House passes $819 Billion stimulus package

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if and when we get it i will do the exact opposite of what they want you to do- pay bills

If you pay credit card bills or the like, it's helping the ailing credit market, so I'd imagine that would be good, too.

well the point of a stimulus is to put it back into businesses. so the government hopes you spend it on consumer goods.

but yes it could be good as well.

lol @ every single republican voted against it and it still passed.

united in failure! ...just like they've been for the last 8 years i guess.

I'm going to go with the republicans on this one. All this is doing is dragging this shit out and making it worse. Do you think this all of these corporate pieces of shit are going to learn anything if we just hand over the money? In ten years we'll be back in the same place, except we'll be an extra $819 billion in debt.

Don't hold your breath on seeing any of this money. I'm sure it's already spent, and I'm sure a lot of dems are about to be treated to some nice Caribbean cruises.

If you want to know what this money will be spent on...

www.recovery.gov

that site will have record of all monies spent, as required IN the bill. Nothing can be spent without a record being posted.

what I understand is that there will NOT be another stimulus check to the general public as it really did nothing to "stimulate" the economy anyways.

lol @ every single republican voted against it and it still passed.

united in failure! ...just like they've been for the last 8 years i guess.

I'm going to go with the republicans on this one. All this is doing is dragging this shit out and making it worse. Do you think this all of these corporate pieces of shit are going to learn anything if we just hand over the money? In ten years we'll be back in the same place, except we'll be an extra $819 billion in debt.

Don't hold your breath on seeing any of this money. I'm sure it's already spent, and I'm sure a lot of dems are about to be treated to some nice Caribbean cruises.

i'm not well versed enough on economics to say either way. however, i do think that non-action will probably only make things worse, and i don't think that this bill is another bailout for the corporate top dogs. rather, i think its more of a jumpstart for the economy in the way of injecting money in such a way that new jobs are created (i.e. esp in the environmental/'green' sectors, for lack of better terminology).

but again, i don't know enough about it to make a judgement call; i'll leave that to the guys in charge. which is scary lol.

To properly stimulate our absolutely horrible economy people need to work. We, as a nation also have a ton of failing infrastructure. Seems like those two things go together like peas in a pod?

You can't just give people money, that's why those checks didn't work. People saved it or paid off old debt, they didn't take on new debt. And while that mildly aids credit companies what the country needs is people buying things. People buy things when they have money, and they have money when they have jobs. You can't reduce taxes on unemployed people and have any kind of impact. Same goes for reduction in taxes on corporations. The government needs to infest in infrastructure, get the economy going, and as it comes back to life start to raise taxes, get out of Iraq, and build a budget surplus.

Now Obama conceeded tax cuts and a few other items I personally would have preferred he left alone. However, he's feeling out the Republicans and after getting no votes on the bill I would imagine he's seen enough to not make a mistake like that again. When Boeing lays off 10K, Microsofts lays off like 5K, and all kinds of other large companies lay off thousands you know you have a problem.

I really really hope Obama goes in and cuts out all the crap he gave republicans in the name of getting them to vote for this. He got fucking hosed and needs to straight up say "I tried to work with you, and you lied and used us. You have a vested interest in seeing me fail, so fuck you. I'm going to do what I want and your voices can be heard in eight years."

I understand that without jobs the country is doomed, but I fail to see construction jobs as the panacea.

If I lose my job, I don't know how to operate a backhoe so that's not creating a job for me or anyone I know. This is only going to create more wealth for construction companies (and specific ones at that), not the economy as a whole.

I like the idea about investing in new energy technologies, but again, I don't see that creating enough jobs to sustain this country.

I don't know what the answer is. This is a huge fucked up mess.

i work at the state and i can tell you what the problem is:

too many chiefs and not enough indians.

my state, for example, is billions short on tax revenue. the governors solution? lay off state workers. he's already had a hiring freze in effect since the summer and has since then had to hire an astronomical number of temps to do the jobs of those people who retired. laying off workers will only cause them to draw more money from the already depleted unemployment fund, and will also mean less revenue due to the fact that these people will not be paying income tax either.

might i add that this is the same governor who, about a week ago, hired one of his old cronies who lost his bid for re-election this fall for a position he literally made up. during a hiring freeze. oh yeah, and the guy's starting salary is $95,000.

ok, now i'm just venting lol.

but you get the idea.

I understand that without jobs the country is doomed, but I fail to see construction jobs as the panacea.

If I lose my job, I don't know how to operate a backhoe so that's not creating a job for me or anyone I know. This is only going to create more wealth for construction companies (and specific ones at that), not the economy as a whole.

I like the idea about investing in new energy technologies, but again, I don't see that creating enough jobs to sustain this country.

I don't know what the answer is. This is a huge fucked up mess.

You have to start somewhere, right? Blue collar jobs stimulate almost all other jobs as its the bottom of the pyramid. Plus, our bridges and roads are failing. They need to be fixed, good economy or bad.

As for investing in new technology that requires re-tooling and new people with better education to make it work. Factories have to move forward, people have new sectors to work in, and we all get the lovely affect of having a less polluted planet.

I really really hope Obama goes in and cuts out all the crap he gave republicans in the name of getting them to vote for this. He got fucking hosed and needs to straight up say "I tried to work with you, and you lied and used us. You have a vested interest in seeing me fail, so fuck you. I'm going to do what I want and your voices can be heard in eight years."

That flies in the face of the whole Rick Warren thing though.

I lost interest in this bill when they cut spending on family planning centers and conceded some tax cuts.

My opinion is the root of America's issue is that we're a service based economy, not a product based economy. We import way more than we export and what we tend to export are services and not actual goods. The minute world wide demand for the items we import increases (like say, oil) we're boned. The minute another country can export our services for cheaper (like say India and tech support) we're boned. We've taken to outsourcing for all manufacturing and production and now we're amazed we don't have any jobs and everything is outsourced. Surprise! If you want to offer tax cuts to companies, do it to ones that create jobs in America, not maintain or (worse yet) outsource them.

But seriously, I don't know.

I lost interest in this bill when they cut spending on family planning centers and conceded some tax cuts.

My opinion is the root of America's issue is that we're a service based economy, not a product based economy. We import way more than we export and what we tend to export are services and not actual goods. The minute world wide demand for the items we import increases (like say, oil) we're boned. The minute another country can export our services for cheaper (like say India and tech support) we're boned. We've taken to outsourcing for all manufacturing and production and now we're amazed we don't have any jobs and everything is outsourced. Surprise! If you want to offer tax cuts to companies, do it to ones that create jobs in America, not maintain or (worse yet) outsource them.

But seriously, I don't know.

That's one of things Obama has talked about a lot, the idea we need to increase American jobs by giving companies tax-breaks when they keep jobs here.

That flies in the face of the whole Rick Warren thing though.

No it doesn't. It has nothing to do w/ Warren. One is dealing with politicians one is dealing with voters. Obama needs to send a strong message that if he works with you he expects your support, but if he works with you, you get what you want, and then vote against the bill in question so you can say you voted against it in 2010 when it fails, in part because of the bullshit you added too it, than you are no longer welcome at the bargaining table. Warren pick was saying "i know this cat is important to you, here he is, i'm listening" this is "fine, if you want to play that way I can show you I'm not push over."