A rookie question about vinyl

I've slowly yet surely have been drawn into this hobby by my friend, and am looking at buying a system, now my extremly rookie question is what is exactly needed to play vinyl? my friend says if i get a turntable i should get a Rega since they sound decent and are pretty well priced for quality, but beyond that, i'm not really certain. can a stereo system like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7902692&productCategoryId=abcat0202002&type=product&tab=2&id=1149206405676#productdetail

be used to run a turntable through it? any help would be appreciated.

At the very least you need a turntable, speakers, and an amp of some sort. Now, the type of system you linked to does have an amp in it, so it will work. However, you will also need a pre-amp for that. The stylus (needle) picks up the signal on a record at such a low level that the pre-amp is needed to amplify the signal so that it then gets amplified at normal levels through your amp (this is putting it very, very simply). You can also use a receiver, and you'll again need a pre-amp.

Another option is a vintage receiver, these have built in pre-amps. Or you can go with an integrated amp which usually has a phono pre-amp.

The route you take depends on your budget and your listening style so I can't really tell you what to go with. However, I can say with almost complete confidence, that that system you linked to will sound like crap and you should look into something else. You can do much better for the money.

Guest abravemorning

Aside from a turntable, all you need is some sort of device with RCA jacks and speakers. The quality of sound will deeply depend on whatever you push the sound through, but you can even run a turntable through a TV. I used to run my turntable just through my TV. Now I run it through a DVD/Surround Sound system. The fidelity quality is definitely an improvement.

oh jesus, don't buy that.

I recommend checking out the store and going for a home theater system. test them out with a CD you like to listen to (bring in your iPod/CD player and a RCA to 1/8 inch cable and plug it into the amp) and test them out.

i also recommend the open box deals. i got a 6.1 Yamaha 700W a little while back for $400 and it DESTROYS.

plus, think about what you want to use it for in the future. like say you want HDTV and want to pass the HDMI cables through the amp to increase your sond quality.

patience.