NBA Discussion

yes they did. they all did. but then none of them panned out so the hype died down. kobe gets it still because he's consistently played at an unbelievable level and has won 4 rings. lebron gets it because he's 17 years old and the best player on the planet.

this is only his 7th year in the league (the same year as MJ's first title) so the comparisons have especially heated up for him. but what people casually like to forget is that lebron is 3 years younger than MJ was during his 7th season because MJ went to college. lebron has PLENTY of time to win championships. plural.

he could possibly win more than MJ because MJ also left for 2 years during the prime of his career, and then retired again when he could have still been winning. MJ could have easily wound up with 8 or 9 rings. lebron won't make those same career moves, so he will have those extra chances to win that MJ took away from himself. but that is neither here nor there.

http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/herewecome2.jpg

"put your hand up if you won a championship"

Can't take credit for that, but it is true. LBJ HAS had time to win, granted he hasn't had the cast MJ may have, but still, in 2007 they had the chance and took the C's to 7, and didn't do it. Had the chance last season, and didn't do it. Both players (Kobe and LBJ) are still great to watch every night, I just think LBJ has to seal one up soon..

^^ you're the worst kind of sports fan. well, you and muzzy.

you realize lebron just turned .... TWENTY FUCKING FIVE, right? he "has to seal one up soon"? give me a fucking break. he's not even close to entering his prime, and he's already the best player in the league. it took MJ (the best player who ever lived, mind you) 7 years to win his first, and he was 3 years older than lebron is now (like i said in my post before yours).

that series against the celtics you are referring to proves how great he is. NOT how he can't finish a team when he has a chance. he took the NBA champions to a game 7. by himself. BY HIMSELF. delonte west was the next best player on lebron's team? come on.

the celtics had 3 (arguably) hall of famers on that squad and a relatively deep bench to boot. lebron had... wally szczerbiak? haha surely you can't even be serious using that series as your argument against lebron.

^^ because of posts like that (and the one you made 30 seconds before but deleted, talking about how "boston has more wins than anybody in the 2000s"). you're ill-informed, but spew out opinions - which seem to come from whatever the local sports talk radio stations are discussing that day anyway - as if they are fact.

and posts like this (in reference to KG being suspended for his blatant elbow to the head of another player):

don't really see how he gets suspended for a game and richardson just gets a fine, it was barely a tap and it didn't even look like kg was looking at him when he did it.

if that were any other player on any other team doing the EXACT SAME THING to one of your beloved celtics, you would have been up in arms and calling for their head on a platter. you are the definition of a homer. "your" teams winning has nothing to do with why you annoy me as a fan.

nor does the fact that "every team like sucks," which isn't even true anyway. you don't know what teams i root for. but even if they did "suck" i would still view them objectively and be able to discuss them intelligently with statistics and a historical perspective, not just what Bob Ryan wrote about them in his column the day before.

just thought you should know, i could give two shits about what people on boston sports radio, or even writers for the globe have to say. i never waste my time listening to/reading that shit because i really don't care that much. the only sports coverage i will watch is the nesn/comcast pregame reports that are a half hour before the game starts, but really only if there's nothing else on.

and i still stand by what i said about that call. i think a game suspension was way over the top. if it was even intentional, it was nothing more than a slight bump, which then again is probably considered some heavy shit in the nba. if it were someone like d-wade or lebron doing it, the refs would have looked right past it. same as how you can't touch one of them without getting a foul.

and do you not think that boston has the most sports victories in the 2000's? i didn't look into it at all, but i'd say it's pretty damn close.

KG threw a elbow at someones head and connected. It was on purpose and he deserved to be suspended. The dude is a superstar in the NBA and the league is not out to make an example of him. I guarantee if KoBe or LeBron or D-Wade or whatever threw an elbow at someones head they would get suspended too. If Kobe did that I'd be mad at him for doing somethig stupid enough to get suspended for a game. Not at the league for suspending him.

Travis, don't argue with a Boston sports fan. You will never win as they are blinded with fandom. I saw it firsthand by an old roommate of mine. It's an amazing sociological study as they are willing to throw out all rationale and reason in an effort to build an argument to favor themselves. Think of them like they are the AAU parents of sports fans.

Now to the Lakers- Of course they were going to win last night. I think Reggie Miller was talking about the Cavs but it still applies here, "Cat playing with a ball of yarn".

I have to say, after last night's Laker game, I feel better. I didn't think Artest still had the ups to dunk.

Yea Lakers had a bad game in OKC and everyone was ready to write them off. They needed to come out strong to put doubt in OKC's head and show them they got lucky in that last game and thats exactly what the Lakers did. They played nearly flawless last nite and everything they shot just fell for them. They played great defense and when they do that it usually leads to some great offense. They stopped all the fast break points. Artest did a great job on Durant holding him to only like 15pts. Kobe asked Phil if he could take Westbrook and did well on him. Neither Durant or Westbrook ever really got going last nite.

I fully expect the Lakers to still make it to the Finals. I think they end this series in 6.

Travis, don't argue with a Boston sports fan. You will never win as they are blinded with fandom. I saw it firsthand by an old roommate of mine. It's an amazing sociological study as they are willing to throw out all rationale and reason in an effort to build an argument to favor themselves. Think of them like they are the AAU parents of sports fans.

Now to the Lakers- Of course they were going to win last night. I think Reggie Miller was talking about the Cavs but it still applies here, "Cat playing with a ball of yarn".

did travis' post look like he wanted an argument? doesn't look that way to me.

i only argue was someone throws my name into a thread pretty much unprovoked.

still don't see the problem with boston sports fans, i haven't really met any that prove what you're trying to say about them.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':nmggn27s]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':nmggn27s]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

wanna condense that a little bit?

and i never claimed to be a better/intelligent sports fan.

i'm not even a SPORTS fan. i'm a pretty big hockey fan, i could watch a game regardless of what team it was. but i would never watch any other sport if the red sox, celtics, or patriots aren't playing. i didn't even watch the super bowl for christ sakes.

sorry for writing about something i am passionate about. and sorry that your attention span isn't focused enough to have the capacity to read it all.

that post isn't JUST about you. sure, your idiotic comments that you post in all of the sports threads (when, as you just admit, you don't know anything about sports outside of boston) provoked my feelings. but that post could be applied to many sports fans. i root for the white sox in case you were wondering, and i hate 85 % of white sox fans. this has nothing to do with you liking a team and a city that i dislike. it's about the majority of sports fans who know next to nothing about sports but pretend like they're experts on the subject.

i've spent years learning everything i've learned about sports. i spent years learning how to write properly and intelligently to make arguments by providing statistics and facts. when other people don't do that, it's fine. as long as they are presenting their words as opinions. what bothers me about you - and the vast majority of other meathead frat boy sports fans - is that you present your ideas as fact, and argue that anybody who disagrees must be stupid for doing so.

as far as me being "tender" i'm not even sure what you mean by that. let's not forget that even though your mighty sports town has won a bunch of championships since you've been alive, my city and my teams have won more during my lifetime. so if you want to have that argument with me, let's go. i'm more than ready.