Recovering Hard Drive?

Ok, so i found out my laptop is done. I'm ok with that. How can i get the stuff on a hard drive and put it on another laptop?

without going to a repair shop? a device of some sort?

So I've got a Compaq Presario F750us i've had maybe a little more than a year and I run it very rough. Making dvds, cds, downloading whole lots of crap, about 13,000 songs and a crapload of movies.

It turned it off before I went to sleep a few days ago and the next day it would not turn on.

When I press the power button, It lights up and you can hear a fan run for about a second and then it turns off. No screen action at all. It will keep doing that (powering on and off for about a second, every 5-7 seconds or so)until I take the battery out.

I've never had this problem before and im terrified, of repair shops, simply because i have ALOT of music that I dont want gone. and im not looking to spend alot of money for repairs but i will if i need too.

so i'm kind of hoping someone here maybe has had this problem before or has an idea of what it may be! thanks guys!

also, I dont have much knowledge in the computer skills, but someone told me it might be a problem with the video card?

I've been doing some internet surfing and im heaaring that this is actually a really common problem with hp products :(

different problems i've heard for this situation.

Video Chip

harddrive

ram

motherboard (This is most likely from the symptoms i have and a new one is like 200 bucks)

yeah, i had a desktop Compaq and was having the same problem.... it was the hard drive.

i took it to best buy's geek squad and they tried cleaning out the motor and fan and all that (you know, with the can of air spray) and it helped a little, but i still ended up having to get a new computer. you can at least try that so maybe you won't lose all your information (songs, etc.) but it sounds like you're in store for a pretty big purchase. sorry buddy.

no problem. ive got my refund coming, i just wasnt really planning or wanting to spend it on this

I posted a thread on a Pc forum and I waiting to hear what they say but it looks like I already know what i have to do

buy a new laptop :(

anyone have a suggestion?

granted, I love this laptop. I've used macs, acers, and a few other and nothing compared to this laptop. It could handle all my recording, music, videos ect.

buy a Mac like I am...

my Compaq laptop did this to me last year and was dead for months then one day I plugged it in and it turned on, after doing the same thing countless times... it's infuriating. but I'm just going to get Mac laptop and make the switch finally and just keep my iPod set up on PC because I have waaaaay too much time invested in ripping CDs to start over.

The external hd is a good idea. I love compaq. granted i got a very expensive one at the time, so im not into the cheap ones. but i dont think im going down that road anymore.

a mac is an idea right now. its more money than i really want to spend right now. but i neeeed it!

I also should note that i had all my peronal (music) recordings and lyrics on there for my ep. so that is my major need right now, keeping that stuff or at least getting it off that computer

Dell is proably the best of the build to order crowd, best bang for the buck in my opinion is the Toshibas. Sony is way over priced and HP are nothing but hassle.

Toshiba was an option too. my Bro has one and hes switching to a macbook so i might take his but i'm going to have to make some major modifications! but i like the way toshibas run.

my fiancee's compaq did this and it was a mother board. it was going to cost more to fix than the computer was worth, so she didnt get it done, but some techie person salvaged all her info off of the hard drive. if you know anyone good with computers, they may be able to try that. or you could pay to have it done, but its crazy expensive usually. her roommates hp had so many problems that it spent as much time being repaired as it did working. and my hp at one point turned on and told me i need a new hard drive. thats it, stopped working. (this was about 3 years ago). point is, i would stay away from hp. definitely get an external regardless of computer brand. im also gonna second the apple suggestion. i try not to be too much of an 'apple person', but if you get the applecare with the computer, you cannot beat the customer service.

from what i heard from the guys at best buy, they said stay away from compaqs....

apparently these problems are very common in them.

OR, if you're gonna go with another compaq, invest in a really good external hard drive and back up all your stuff on that, too.

yeah i got mine a few years ago on sale randomly for $499 so I kinda bought it on a whim...so at least it wasn't expensive...

my fiancee's compaq did this and it was a mother board. it was going to cost more to fix than the computer was worth, so she didnt get it done, but some techie person salvaged all her info off of the hard drive. if you know anyone good with computers, they may be able to try that. or you could pay to have it done, but its crazy expensive usually. her roommates hp had so many problems that it spent as much time being repaired as it did working. and my hp at one point turned on and told me i need a new hard drive. thats it, stopped working. (this was about 3 years ago). point is, i would stay away from hp. definitely get an external regardless of computer brand. im also gonna second the apple suggestion. i try not to be too much of an 'apple person', but if you get the applecare with the computer, you cannot beat the customer service.

my main thing is 800-1200 dollars for a decent new laptop or a couple hundred for a new motherboard (granted, thats the problem.)

I'm also insanely scared to go to a repair shop to get a "quote" because i had a friend who got his hd erased, and if that happens i might go crazy and shoot up a ice cream stand or something

my main thing is 800-1200 dollars for a decent new laptop or a couple hundred for a new motherboard (granted, thats the problem.)

thats understandable, but spending a few hundred to repair an old laptop always leaves the worry of something else needing to be repaired. within the three years that an applecare warranty lasts, you could end up spending 800+ on fixes.

yea, while im a mac person, i would never ever suggest compaq.. those things gave me hassles and lots of stress. my mom bought me a desktop for years, that thing would just randomly freeze, turn off, etc etc.. till one day i had enough and took it and threw it away.. my money is on dell if you're gonna go with another computer for pc platform.

also, if it's your computer, you can probably just find someone to take the internal hd out and turn it into a external for a few bucks.. my buddy does this to old laptops at work.. it's quite easy apparently...

if you decide to go mac, a macbook is a good choice. mine is 2 years old and i have yet to have a problem with it... my last one lasted me 6 years before i decided to just sell it for $50 to a friend..

If you're going the route of buying a new computer, be it mac, dell or anything else, any savy(read: geeky) friend should be able to get your old files off, at worst, by using a hard drive enclosure. That'll only work if your hard drive isn't dead. It sounds like the hard drive isn't the problem because the machine would, at the very least, still POST and tell you there's no operating system without a working HD.

Dell is proably the best of the build to order crowd, best bang for the buck in my opinion is the Toshibas. Sony is way over priced and HP are nothing but hassle.

Got a fancy HP and I love it, no problems. A co-worker got a really nice laptop from ibuypower.com for a good deal, custom build for power nerds, dell is good for custom build newbies.

Asking for help buying a laptop is like asking for dieting advice, everyone is an expert!

Got a fancy HP and I love it, no problems. A co-worker got a really nice laptop from ibuypower.com for a good deal, custom build for power nerds, dell is good for custom build newbies.

Asking for help buying a laptop is like asking for dieting advice, everyone is an expert!

You might just be one of the lucky ones. The last 3 my mom has bought (why she keeps buying, I will never know) have been nothing but a pain in my ass. Custom fit power supplies and mobo's are not my cup a tea.

Thanks everyone for the advice. looks like I've got to start selling crap to buy a new laptop. I've been reading up on this Hp Dealio and apparently as soon as it hits about a year, the mainframe and mother board crash. From what i've read its as common as Valentines day or something. Kinda wish i knew this before though. I also got a High end Compaq and i loved it an had no problems then out of the blue this happens. really sucks but it happens i guess.