Bands you want to get into but can't.

pibbals

Gaslight Anthem was called a "bad Bruce Springsteen", but here's the thing...Bruce Springsteen sucks to begin with. I tried people, I tried. I got his essential 3 disc set and I couldn't get through one song. Funny though, his song "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life and it's off of one his newer albums "Magic". The rest blows.

I think TGA does Springsteen better than Springsteen does. Plus, at least they don't have that horrible adult contemporary saxophone solos in their songs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaslight Anthem for reasons everyone has stated. I have tried and every song sounds the same, his voice does nothing for me and their live show was boring as hell(which could be because I saw Paint it Black, Dead to Me and Hot Water Music at the same show..)

Sex Pistols. Oh, I'm Sid Vicious and can barely play the guitar. And hey, I'm Johnny Rotten and I am a prick who shopped at Vivian Westwood's shop and started a trend. Fucking boring. I get their social influence on the times, but give me a Clash record any day of the week.

And I remember it took me ages to get into Husker Du. I bought Land Speed Record in high school and I remember thinking, "wait, these are all songs drawn out into 2 tracks? This blows!" I love their other stuff, but that record is still hard for me to sit through the whole thing.

sid played bass, badly, but played bass

your right and I knew that but I put guitar. My bad.

Gaslight Anthem was called a "bad Bruce Springsteen", but here's the thing...Bruce Springsteen sucks to begin with. I tried people, I tried. I got his essential 3 disc set and I couldn't get through one song. Funny though, his song "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life and it's off of one his newer albums "Magic". The rest blows.

I think TGA does Springsteen better than Springsteen does. Plus, at least they don't have that horrible adult contemporary saxophone solos in their songs.

Yet.

Clarence rocks the shit outta the sax, you should hear his solo stuff from wayyyyyy back.

It's interesting because I frequent this board (don't post much though) but...I don't really like pop punk or new ska stuff at all. I never have. I enjoy the hell out of jamaican ska and rocksteady but none of the new bands do it for me. And most pop punk doesn't either. I try often to give some of the bands the board members on here hype so much a chance, and they almost never stick. The main examples of the top of my head would be:

The Ergs!

Bomb The Music Industry

Mustard Plug (yuck!!)

The Gaslight Anthem (although I keep buying their records)

Almost all the bands on the UTI series

Minus The Bear

Lifetime (his vocals kill me)

Dillinger Four

The list could go on and on.

Jawbreaker and Jets To Brazil for sure.

Funny, I was never one for Jawbreaker, but I have been a fan of Jets to Brazil since day one. I think I like how his voice fits Jets' music better.

I could never understand how folks got into Man is the Bastard. Yet for some reason I own 5 LPs of theirs. (I guess I like the name!)

you should sell me some of your man is the bastard stuff then... b/w them and neanderthal, life couldn't get any better in the early 90's

Jawbreaker and Jets To Brazil for sure.

Funny, I was never one for Jawbreaker, but I have been a fan of Jets to Brazil since day one. I think I like how his voice fits Jets' music better.

I could never understand how folks got into Man is the Bastard. Yet for some reason I own 5 LPs of theirs. (I guess I like the name!)

you should sell me some of your man is the bastard stuff then... b/w them and neanderthal, life couldn't get any better in the early 90's