Putting out a recored yourself

adam330

I want to try to release a 7 inch split of a couple local band from my area. Since I know there are quite a few folks on the board that have put out records I was wondering the following questions...

Where do I start? I know the bands I want, I just dont really know where to go to press them. How much would like 200 7 inches cost to press? Will I go broke if I do this?

I am not worried about making any money but breaking even would be nice. Basically break even then even split with the bands...

Any input would be amazing....

If interested here are the bands I want to use.

www.myspace.com/dethiacon

www.myspace.com/herculesne

I find that if you print the art on 8x14 legal paper, it's easy to just make a couple cuts for the flaps; fold; glue; and voila, you have your own 7x7 sleeve.

or save yourself hours of work and just do fold over covers.

Yeah, that too. If you are going to use plastic sleeves anyway, just use foldover covers. But if you are doing glue pocket covers, this method might save you $200+

or save yourself hours of work and just do fold over covers.

Yeah, that too. If you are going to use plastic sleeves anyway, just use foldover covers. But if you are doing glue pocket covers, this method might save you $200+

don't skimp out on the plastic sleeves...seriously...

You got some horror stories? I see the necessity, but it also seems like such a waste. I think too much about shit like this, I can't shut my mind off sometimes. Anyways, I have had stuff shipped to me without a plastic sleeve in an envelope with no protective backing and it was fine, and I have had padded and sleeved stuff come in looking like shit. But in the end, it's nice to just be cautious I suppose.

Honestly dude, if you want to keep it cheap do a test press only run of the records. I think extra tests are like $1. You could do the pressing for like $500, if I did the math right in my head, and get about 200 tests. You'll still need jackets and you'll get blank labels but it might be cheaper.

i'm in the same boat, its a local black metal band, so more then likely the cover will be black and white and red and the vinyl itself will be black.

hell if anybody could send me to some dudes who make vinyl, or even how the process itself works i'd appreciate it.

Lucky Laquers

Pirates Press

Rainbo Records (will do everything if you want them, I've used them before)

United

Recordpressing.com

Erika Records

Stumptown Printers

Iloveimprint.com

Dorado

You'll need to provide a master and artwork for labels, at least. All places where covers are made will provide templates somewhere. You'll need to find templates for each piece of art. All your art should be at least 200 dpi if not 300 dpi. And all your art needs to be made to size.