Vinyl you should have bought this year...

minty

...A.K.A My top 5 vinyl packages of 2008.

5) Slapstick - S/T

[image]

Classic album repressed by Asian Man Records. The original press was on a single LP and because this album has 25 songs they had to cut a few off the end. Now this is a double LP there's enough space for all the songs! Possibly the best ska-punk album / band of all time. Shame there's no lyric sheet or gatefold sleeve though...

4) Only Thunder - Lower Bounds (Orange w/ splatter)

[image]

I bought this record because I was intrigued by their description on Vinyl Collective...and it was one of the best things I've bought all year! Screened cover, hand numbered, CD insert, lyrics and probably the best looking record from the year make this well worth buying.

3) The Lawrence Arms - Cocktails and Dreams (Red)

[image]

3rd place goes to the best compilation album ever. Shame it didn't come with a lyric insert, but it does have lots of cool art in the gatefold.

2) The Suicide Machines - War Profiteering Is Killing Us All / A Match and Some Gasoline

[image]

Close runner-up are these 2 albums by the Suicide Machines packaged into a single gatefold. It speaks for itself!

1) The Steal - Bright Grey

[image]

[image]

[image]

Hands down the best album from this year, and it's also my favourite vinyl package of the year too! One sided LP (because it takes too long to swap sides) with a pretty unique colour and a very clean, simple art layout. I really think it's flawless.

You can do one too if you want, lists are fun! What have been your yearly vinyl highlights?

I can't get to any listening sites at work, what does The Steal sound like?

Very fast hardcore/punk-rock with positive lyrics. Easily one of my favorite bands!

what does Only Thunder sound like? ...and the Steal, so many people are hyping these bands....

Only Thunder are kind of similar to Small Brown Bike. Lots of really well writen guitar parts and such.

I can't get to any listening sites at work, what does The Steal sound like?

Very fast hardcore/punk-rock with positive lyrics. Easily one of my favorite bands!

what does Only Thunder sound like? ...and the Steal, so many people are hyping these bands....

Only Thunder are kind of similar to Small Brown Bike. Lots of really well writen guitar parts and such.

Those descriptions are right on the money

so, 5th generation Fuel/HWM, junior? or somewhat original sounding?

I'd say they are totally original sounding, but you can hear lots of influences from said bands. They have 3 guitarists, so there's lots of nice harmonised lead guitar parts too!

That Thursday / Envy is a nice looking foldout. Those other ones are just some nice color vinyl but the sleeve and jackets are same old.

Best Packaging in my book

1. Black Angels - Directions to see a Ghost. Triple vinyl, triple gatefold, wacked out trippy art, 4 bonus songs "hidden" on side E and the few words encourage listeners to think for themselves, create thier own reality and challenge authority (punk rock used to play this way, now its

2. Dreamend - The Long Forgotten Friend

"Listeners are encouraged to buy the vinyl version as it includes the cd version for free, contains 4 extra songs-16 minutes worth of music, a handmade pop-up gatefold by William Schaff (GYBE!, Okkervil River etc), and an extra cd of demos and alternate versions."

3. Main Street Gospel 7" - beautiful multi color silkscreen covers, and a tiny feather in each one, yeah a feather gets you a nod.

4. Colin Meloy - Sings Live! - forgot the proper name but its a super thick, super well made gatefold, taller then a normal record, just high quality all around.

5. Continue list with 100+ box sets and art editions.

It's a play on that album cover, and of their previous album cover.

[image]

I don't see how it's a play on their previous cover. It seems much more like homage to the Slint cover.

It's a play on their previous cover because it spawned their "Signature" photograph...sitting on a sofa or just standing in a row.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Nice packaging!

If anyone wants to listen to The Steal, check them out on here:

http://www.virb.com/thesteal

thanks for the link. they are really good.

any place to get the LP in the US??

Unfortunately not, but the dollar is currently really high against the pound so it might be the cheapest you will be able to get it for a while. You can buy it from here, and also listen to a few tracks from it! I personally think it's the best stuff they have done so far.

http://www.banquetrecords.com/index.jsp?item=9817

If you don't have a credit card, PM me and I'll give you the address you need to email to be able to pay with Paypal.

4) Only Thunder - Lower Bounds (Orange w/ splatter)

[image]

I bought this record because I was intrigued by their description on Vinyl Collective...and it was one of the best things I've bought all year! Screened cover, hand numbered, CD insert, lyrics and probably the best looking record from the year make this well worth buying.

a-fricken-men. it's great. i bought mine on a whim and i liked how the vinyl turned out. best surprise buy of 2008 in my book.

some others that might have flew under the radar:

The New Trust - Get Vulnerable

Olehole - Holemole

Mouthbreather - Thank You For Your Patience

my fav represses (since i didn't have them already):

mewithoutYou - Catch For Us The Foxes

Isis - The Red Sea 10YRLTD

The Get Up Kids - Four Minute Mile

Bear Vs Shark - Terrorhawk