Guest Lists

rtw88

Is it rude to message a band to ask them if they'll put you on the guest list? I feel like it might be because obviously they wouldn't get the money from your ticket sales.

I ask this because La Dispute is playing here next saturday and I'd be totally stoked to go but it's with a whole bunch of local bands that I'm not into at all. I was considering messaging them on myspace and asking if they'd put my friend and I on the guestlist, but I just don't know if bands find this insulting or not.

Input please?

I even feel like a jerk asking my friend to put me on the guest list.

haha me three.

usually i never ask, but instead just mention to my friend the band i'm going to see that i know they're friends with. more often than not, they get excited and offer to hook me up.

Yeah I don't really think it's kosher to ask. I have once or twice, and that's cuz I did stuff to help the band, they're pretty good friends and I didn't want to pay $40 for tickets. Also I pay for all the other shows...It's sometimes ones if they might open for a bigger band that I really don't care for.

So maybe I'm a douchebag.....

If you're so cheap that you would ask a band to put you on their list you clearly don't care about seeing the show that much.

Exceptions:

1. if you paid to release a record for this band

2. if you've booked them on previous tours and they stayed at your house

Or if you're interviewing or photographing them.

Maybe if you asked to be put on the guest list and offered them something, maybe even some cash, it might be a bit more acceptable.

Personally, I would never do it. I would just wait and catch them on their next time through.

exactly. A simple "hey guys, I'm really broke right now but I still wanna catch the show. If there's any way I could be put on the list you could crash at my place tonight. If not it's no big deal, see ya at the show!" takes care of everything and you don't look like an asshole.

As a promoter, a musician, and an employee of a venue I'm never to fond of people who try to get in for free because it generally makes you look like some shitty, crusty, traveling kid who's to punk to pay for the show. On the other hand, as snobby as this might sound, if you have to ask to get in free you probably don't need to get in free. Typically, if you are seriously involved in punk or the music "industry" in any way(musician, promoter, bartender, etc) you get in to shows for free anyways.

Still think it's douchey to do unless you've done favors for the band before like most people already said. Especially if they don't even know you.

I have only ever been guest listed once and that was by Envy On the Coast when they were touring with Saosin and it sold out and this was before they even knew me. I was asking around to see if anyone had an extra ticket and would even have settled for a scalper at that point but they found me and took care of me.

I still felt bad cause I wanted to support them so I just ended up buying extra merch instead.

Seriously...if you can't spare six bucks you probably shouldn't be going to a show anyways. Bands charging only that much money to play really do need every bit they can. Gas/travel is expensive.