a record on ever single color. Why is that?

Please help this confused old timer out.

I look forward to more smites!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Color only trumps pressing when the color is super rare and honestly I think most people would rather posses a first pressing than a random color. Though, on the whole, most around here want both.

As for the desire to have all the colors of a given record and all records from a given band, can't really provide a reason I do it besides its kind of fun tracing them all done and eBay stalking.

Guest falloutcollapse

I don't care about pressing or color or anything. If an album is out there, and I love it, I want to have it on vinyl. Bottom line, I guess.

I would take pressing over color. I think it has something to do (albeit unintentionally) with No Idea. They press so much stuff for such good bands that you have people diving head long through hell for a 1 of 30 Hot Water Music Album. If all pressings were done in the same number (say 500) I think everyone would go for the first, but the rarity plays a big part.

As for collecting all of one band, it's fun and a great homage to your favorite bands. Sometimes it's hard (Against Me!) sometimes it's easy (Young Livers) but it's usually quite interesting. Like I'm collecting New Mexican Disaster Squad and I wrote Richard of the band to see if he had any info on pressing and it turns out there were four copies of their split with Western Addiction that were on both blue and red vinyl. He has two and apparently No Idea had the other two. That's some crazy stuff to find out.

P.S. On a side note, I wrote Var about that and no luck (but I did score a test pressing) as it's not on No Idea's official discography I think it doesn't count, but if anyone can get one I'll totally rimjob for it.

When I started collecting records 15 or so years ago, it was to find cool, out of print music. For example... if you wanted to listen to Youth Of Today's "We're Not In This Alone" or Naked Raygun's "Basement Screams", you'd have to find it. And it was fucking hard.

Now days it seems like colored vinyl trumps pressing. It used to be that the first press was always most desired, even if it were on black and subsequent pressings were on colored... now the opposite seems true.

Is that a VPI Scout in your avatar? Do you own one or did you just grab a picture of a turntable off the net?

Is that a VPI Scout in your avatar? Do you own one or did you just grab a picture of a turntable off the net?

I own one. Awesome table. Much better than the Music Hall MMF5 it replaced.

xxMartin, I'm somewhat in your boat.

I think people are hitting on it now. Much of it's really about collection. Obviously, rarity and limited pressings has always been around for a long time but not in this capacity. However, the opportunity to buy things online with a swift credit card/paypal transaction (combined with popularity of collecting) has accelerated the buying process much more so than old skool mailorder where money was sent in the mail of the few albums that you couldn't wait to get. Additionally, ebay and other outlets are creating an outlet for quick wealth creation. In many cases, people are buying what's rare and collectible over what they really love or will listen to.

1st presses will always be rare, valuable and desirable in my opinion. My concern for people with huge collections of color/or various pressings of one lp is similar to the whole baseball card and comic book craze of the 80's and 90's. At the time they were popular, they were worth lots of money so people stockpiled them. Now we know what happened to them.

I've been expecting a craze to really hit vinyl for a few years. With everything downloadable for free online, or free downloads with vinyl purchase, there is little reason to buy CDs. People needed an outlet bringing vinyl back to the masses. Much of it is good in my book but a bit overwhelming from a collection standpoint.

It's just so crazy to me that new-ish records are going for more than really rare records. I understand the idea of supply and demand, I just don't understand the demand.

whys it crazy?

for example theres alot more people currently into say Against Me! than say naked raygun. so more people are going to be going for the same pieces.. making the former alot more desirable not matter how much easier to come by it is

It's just so crazy to me that new-ish records are going for more than really rare records. I understand the idea of supply and demand, I just don't understand the demand.

You're saying new-ish records and really rare as if they're mutually exclusive. I think that's unfair and muddles things. There's a ton of Against Me! stuff, to continue with flood's example, that was pressed in sub-100 amounts. That's pretty damn rare.

i consider it the same ways as i did...12 years ago...(fuuuuuck) when i started to buy vinyl...if i get it on color, that's a bonus...but i don't go out of my way to seek out a record specifically on color and/or because it's on colored vinyl.

I grew up on vinyl, because that's what my dad listened to while growing up in the 80's. I remember when my dad bought a CD player(which was like $500 at at the time)...somewhere in the mid 80's and it was so convenient, but i still had that love of vinyl that never went away.

i only "collect" pressings from one band: x JUD JUD x because they're the most completely ridiculous band ever to me

In general i feel that treating records as collectibles is silly. I understand the idea of wanting all the colors...though...i just don't care enough to have multiples (aside from the stuff on my label).

yes i do recognize the irony/hypocrisies of condemning collecting and still collecting one bands records.

You're saying new-ish records and really rare as if they're mutually exclusive. I think that's unfair and muddles things. There's a ton of Against Me! stuff, to continue with flood's example, that was pressed in sub-100 amounts. That's pretty damn rare.

I'm talking about the music on the records, not the records themselves.

whys it crazy?

for example theres alot more people currently into say Against Me! than say naked raygun. so more people are going to be going for the same pieces.. making the former alot more desirable not matter how much easier to come by it is

People are turning records into punk rock baseball cards. They are just something to look at. I don't see the point of that.

I own one. Awesome table. Much better than the Music Hall MMF5 it replaced.

Yeah, thats a sweet turntable. What are you running in the rest of your system (speakers, amps, etc)?

I run a Grado Gold cartridge on it. My stereo is a Eico ST 40 integrated tube stereo that I bought a bunch of years ago, fixed up, modded, and upgraded. I've got Meadowlark Swift speakers.

Sometimes I think about changing out the cart for something else, but I'm fairly happy and system sounds great. I'd love to get a Mac MC275 and C22 preamp, but for a time when I have a spare $6k laying around.

Here is my thought on this matter. First pressings will always be more sought after than later pressings for record collectors that know there ass from a hole in the ground. First pressings of a record on LIMITED colored vinyl or limited editions will always be more collectable than the regular black vinyl pressings of an album unless, of course the black vinyl is the limited color. Following me? As for Dischord reissuing the Minor Threat 12" on color.....who gives a shit really unless someone is a huge Minor Threat fan and collects everything edition of that bands album or they don't own the album in the first place. That album has been pressed and re-pressed so many times and it was originaly issued as 7", which goes for a SHIT load of money.

People going nuts over new re-issues on color and TRYING to make them more collectable will only fail in the end. Anyone that is familiar with pressings of records knows that. Though, Revelation did a pretty good job with that batman edition of the first YOT 7" back in the late 80's/early 90's. Thats a very rare exception to the rule though. A better example is when they reissued that Judge LP on orange vinyl in the late 90's. The orange vinyl edition of the Bringin it down LP doesn't even touch the original pressing on green vinyl, which goes for around $250.00 with out questions almost everytime.