Anyone collect records at college?

daniel

So I was recently accepted into the college I want to attend. I submitted my housing application and have a good idea of where I'll be staying, I know what I'm going to study, and I'm planning for orientation in the summer where I'll meet my counselor and talk about my schedule.

I was thinking about what I was going to bring and decided there was no way I was going to leave my records at home because I want to continue collecting... I'll be in a nice dorm (my own bedroom, hooray) so I know my records will be safe but I get most of my records online so I assume I'll have to ship them to my housing building.

Does anyone else collect records at college? How do you manage buying online and keep your collections safe and in good shape?

I keep my 12"s in a crate and my 10"s and 7"s on a shelf in my dorms. The only problem was bringing my setup, but I was able to put the desk and the dresser the college provides next to each other and I was able to fit a turntable, amp, laptop and both speakers on it.

To be honest, I was really worried about not having room, but when I got there I realized it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be.

Besides, if you're the only guy with records, people usually know each other on the dorm, and record collections are usually things not too many people have so people find them interesting. If you're known as "that guy with records" or something(like in my case) someone will probably say something if they see a guy that's not you coming out of your room with a box of records.

i wouldn't worry about it too much. i live in a double right know and am lucky enough to have a room mate who is really cool about not touching my stuff. i get a little paranoid when he has friends over, but all my vinyl is in a closet shelf out of reach pretty much. i wish i had more space so i could have my whole collection, but by the end of last semester i spent so much money on records and had plenty of new ones that it didn't matter too much. be careful about having them shipped to your school's post office around breaktimes. mine only holds packages for 5 or 6 days. i got a 10" in a few days after i moved out for christmas break and i'm still not sure if its going to be waiting for me when i move back in this week :(

Thanks for the responses. The more I think about it the less worried I am actually. My bedroom will have a lock on it that can only be opened with my student ID card and if a package arrives for me at the mailroom I have to go there (its like a one to three minute walk) and show said student ID to walk out with it.

I'm gonna have to find at least one acceptable record shop in San Antonio too, but Google isn't helping at all.

I lived in a dorm with a shared room freshman year and collected records. It wasn't really a big deal. My collection was fairly small at that point, so I just kept some in a box and stacked the rest on the floor next to my player. I wasn't really worried about my roommate stealing anything, he was a pretty solid guy. As far as the mailroom went, they never fucked anything up. I don't think I traded/bought more than 5 separate times, but they never lost anything.

Ya know, I had no problems with this. I got records shipped to me a lot and the mail room lady was like 70 yrs old so she thought it was rad, and I never had a problem once.

Mainly I was kinda laughed at as "the guy who listens to records" but 9 times out of 10 someone would want to come listen to some cuz the they thought it was cool. Don't ask me, it didn't make sense to me then, and it still doesn't now.

when i was in school, nothing got delivered to my dorm. we had mailservices and everyone had a tiny little mailbox and when we got a package, we got a colored slip that we took to the window and then the lady working there got our package out from the backroom. i never had a problem with having anything shipped to school.

also, most people dont know records are still being made, or that some are worth anything, so i wouldn't worry about bringing them or them getting stolen. my roommate collected and kept them in milkcrates under her bed, haha.

I do but I live in an apartment off campus and have known my 2 roommates since high school. I can trust them. timwt is exactly right. Just have the records sent home. If a limited release (for e.x. limited to 1,000 copies) comes out that you want don't pass on it or pay more for it later.

I get most of my records shipped home.. but its a bitch knowing that i cant listen to certain records until break. I keep my records, record player, and amp under my bed. It saves space and theyre pretty safe down there.

Yet theres my friends horror story: he had all his shit under his bed like me.. then i guess him and his girlfriend were going pretty crazy and the bed frame fucking cracked and they landed right on top of evvverything. He said the damage wasnt as bad as he expected but he was still pretty upset. I think that the chance of that happening is pretty rare but i guess you still should be careful about it.