Anyone collect records at college?

daniel

my advice:

freshman year, i brought a milkcrate full of records. luckily, my roommate was awesome and was literally the ONE other person on campus who was into punk rock. you might not be so lucky. the MAJORITY of college kids couldnt give a fuck about records and all that shit, which is fine, but if youre sharing a small room with one other dude, he may not wanna deal with piles of records lying all over the place. ALSO, if you plan on being social and hosting parties in your room, its not worth it to spin records, since i had people spilling beer on my records as they were playing. because of that, i left my shit home sophomore and junior year. that was when i started really getting into tapes. i went through a phase where all i really bought were tapes, since i had some decent headphones and it was easy to store dozens of them in a single desk drawer. now that ive got a townhouse, i bring my records to school, since thats where i am 80% of the year. but i still just leave that shit in my room, where few people ever go who arent invited.

but yeah, if its your first time going to school, id say leave it home. if your living situation allows it, you can always grab it next time you're at your parents' house.

my roommate was awesome and was literally the ONE other person on campus who was into punk rock.

I hope I'm as lucky. I don't even care if my roommate likes my music, just hope they're someone remotely similar. I keep picturing my roommate being an African American named Javon, who is huge into underground hip-hop, speaks jive, and has a velvet black Jesus pinned up on the wall. *shiver*

my roommate was awesome and was literally the ONE other person on campus who was into punk rock.

I hope I'm as lucky. I don't even care if my roommate likes my music, just hope they're someone remotely similar. I keep picturing my roommate being an African American named Javon, who is huge into underground hip-hop, speaks jive, and has a velvet black Jesus pinned up on the wall. *shiver*

my first roommate was an asian kid who listened to nothing but techno and linkin park, slept 15 hrs a day, was lactose intolerant, and would do karate at 4am in the hallways. also, he would shower once a week.

however, he was miles ahead of my second one. typical rich wigger douchenozzle who listened to rap and limp bizkit, watched american idol, weighed close to 250-300 lbs, and would fuck his anorexic little cunt of a gf who was only with him because he was rich while i was in the room. our rooms were like 20x12. >:(

People who say don't bring your records are stupid. I buy records to listen to, not collect. Bring your records and enjoy them. It's no different than living in an apartment... you have a room that is locked, and only you and your roommate can open the door. College isn't some crazy 24/7 party where everyone is walking in and out of other people's rooms. I stored all of my records in one of those large trunks, and I kept it closed at the bottom of my bed. Thieves want to steal computers, bikes, iPods, etc... not gaslight anthem LP's.

the mailroom system at my school is pretty rad. i have a friend who works in the mailroom, so i know that packages are treated kindly.

i brought my record player and speakers with me my freshman year. took a box full of lps and 7"s with me. my roommate was cool with it, he had some records too. nothing was ever broken or stolen. just a couple of cases of people mishandling them when they pull them out. i brought my record player with me again this year, though it's on a downgraded system (small home stereo speakers ran through my dvd changer's AV input). this time, i brought more valuable records with me, and i'm not worrying too much about people coming in and stealing them or whatever. mostly because i'm a loner and don't really have any friends. haha.

i will say, though, that the fire alarm went off last week in the middle of the day. my heart skipped a beat because as soon as i opened my door it smelled like smoke. but the fire department was there already and it was taken care of in a few minutes.

A little diversity never hurt anyone.

[image]

A little diversity never hurt anyone.

I'm not opposed to diversity. It's polar opposites that I'm hoping against.