is beautiful the new hip word to use?

in regards to vinyl?

i seriously see tons and tons of posts on various messageboards where pretty much every release is considered "beautiful". even records that dont have matching color schemes, or anything other than standard art, or thats just ugly splatter vinyl for the sake of being splatter vinyl.

i think beautiful has replaced the word "crucial".......i think i hated that word more.

not just that.....there is a handful of threads in the last week alone that use that.

and i just saw a couple posts on another board calling a couple new releases beautiful. and ive just seen/heard that word multiple times a day in regards to new records.

just reminds me when every record was crucial.

don't worry, the cftpa is by no means crucial.

This probably won't address the overuse of the word, but to me, most packaging of the hyped new stuff feels like it's straight off the impersonal assembly line... yet people still seem to go gaga over any sort of color/square/"limited" tag (see MFGG). If stuff is going to get more expensive (like it is), I'd much rather see some personality thrown into the overall package. So sometimes the b-word is dropped when one thinks credit is due to the (otherwise ignored) label.

i completely agree.

i would like to see some better color schemes. i dont want a stock photo on a plain blue thin cover, and a totally clashing green with orange splatter vinyl, and a cd booklet insert.

just seems like people going crazy over something relatively standard, or dare i say, sub par.

i completely agree.

i would like to see some better color schemes. i dont want a stock photo on a plain blue thin cover, and a totally clashing green with orange splatter vinyl, and a cd booklet insert.

just seems like people going crazy over something relatively standard, or dare i say, sub par.

point taken.

I don't mind as much if the color totally clashes, but there should be a reason behind it, even if it's just price (ie.- a sale at the plant for red). I've stop reading the "suggest a color" threads.

... somehow I don't think the two of us are the target demographic

but for any future/aspiring label heads reading:

+a "cheap" record is okay but it should be inexpensive (Art of the Underground)

+if you're gonna ask for the big bucks, put some more thought into everything [vinyl, packaging, stamping/numbering/cutting, inserts, extras, alignment to a general theme] (Tree Records Post-marked stamps series)

I totally agree with you vinyljunkie. I don't understand a lot of the colors on records lately, especially stuff that is in no way related to the artwork of the album. I've always liked colored vinyl as a way of adding to the artwork as a whole and I see a lot of records now being put out with like five or six different colors in the same press, most of which don't fit with the album artwork at all. I don't understand it.

I totally agree with you vinyljunkie. I don't understand a lot of the colors on records lately, especially stuff that is in no way related to the artwork of the album. I've always liked colored vinyl as a way of adding to the artwork as a whole and I see a lot of records now being put out with like five or six different colors in the same press, most of which don't fit with the album artwork at all. I don't understand it.

I agree as well. This reminds me of the thread where we were supposed to suggest the color of the VC exclusive Goddammit repress. Maybe two or three people (myself included) were arguing in favor of 180 gram black. Of course, people all argued over some variation of red/clear/smoke/black on either half and half or splatter and then in the end they ended up pressing some really stupid colors (baby blue?). Oh well.

i guess its not all bad. Cause i get where places like No Idea just press on tons of colors, and especially after the 4th or 5th pressing of things, you run out of "coordinating" colors or whatever, so they just press on crazy colors all throughout.

just seems weird that the first or second pressing would be on some totally random color.

i guess its fine to each their, i just have a hard time understanding why people are quick to state its beautiful.

I agree as well. This reminds me of the thread where we were supposed to suggest the color of the VC exclusive Goddammit repress. Maybe two or three people (myself included) were arguing in favor of 180 gram black. Of course, people all argued over some variation of red/clear/smoke/black on either half and half or splatter and then in the end they ended up pressing some really stupid colors (baby blue?). Oh well.

the blame for the baby blue falls on mike park, i would assume -- we didn't pick that colour.

Guest genericinsight

I only will say I think a record is beautiful if I legitimately like the color pattern, like if it's swirled/split colored/splattered etc. A plain record on just one solid or one transparent color is nothing terribly special.

example, my comment on someone's Milloy LP in the "Post pics of your favorite vinyl" thread.