House passes $819 Billion stimulus package

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire theory behind the effectiveness of a stimulus package is rooted in the Keynesean economic model, which says that you can increase GDP by increasing government spending (among other things). This is certainly true in the short run (if the ^G is big enough - which is what a lot of the argument is presently about).

The problem is that this is a shortrun model and in the medium run, it will cause an inflationary explosion. This is exactly what happened in the late 1960s and 1970s (after the government spending for the purpose of increasing GDP in the preceding decades).

Does that article explain anywhere how those numbers are calculated? I did a quick skim through the paper, but couldn't find it.

One thing to note, this article is detailing the 2008 Economic Stimulus, not the stimulus that is being debated right now. I'd be rather surprised if all of those calculations were still the same in our current situation.

It will cause inflation either way.

ps I can't stand Rachel Maddow.

That's not how I understand it. The inflationary pressure comes when the private sector has to compete with not only private sector entities but the government. If the government gets out with things on the rise but not at the peak the inflationary pressure is averted. But if you believe it causes inflation either way then inflation will happen no matter what and the government has nothing to lose.

Does that article explain anywhere how those numbers are calculated? I did a quick skim through the paper, but couldn't find it.

One thing to note, this article is detailing the 2008 Economic Stimulus, not the stimulus that is being debated right now. I'd be rather surprised if all of those calculations were still the same in our current situation.

Not sure how things would change in the matter of a few months or so. I would imagine the numbers would stay relatively similar.

No inflation will happen either way if the government steps in and implements stimulus.

So what's the alternative? I mean honestly, you let unemployment get up to 15%? You let things happen that may have the US economy in the shitter for decades?

Eventually everything will go back to equilibrium, but it's certainly going to get worse before it gets better.

So how long are you going to wait on something you're assuming should happen? We're running out of UI benefits, social security is a mess, people are losing jobs left and right, and things generally stink. A leader doesn't just sit back and play a fiddle while it burns. He does intelligent things to help it along. Its easier to say just sit back and let it happen until you watch your family members lose their jobs and their homes and everything they've worked so hard for.

And beyond all that, the US infrastructure is a mess. It needs work regardless of what's going on. That needs to happen unless you want more bridges collapsing. So its a moot point when it comes to stimulating or not. It needs to be done, people need to get paid. Seems like a match made in heaven.

Don't get me wrong. I totally feel for everyone who is losing their jobs and savings and whatnot. My dad pays for virtually all of my school bills, and he's lost 25% of his savings. It sucks hard and I know it. It just doesn't seem like any of the solutions that people are coming up with are going to do anything but put us in more debt.

Not sure how things would change in the matter of a few months or so. I would imagine the numbers would stay relatively similar.

Well, his calculations would be well over a year old. Regardless, assuming that these calculations are correct, this would have to be extremely well-targeted projects that occur immediately and I am doubtful that the government can do either of those things well. I'll leave it at that.

Well, his calculations would be well over a year old. Regardless, assuming that these calculations are correct, this would have to be extremely well-targeted projects that occur immediately and I am doubtful that the government can do either of those things well. I'll leave it at that.

Infrastructure investment and food stamps are two very broad, wide-reaching projects that are huge targets well within reach to hit.