Trapped In an Elevator Vinyl Collective Update

Guest admin1338560633

I twittered about it after it happened, but myself and 18 others were stuck in an elevator for about an hour at around 3am yesterday morning. Not something I would wish upon others, but I feel pretty good being able to check that experience off my list. After some festivities on the 3rd floor of the Holiday Inn (parties/shows in the hotel rooms), we were asked by security guards to leave if we were not staying at their hotel. The mass exit had 17 of us entering one elevator at the same time. Normally 17 people would not consider it a good idea to enter the same elevator, but being that most of us were inebriated, it didn't seem like the worst idea. As the elevator descended, it stopped on the 2nd floor where 2 more people were attempting to leave the hotel. Var from No Idea urged them to join our already full elevator making the total number 19 people in the same elevator. As the elevator attempted to travel just one more floor down, a loud bang put the brakes on our downward movement. We all laughed and someone notified the hotel staff of our predicament. We were asked if we were ok and initially we all were. Most of us cracked jokes, others remained quiet, and as minutes approached a half an hour, then an hour, a few people were stressing the fuck out. I recalled an episode of Who's the Boss where Tony and Angela got stuck in an elevator and eventually got out. I guess that and all the other sitcoms that made use of the stuck in an elevator theme put my mind at ease. I will say that while some people were losing their shit, Var made us all laugh reminding us all that it was his actions that put us into this situation. Eventually, the Gainesville Fire Department opened up the top shaft, lowered a ladder, and one by one, everyone climbed out of the elevator. I feel bad for the folks who are claustrophobic and especially felt badly for the gal who had a total freak-out when having difficulties climbing the ladder. I, myself, if given the opportunity to do it again would have done so in a heartbeat. My good friends Zach, Joey, Caroline, Andy, Ethan, Chico, and Jana were all in the elevator when this happened and I must say that I feel much more closely to these individuals after having gone through this.

The Fest was amazing. I plan on uploading a bunch of videos and sharing a lot of stories. There were so many amazing bands, incredible people, and way too much alcohol. I think the world of all the folks at No Idea Records who were all very friendly, very helpful, and super cool. Thanks for making my Fest an unforgettable weekend.

Here is a brief update of what to expect from your good friends at Vinyl Collective:

* Being that my mail-in ballot never showed up and we are not getting back home til late on Monday, Tuesday is gonna be pretty gnarly. I am nervous to see the clusterfuck that will be the polls. I am not even sure what kind of bomb exploded at the VC offices but am expecting a mountain of catching up to do. Bare with us.

* Tim Barry's brilliant new album, "Manchester" is in stores today. I highly recommend you go to a mom and pop store and pick up a copy or get one from us. Our friends at Punknews will be hosting a full album stream any day now to give you a sneak peak.

* We plan on posting the pre-orders for both the Mustard Plug / Bomb the Music Industry and the Whiskey and Company / Ninja Gun Under the Influence 7"s on Wednesday, November 5th at 2pm Mountain Standard.

* While in Gainesville, we got in the All Aboard/ Johnny Cash vinyl and the Dillinger Four midwestern songs vinyl. We are gonna wait for the Versus God to show up before sending out the D4 records and actually we are hoping to get I Heart U to print up all the goodies this week. The All Aboard LPs should ship by week's end and you can expect photos soon. And just for you curious, the double whiskey coke no ice vinyl looks absolutely bad ass. we got in a few for the Fest and you will be stoked at how they turned out.

* I think we are getting in the Versus God, Fake Problems/Look Mexico under the influence, new Norma Jean and Banner LPs in this week, too. I realize that we haven't even set up the pre-orders for Norma Jean and the Banner, but I will try to get it all together and figured out over the next day or two. Expect some kind of announcement about those soon.

* We also will be getting in the Mike Park / O Pioneers!!! split 7" this week. We are waiting to figure out with Eric from O Pioneers about the covers before we put it up for pre-order and establish the costs.

* I am feeling really inspired from the weekend and look forward to getting caught up so I can work on some of new ideas, new potential Suburban Home bands, and a bunch of new releases. Meeting so many Vinyl Collective/Suburban Home supporters really was my favorite thing about the Fest. I really feel the community aspect of independent music is stronger than it has ever been and think I am the luckiest person on the planet to be involved with all of this crazy stuff.

I am sure there is more that I should be mentioning, but my brain has taken quite a toll from the Fest weekend. I have never been more excited about not drinking! I hope everyone had an incredible Fest experience. For those of you that didn't make it, I urge you to reconsider next year.

I would also like to add that I feel bad when Virgil told me about this. I was trying to interview him and it fell through that night. Virgil texted me the next morning, "sorry I wasn't able to make it, we were stuck in an elevator with 19people". Being partially still drunk from the night before I replied with, "sounds sexy".

I grabbed Tim Barry LP here in Seattle during the revival tour. Just got a chance to listen to it today and I'm liking it.

Excited for the under the influence series releases too.

An hour seems rough, heard stories of even longer, but shit, 19 people, I would have been freaking out after 10 minutes...

I would also like to add that I feel bad when Virgil told me about this. I was trying to interview him and it fell through that night. Virgil texted me the next morning, "sorry I wasn't able to make it, we were stuck in an elevator with 19people". Being partially still drunk from the night before I replied with, "sounds sexy".

I felt very badly about the interview not happening, but I also didn't get bummed at your dead sexy response. It was a pretty rad experience all in all.

Are you capable of doing interviews over the phone? Bad part is that with both of us drunk, that might have been a fun interview.

I felt very badly about the interview not happening, but I also didn't get bummed at your dead sexy response. It was a pretty rad experience all in all.

Are you capable of doing interviews over the phone? Bad part is that with both of us drunk, that might have been a fun interview.

We can do phone and I'll talk to my buddy about maybe doing it. However, being drunk I was totally stoked to be like, "So tell me some amazing shit stories". It may have dominated the interview.

We can do phone and I'll talk to my buddy about maybe doing it. However, being drunk I was totally stoked to be like, "So tell me some amazing shit stories". It may have dominated the interview.

How about the night we do it, I will work late and have you call me around 11pm or midnight my time after I am a little loosy goosey. I can tell good shit stories sober, but drunk might be fun.