Suggestions for Tampa, FL/Double Tree Beach

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for record stores, things to see, to do, etc. while in Tampa and Double Tree Beach for 3 days at the beginning of May.

I'm flying in the night of April 30th and flying out Sunday morning, May 3rd. My friend is getting married at Double Tree and I'll have some time to burn around that. Mostly on Friday, the day before...another friend who was supposed to fly down with me is a little too broke to make the trip right now.

Any suggestions?

This was what eric the red sent me back in late 2007. Im sure its still pretty accurate.

you'll find that we dont really have any strictly punk/hardcore/etc record stores anymore, so the majority of these you'll have to spend a few hours digging through bins to find anything good, but i'll def. note which ones are better.

TAMPA STORES

Mojo Books and Records

http://www.myspace.com/mojobooksandmusic

- tons of records, found a couple of good used scores here in the $6-9 range, but if you're looking to drop $50 on a joy division record or $125 on a green day LP (yes, they have it), this is totally your space. tons of books too, i've spent hours here before.

Sound Exchange

14246 N Nebraska Ave

Tampa FL 33613

Phone: 813-978-9316

(their webstie is www.soundexchangemusic.com, but aparently isnt working anymore)

- tho i havent had much luck here record wise, a few of my friends have had GREAT finds, i just seem to miss out on them all. this store is packed with tons of stuff, lots of used CDs/DVDs/etc, and a huge "budget" bin. search the vinyl sections by letter (they'll have huge sections for artists beatles/led zep/etc), thats how you'll find the goodies.

Vinyl Fever

http://www.vinylfevertampa.com/

- this is where i go a bunch, decent selection and has most newer releases. depending on when you go it may be cleared out for good used stuff, but you might walk in a few hours after they put out the new stuff and luck out.

ST PETE STORES (its a drive over the bay, about 30min or so)

Daddy Kool

http://www.daddykool.com/

- record store thats been around forever, tied in with one of the larger show promoters in st pete. a pretty good selection of stuff both used and new

Bananas Music

http://www.musicfinder.com/

- this place is huge, i mean HUGE. its also one of the most annoying places to go (in my opinion). if you searching for punk/hardcore/etc, you gotta ask where the "punk and indie" boxes are and just dig through them. i've found some great stuff, but heres where my hatred of this place comes in. a lot of their stuff isnt priced, and to get it priced, you bring it up to the counter where the guy goes through gemm.com and sees what everybody else is selling it for, and prices accordingly. if you've dealt with gemm.com before, you know some prices are outrageous, and the prices you pay will reflect that. its only until after the records have been priced that you really get to decide what you do and dont want.

Other things besides record stores...

The zoo is pretty fun, but i havent been there in a while.

The aquarium is a terrible waste of time and money.

Um... well i guess i dont have many recommendations because i rarely go visit my parents and when i go out on the town, i go to shitty hole in the wall bars that probably arent close to where you are staying. SO yeah, i got nothing.

for stuff other than a record store...... 2 words

mons venus

Hahahaha

Out of curiosity, I wiki'd "Mons Venus" and this is what I got:

Mons Venus is a nude lap dancing strip club in Tampa, Florida. It is one of the most famous strip clubs in the United States known both for both the quality of its dancers and the public image of its owner Joe Redner.

Stunning. Hahaha

and thank you to those who recommended the record stores.

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions above. I'll be in Tampa/North Redington Beach/Clearwater/St. Pete's from Thursday night until Sunday morning. Wedding is on Saturday, but other than that, I'll be checking out these stores, seeing the sites, and possibly seeing Gaslight? It depends on when the wedding & recepetion finish up...

Thanks!

If you just want to grab a good beer, catch a random show and enjoy the warm Florida evenings, I'd hit up New World Brewery in Ybor. My favorite spot to hang.

I'd also check http://www.transitionsartgallery.com/ for shows. More DIY/Punk stuff if that's your thing. Most of the Kiss of Death band shows go through here.

There's tons of great spots to eat also. If you let me know what you're into, I can reccomend some spots.

Stopped by Vinyl Fever and Mojo's. Scored some sweet finds:

Only Thunder "Lower Bounds" on black for $2.99

Mouthbreather "Thanks for Your Patience" (title?) $4.99

I also got the new Silversun Pickups and Obits there at an average price. The guy behind the counter was a great dude. The Obits was being held for another employee, but he txt'd him and the guy said I could have it instead. Awesome dudes.

I might be at Gaslight tonight in St. Pete's after the wedding/reception. We'll see if I can stay sober long enough to drive there :)

New World is super-backed. They have tons of good beers on tap and an awesome jukebox.

And it's FREE too. It's like the internet, but real life.

There's a new Tampa beer that they have on tap. Can't remember the name of it, but Jai Alai comes to mind. It's an IPA. It's great.

New World owns!!! YES!! Jai Alai, it is brewwed in Tampa. Its made by Joe Redners son, he just opened a brewery. If you are here tonight, Skeletalwitch & local faves the Absence play @ Crowbar. Metal up yr arse. If i had seen this earlier, i would have recomended Treasure Island beach or Ft. Desoto (ranked Americas best beach 2 years in a row.) No tourists or spring breakers. A sox game here is always fun, ecspecially when they loose.