Question for photoshop gurus + maybe printers

what the heck is this process called?

just an example of an image found on the interwebs

[image]

i want to start doing some simple screen printing, but i dont know what the process of taking a full color image into the above image is called.

i know there are other colors in there but just imagine it was only black and white

i swear some times its really frustrating trying to search in google

if you're gonna screenprint just one colour a good thing to do is go to image and grayscale it, then you can play around with the contrast, once you've gotten it just right, hit image then bitmap and boom, you have a solid, b/w, stencil style design. then you can import it into illustrator/indesign and fuck around with the colour of it.

Convert the image to greyscale, fuck around with the brightness/contrast for a while, then convert it to a bitmap to get rid of any risidual gray areas that are left.

yup, like i said. though this only works really if you've got an image that's big enough to start with, if it's tiny then it'll be tiny when you go to print. In which case, you wanna make a vector image.