Major labels continue to be fucking idiots

tell me why its a good idea to pay 15 dollars for a cd when the artists on major labels get maybe 50 cents per cd to split between 4-5 people. why should i give 5 dollars for every cd to the CEO of a label so he can make 100 million dollars a year for sitting in a fucking chair at the top of a skyscraper. don't break it down. i've heard the marketing and manufacturing and salary bullshit before. fuck you for turning bands into brands. i don't care who it is, the band is one with the "product" and they should be the ones rewarded for it. its nobodies place to exploit what so many people have worked so hard for. writing music isn't like going to college, its 100 times harder. if you've never been in a band, you don't know a thing about creating music and how nerve wracking it can be. don't take what someone created for granted. if more bands knew how to be diy, labels wouldn't exsist. i'm not defending indie labels either. victory and trustkill are just as guilty of rape fucking bands too.

if your in a band, you don't need a label, you need willpower. its not hard to get your self and you music out there. get what you deserve.

on a separate note,

steal music, go to shows, give the band 8 dollars for downloading their album, tell them you'd rather the money went straight into their pockets than be filtered down then buy a shirt and say thank you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what banks and loans are for.

a label is like both a bank and a loan. they are there to supply money and make interest.

if your album cost 10,000 dollars to make, sell 1000 cds at 10 dollars a piece. if you believe in your band enough to spend 10 grand for an album, believe me, you can sell AT LEAST 1000 cds

if you believe in what you are doing, you wont go bankrupt.

In today's market, who is giving $10,000 loans to bands?

If they're an active band, I'm willing to bet they don't have secure jobs. If they don't have secure jobs, they probably don't have much of anything for collateral. Banks just don't throw money at people. They expect it back, and if not money, something worth that much money.

most people know you cant just go into a bank and demand money. you have to be smart about it. go into the bank with a business model just to show the bank that you are smart and responsible enough to run your band as a business until the point you no longer need that kind of outsourced sustenance. that's why i said if more bands knew how to diy, they wouldn't need anyone.

nobody needs to be scared by the "bad condition" of the market. if people would stop being so concerned, they'd realize things would revert very quickly.

True, but if you're in charge of giving out loans, and a band comes in asking for ten grand, what's the first thing you think? Is it, "Hell yea, I bet these kids make it! Their tattoos are so convincing!" Or is it, "look at these dumbass kids, what puts them above the other million bands trying to make money too? They're not going to make it, and I won't see my money back."

Even in a good economy, returns on bands aren't too promising.

Banking is sort of a conservative establishment, and you didn't address the main issue that bankers don't have faith in bands succeeding. In fact, the general consensus in society outside of diehard musicians and fans is that being in a band is sort of an immature occupation that is eventually going to peter out.

The difference between those and bands are success rates and collateral, which I mentioned before. Most people pay off their cars. Most people pay off their houses. If they don't, they get repo'ed. If a band doesn't succeed, what are you going to do? Seize their CD stash and call it even?

Look, I don't think major labels are doing very much right, but to say that it's as simple as coming up with a business plan and hitting up a bank for money is naive. The best bet any band has of doing something like that on their own is to work hard at the start and play a lot of shows to build up some money first, then record. Either that or have some generous parents.

The best bet any band has of doing something like that on their own is to work hard at the start and play a lot of shows to build up some money first, then record.

totally agreed. that is exactly what my band is doing. but its just another option, going to a bank is just an option, certainly not the only one. im just trying to say that its not hard to be self reliant. that is the only point im trying to prove.

i have about 200 itunes songs, but they all came from about 4-5 years ago when apple was starting it, they had that promotion with pepsi where you got a free song with each pop. so i sucked it up and drank that shit (i usually drink about 4 20oz of coke per day, i hate pepsi) to get the exclusive stuff they had at the time.