Lucero - RR&SB Vinyl

The first 3 albums are probably more consistent than the last two, but the last two contain "The War", "Bikeriders", and "I Can Get Us Out Of Here". Three of the best songs they've ever written.

since when is consistency the measure of a good band. the first three albums were consistent, not great, but strong. yes, the 4th and 5th are pushing towards something a little different.

The first 3 albums are probably more consistent than the last two, but the last two contain "The War", "Bikeriders", and "I Can Get Us Out Of Here". Three of the best songs they've ever written.

since when is consistency the measure of a good band. the first three albums were consistent, not great, but strong. yes, the 4th and 5th are pushing towards something a little different.

since when is progression the measure?

i just think that the songwriting is of MUCH better quality on the first three records.

since when is progression the measure?

i just think that the songwriting is of MUCH better quality on the first three records.

in my book progressing as a band, and progression of a discography is much more the measure of a good band than maintaining the consitancy of a bands earlier recordings. pick any band with longevity then watch their later catalog mature. i've been a fan of Lucero for a long time and love all their music. i just think that their earlier music, though wonderful to listen to, started becoming a little repetitive. i haven't read outside reviews for a while, but I bet I'm not the only one with this opinion. RR&SB isn't a perfect album, just think they're going in an interesting direction and complementing Ben's voice with a little classic rock n' roll.

Did i hear someone whisper "Virgil"? ;)

i have been bugging the band and their management for almost a year now. i have a good buddy that is gonna talk to ben this week to see what is up. I want to do this vinyl as well as put out tenneesee, s/t, and that much futrher west as a box set. I love those albums. wish me luck! that would rule!

needs to happen!

I've been into Lucero since the first record came out and loved the subsequent two albums (TN and TMFW). I really tried to get into Nobody's Darlings and RR&SB but they just don't quite have the emotion or the great songwriting of the first three records.

The music is progressing but the lyrics just haven't gone anywhere but downhill. Much in the same way that 'Crimson' comes off as the least inspired ALK3 record.

I still don't think Lucero has put out a completely solid album. Tennessee and TMFW were good but had 4-6 songs on each that I'd skip. Nobody's Darlings was pretty bad, IMO (there were a couple gems, The War being one). RR&SB has some of their best songs, but in the middle there are 3 or 4 that aren't that great.

They're a fun live band, but for me they've never put out a record that floored me.

I love this band and have since a friend sent me thier first LP (The Attic Tapes, not S/T) due to my love of Gram Parsons/Whiskeytown/Tupelo and have enjoyed everything they've done. I like the progression the albums have made and from the demos/live material I've seen/heard from the band the new album seems to be going more towards the sound of early recordings (a bit more sparse, different instumentation, etc).

Here's an old pic of my collection, this is an old photo and a few things were in a different box at my fathers house, including my Red 40 and Vegas Thunder stuff & both of my OG screend Attic Tapes. I've only got 2 copies of TN currently as I sold one a while back to cover my trip to see the band at the Lucero Family Picnic during Labor Day weekend.

[image]

nothing is for sale/trade unless you've got a test pressing or something along those lines

I must add, none of this stuff from Ebay, it's all been bought at shows/mailorder over the years. I'm very glad/lucky to have bought this stuff when I did.

The one DVD always gets questions, it's the original version of the first DVD "Bright Stars on Lonesome Nights" back when it was only available from the guy that made it on the old Lucerofamily.com messageboard.

I just recently (1 year or so) got into Lucero. One of the tattoo artists at the shop I go to is a huge fan and he attended college with Roy (drums)...so he has the connections...anyways, I'd always see him wearing a Lucero shirt and he has stickers all over his work station. One day I just asked him about them and picked up "Nobody's Darlings"...I have been hooked since...I've seen them live 4 times already and once even in Boston while I was up there specifically for the ISIS 10th anniversary shows...

Iseen them live 4 times already and once even in Boston while I was up there specifically for the ISIS 10th anniversary shows...

Happen to know the date of that Boston show? I may have it on CD and would gladly send you a copy if you wanted.

11/2/07 @ The Middle East Downstairs

That would be awesome of you if you do have it. It was a great set that night...from what I recall...I was pretty drunk towards the end there...but having a great time...