thank you comcast. (aka lost in HD)

robotnerd

while at times they are a fucking terrible company with atrocious customer service, they do some things "right". a while ago, they were cutting down a tree in my apartment courtyard and a stray falling branch severed my cable line. when they fixed the line, something had changed, when i reprogrammed my tv i had all sorts of channels i wasn't supposed to have. i pay $8 for the ultra basic cable package. it's normally about 25 channels, nothing past the major networks, and cspan or something. but now i had something like 80 or 90 channels, including hbo, comedy central, travel, discovery, discovery health, golf, g4, a bunch of other stuff i never watch, etc etc. i got a new tv this weekend, 42" hd, it's fantastic. when i hooked up my cable and programmed THIS tv, i found that comcast's screwup was even MORE advantageous for me. in addition to those 80 or 90 channels i'm not supposed to have, i now have a handful of HD channels. nothing super awesome, but nbc, abc, cbs, stuff like that. so last night i got to watch LOST in hd for the first time, it was almost absurd how awesome it was. widescreen and clearer than real life.

that is all.

If you have a TV with an HDTV tuner built in you should be able to get the basic HD channels for free.

I have Comcast's basic service. I never plugged in their little box, instead I put the cable right into my TV, did a scan for channels and BAM HD. I don't get On Demand, but I don't use that stuff anyways.

If you have a TV with an HDTV tuner built in you should be able to get the basic HD channels for free.

I have Comcast's basic service. I never plugged in their little box, instead I put the cable right into my TV, did a scan for channels and BAM HD. I don't get On Demand, but I don't use that stuff anyways.

that's the same thing i did for a while. i just recently got a DVR and haven't looked back, im getting almost 100 more channels for only $4 extra a month.

Hockey is good in HD, but not as great as baseball or football. There's a lot of movement in hockey, so you get a better picture in those other 2 sports.

baseball is pretty much the only reason I want to get an HDTV. well, that and apple tv, but that's another story.

Want one of those too. Especially now that it seems iTunes 8 might come with streaming video rentals/purchases.