Bands you want to get into but can't.

pibbals

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres at least a dozen if I give it a long thought but I got 4 hours of sleep last night. First one that comes to mind is Wolf Parade, I just can't get past the vocals. Cant say I want to get into them, but I really dislike Say Anything, I just don't understand whats good about that band at all.
I could understand Say Anything's In defence of the Genre but have you sat down & listend to is/was a real boy?

its a fucking classic

Yeah I admit I havent sat myself through the entire thing but i get bored each time I try and stop or skip songs. It's not like i cant tell its well crafted music, i just cant get into it. the vocals kind of annoy me too, and that usually means it has to grow on me, but it never does. Maybe it will eventually, I used to hate jawbreaker now i love them so much.

Converge, Gaslight Anthem, Bjork, Kanye West, No Age, Crystal Castles, the list goes on and on. I don't necessarily want to get into these bands so much as I see they have a huge following and lots of critical acclaim and I don't want to feel stupid if I don't get into it. But a lot of it either doesn't do anything special for me (Converge, Kanye) or just annoys the crap out of me (Gaslight is a bad Bruce Springsteen, you guys. I don't get it). Some bands I did eventually get into just by forcing myself to keep listening, like Battles for instance. I hated their album the first few times I went through it, now it's one of my favorites. Also, Bomb The Music Industry just made me angry for the first few times until one day I was playing To Live Or Die In Long Island and it clicked.

no age is another. They get praised so much, but to me it just sounds like someone playing with their effects and then the drummer smashing his ride cymbal over it. I dont get what i'm "missing".

no age is awesome. nouns is one of my top albums of the year, i'm not surprised some people here aren't into it though.

O Pioneers!!! just will not click for me. I've tried and tried and tried, but it just doesn't do it.

I just got into them a little less than a month ago, and am surprised how much I love neon creeps. such a great album. can't wait until the vinyl is released.

Jawbreaker and Jets To Brazil for sure.

Funny, I was never one for Jawbreaker, but I have been a fan of Jets to Brazil since day one. I think I like how his voice fits Jets' music better.

I could never understand how folks got into Man is the Bastard. Yet for some reason I own 5 LPs of theirs. (I guess I like the name!)

Bomb the Music Industry!

Mastodon

Bridge and Tunnel

Torche

Paint It Black (I love Lifetime but these guys.... I'm not a fan of Yemins roar :()

Defiance, Ohio

Converge

Those are the ones I can think of for now, but there's many, many more I'm sure. I typically try to listen to a new band every week or few weeks, mostly ones on here that I see have some wicked vinyl coming out in the near future. It's great to have a lot of knowledgeable music fans on here, my IPod thanks a lot of you guys immensely.

• 2 months later...
Guest drahtuos
Bonnie Prince Billy.

listen to will oldham - joya, palace brothers - days in the wake, palace music - viva last blues, bonnie 'prince' billy - i see a darkness, and ease down the road, and the live bonnie 'prince' billy - summer in the southeast for starters. he has a very large back catalog and these albums are are probably the best to start with especially and it is cliche to say it but it's true, i see a darkness, make sure you give it a number of solid listens. if and when you do finally get it, you will love it and realize will oldham is the best singer/song writer out there.

Bonnie Prince Billy.

listen to will oldham - joya, palace brothers - days in the wake, palace music - viva last blues, bonnie 'prince' billy - i see a darkness, and ease down the road, and the live bonnie 'prince' billy - summer in the southeast for starters. he has a very large back catalog and these albums are are probably the best to start with especially and it is cliche to say it but it's true, i see a darkness, make sure you give it a number of solid listens. if and when you do finally get it, you will love it and realize will oldham is the best singer/song writer out there.

I've yet to hear any of this man's work, but I'm about to give it a shot. I'll use your suggestions as a starting point.

First band I thought when I read the thread title was also Jawbreaker. It does sound stupid to try and force yourself to like a band, but I knew/know how important they are/were to many people. I tried everything from obscure(Whack and Blight) to the mighty "Dear You" and I just couldn't do it. I know there's people who will never get why The Velvet Underground is great, but I love them and I think it's just how an artist grabs you on a personal level.

Fugazi is great, but Minor Threat took me a while, now I love it.

I don't get At The Drive In, Mars Volta, or Sparta and I have given all of them a fair chance.

Gaslight Anthem was called a "bad Bruce Springsteen", but here's the thing...Bruce Springsteen sucks to begin with. I tried people, I tried. I got his essential 3 disc set and I couldn't get through one song. Funny though, his song "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life and it's off of one his newer albums "Magic". The rest blows.

Gaslight Anthem for reasons everyone has stated. I have tried and every song sounds the same, his voice does nothing for me and their live show was boring as hell(which could be because I saw Paint it Black, Dead to Me and Hot Water Music at the same show..)

Sex Pistols. Oh, I'm Sid Vicious and can barely play the guitar. And hey, I'm Johnny Rotten and I am a prick who shopped at Vivian Westwood's shop and started a trend. Fucking boring. I get their social influence on the times, but give me a Clash record any day of the week.

And I remember it took me ages to get into Husker Du. I bought Land Speed Record in high school and I remember thinking, "wait, these are all songs drawn out into 2 tracks? This blows!" I love their other stuff, but that record is still hard for me to sit through the whole thing.

Gaslight Anthem for reasons everyone has stated. I have tried and every song sounds the same, his voice does nothing for me and their live show was boring as hell(which could be because I saw Paint it Black, Dead to Me and Hot Water Music at the same show..)

Sex Pistols. Oh, I'm Sid Vicious and can barely play the guitar. And hey, I'm Johnny Rotten and I am a prick who shopped at Vivian Westwood's shop and started a trend. Fucking boring. I get their social influence on the times, but give me a Clash record any day of the week.

And I remember it took me ages to get into Husker Du. I bought Land Speed Record in high school and I remember thinking, "wait, these are all songs drawn out into 2 tracks? This blows!" I love their other stuff, but that record is still hard for me to sit through the whole thing.

sid played bass, badly, but played bass