Bikes!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a Surly Cross Check in Beef Gravy Brown. Much more practical for me than a fixie since I live in Colorado and there are hills everywhere. I ditched the roadbike bars and got a nice set of hell bent straight bars, upgraded to Paul breaks and some new shifters. To top it off I got a rad Brooks brown leather saddle with brass hammered rivets. I fucking love this bike. Going for a ride now as a matter of fact.

I just got a Surly Cross Check in Beef Gravy Brown. Much more practical for me than a fixie since I live in Colorado and there are hills everywhere. I ditched the roadbike bars and got a nice set of hell bent straight bars, upgraded to Paul breaks and some new shifters. To top it off I got a rad Brooks brown leather saddle with brass hammered rivets. I fucking love this bike. Going for a ride now as a matter of fact.

Sweet!

Photo(s)?

I ride fixed but I actually use a front and rear brake. The rear brake is used rarely but comes in very handy when going down a steep hill to keep me from spinning out of control.

this is probably a really stupid question but how does this work? I mean isn't the whole point of a fixie so you don't need brakes? Do you just brake and keep peddling at the same time?

I ride fixed but I actually use a front and rear brake. The rear brake is used rarely but comes in very handy when going down a steep hill to keep me from spinning out of control.

this is probably a really stupid question but how does this work? I mean isn't the whole point of a fixie so you don't need brakes? Do you just brake and keep peddling at the same time?

you don't need brakes per say, but in an emergency situation it's tough to slow all your momentum down with only your legs if you're not great at skidding, so brakes makes it alot quicker.

Gears are for pussies, glow in the dark pedals are not.

Custom built by me because I rule!

Minty, why are you running such a short gear up front?

28/10. It's the 'optimum' ratio.

I might get a 9 on the back though because that might make pedaling stiffer. I can max out my speed in no time at all right now.

It's actually my only real mode of transport, I use it to ride home from work (6 miles)or ride to my friends houses (3 miles). I've riden 6+ miles a day for the past 3 years or so, which is probably why I'm not a fatty. This week I've been riding about 15 miles a day and I can now beat my friends home from the pub with them going in a taxi. :D

I do love riding a bit of street though, hoping around and airing stuff (although not well).

And yes, the cranks are 180mm.

The majority of the time I skip/skid to slow down. On big hills I apply the breaks and continue to pedal although I am slowing my spin down. I only use the rear brake on big hills because I don't like over spinning and losing control of the bike. I could slow down enough with my front brake but I just like the added confidence I get from riding with both brakes. They don't really add much weight to my bike either. As far as most fixed gear riders are concerned, one or no brakes is the most common.

Great mode then!

I was interested since it seems like you'd just spin out the ratio really quickly. Have you tried a bigger ratio? More power: more air!

When I raced BMX I was running a 47/16, so you can see why I was surprised to see yr set-up!

28/10 is actually harder to pedal than 47/16! Saves loads of weight too, although it does put the chain through a lot of stress.

You can go as low as 23/8 now, although I've seen pictures of people with snapped sprockets.

EDIT: Here's a pic of that ratio:

[image]