WHAT COMPONENT SHOULD I USE THREAD

So i was just going through the board and I found a bunch of question threads about set-up items; like speakers, receivers, pre-amps, etc.

I figured we could have a thread like the turntable one, but for components. People can come and ask questions about different components, and offer advice on what they know / their own experience. And we can have one massive all-encompassing thread on the subject of components sans table where people can go and read for info.

that being said, im looking into getting a new receiver. Thinking of getting a vintage one. thoughts? suggestions? n00dz?

Good idea:) I've been thinking about starting one because I really want a tube amp but have no idea where to start.

If I was buying a vintage receiver, I'd go for Marantz 22** series. Those things are beautiful. If it doesn't necessarily have to be a receiver, check out Marantz quad amps (like 4100). Basically anything from this rack (here are receivers and one amp):

[image]

I second Marantz I have a 2235b. The second two numbers are watts per channel. So mine is 35 wpc. You can probably find one on Craigslist if you watch for long enough. I picked my up at a local record shop for $85.

Other good vintage receiver brands are McIntosh, Sansui, and Pioneer.

Vintage receivers from the 70's and early 80's will almost always come with a Phono input, which means if you have a higher end turntable or a vintage turntable you won't need a pre-amp.

Vintage stuff is always a crap shoot and often needs repairs to sound it's best. Modern stuff is overpriced and often sounds like crap. There is no good answer.

If you're going to buy vintage don't buy it from some guy off Craigslist or ebay that "found it in his parent's attick" and has "no way of testing it" but turns it on and everything "lights up." These guys are almost always selling a broken piece of shit and this stuff is not cheap to repair. If you're going to buy vintage you need to either know of a good repair guy in your area or buy from a reputable seller who has checked it over. You will pay a premium for this but it's worth it because you know it'll work.