What pre-amp would you recommend?

I was thinking about getting the Pro-Ject Tubebox II, but I heard that for demanding music such as metal, punk, and rock (which is most of what I will be listening to) to doesn't sound as great, and has a bassey sound. I'm looking to spend between $200-$400 on this. The only other thing I was looking at is the Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II. But I haven't heard much about that one. I don't care if the pre-amp you recommend is Pro-Ject or not, I'm just not sure what to buy.

I have the Tube Box SE II and I haven't noticed too much bass or anything that makes punk and metal records sound "bad". I would imagine that would be more of a stylus issue.

As far as I've noticed, it's a nice, clean signal, and perhaps the only "color" it adds would be that (and I hate this term because it's subjective and non-scientific) warmth from the tubes. It's less harsh on the some of the high frequency stuff, like cymbal crashes than some solid state stuff. Then again, there are people who say that you can't get a good tube system for less than $2000. Who do you listen to?

If you do go with tubes, I would stay away from the Bellari. Only because there is one tube in that, and you really need a tube for both channels.

It comes highly recommended by me.

Then again, there are people who say that you can't get a good tube system for less than $2000. Who do you listen to?

Definitely not true, especially when it comes to vintage tube amps.

Then again, these are probably the same people who say you can get a good power cable for less than $300. ::)

I've been looking at various tube amp kits like say this one: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/K-12M/K-12M.htm

And is there a good reason not to fit a preamp into the same enclosure, do they interfere with one another or anything?

Just curious for the dudes who may have built something similar.

Also Kyle where's your kit? I wanna see you hunched over a box of parts.

Here's a question for y'all...

Would you recommend a pre-amp even if your system already has one built-in? The rationale is that adding a good pre-amp would add to the sound, especially if the built-in pre-amp isn't that great. Is this true? Or does it simply amount to spending lots of money on something that most people wouldn't notice anyway?

Here's a question for y'all...

Would you recommend a pre-amp even if your system already has one built-in? The rationale is that adding a good pre-amp would add to the sound, especially if the built-in pre-amp isn't that great. Is this true? Or does it simply amount to spending lots of money on something that most people wouldn't notice anyway?

Getting a better pre-amp will definitely make your records sound a lot better. It will open up the sound of your turntable and give it more punch. At least this is what I've heard it will do. I am going to pick up a new pre-amp tomorrow, upgrading from my $50 Art DJ Pre II. So I'll let you know how big of an improvement it is.