ghetto action on 32nd st, Chicago IL

So, I live on the southside of Chicago, but just barely, and I always meet people who think it's crazy/weird/stupid that I live south of downtown, and this typically pisses me off. Because, I've never had a problem in my neighborhood, and it's actually quite quiet and friendly compared to more northern neighborhoods. And for the most part, I love living here.

BUT in the last five days there has been a shooting on my block, and tonight there was about seven cop cars hanging out and watching this huge group of people scream at each other. As this was going down my roommate &friend watched from my fire escape. the cops didn't do anything because there weren't any guns or physical violence, but this whole apprehensive stand-off lasted for hours!

what the fuck is happening to my home?

edit: because drunk spelling makes me look handicapped.

[image]

hahahaha holy shit. Just what every thread needs.

Also, if there isn't constant sirenblare, shooting, fire, robbery, attack, or crazy bitches causing a ruckus in your neighborhood, you aren't getting the whole "living on your own" experience.

when i moved from my parents to san antonio, i was sooooo use to this kind of noise that i couldn't sleep for days because it was so quite in my neighborhood i lived in (st elmo) . I'm still not use to it.

32nd and halsted is 32 blocks south of downtown and 8 blocks west. You live on the southside, if you plan on living there, get used to it.

I live a mile away from Wrigley Field and someone got shot at across the street from my house trying to stop a mugging.

Iiiiiiiii love livin' in the city.

Hahaha, my friend lives on 31st and just west of Halsted and he tells me all the time about all the weird shit that the 'Bridgeport mutants' do. I hate that too, I grew up near 103rd and Western on the far southwest side and people just assume that since I don't live in Wrigleyville I'm from the hood. Uptown is 1000 times more crime ridden than Bridgeport.

If I was able to move back to Chicago after school and had the money, I would live in one of those high end condos on 31st or 37th by the stadium.

32nd and halsted is 32 blocks south of downtown and 8 blocks west. You live on the southside, if you plan on living there, get used to it.

I live a mile away from Wrigley Field and someone got shot at across the street from my house trying to stop a mugging.

Iiiiiiiii love livin' in the city.

uhhh ... "get used to it" LOL I'm from Detroit, so I'm definitely used to shit happening like this, but this is my first time experiencing it in Chicago on my typically quiet street. &for the record, you can still be used to stuff and note that it is happening.

Hahaha, my friend lives on 31st and just west of Halsted and he tells me all the time about all the weird shit that the 'Bridgeport mutants' do. I hate that too, I grew up near 103rd and Western on the far southwest side and people just assume that since I don't live in Wrigleyville I'm from the hood. Uptown is 1000 times more crime ridden than Bridgeport.

If I was able to move back to Chicago after school and had the money, I would live in one of those high end condos on 31st or 37th by the stadium.

Thank you! My best friend lives in Uptown and therefore I spend most of my time there, and it is pretty hood. Way more so than where I live. I don't know, I love where I live, even if spring has brought out guns and fights. For the most part, it's just working families & poor college kids. I moved here, because at the time it was really the only place I was able to afford. But I'm glad that was the case.

Thank you! My best friend lives in Uptown and therefore I spend most of my time there, and it is pretty hood. Way more so than where I live. I don't know, I love where I live, even if spring has brought out guns and fights. For the most part, it's just working families & poor college kids. I moved here, because at the time it was really the only place I was able to afford. But I'm glad that was the case.

Baseball alliances aside, I would much rather live in Bridgeport than almost anywhere on the North Side, less hipster fucks, more parking, cheaper beers.

I live in south bend and theres crime problems here, too. Its a fact or urban living.

Baseball alliances aside, I would much rather live in Bridgeport than almost anywhere on the North Side, less hipster fucks, more parking, cheaper beers.

I live in south bend and theres crime problems here, too. Its a fact or urban living.

Right, I wasn't making this to imply that I was completely unaware when I moved here and that I wasn't expecting shit to happen (I actually made this because I had had too much whiskey, but another story, another day). I was actually expecting some shit to go down every once in a while, but I still knew it would be better than Detroit, but, I've lived here since August and nothing had ever happened. And then these two pretty big incidents happened in one week. I guess I was commenting on the strangeness of it in general. Because it had initially surprised me.

Right, I wasn't making this to imply that I was completely unaware when I moved here and that I wasn't expecting shit to happen (I actually made this because I had had too much whiskey, but another story, another day). I was actually expecting some shit to go down every once in a while, but I still knew it would be better than Detroit, but, I've lived here since August and nothing had ever happened. And then these two pretty big incidents happened in one week. I guess I was commenting on the strangeness of it in general. Because it had initially surprised me.

I gotcha. I just don't like when people just assume because its the south side that its hood.

Detroit has to be top 3 worst ghettos i've ever seen though. Shit's real there.

I gotcha. I just don't like when people just assume because its the south side that its hood.

Detroit has to be top 3 worst ghettos i've ever seen though. Shit's real there.

yeah, that's my whole thing. I have friends from school who are actually afraid to come over to my place at night, and they've never even been here before, but I tell them "oh yeah, it's just like 3 miles south of the south loop" and they get all weird about coming over. Sorry I can't afford to live on the Mich.

hahah, I want to do some filming in Gary. I have an idea for a project about deserted cities in the US. Gary is up there on my list.

Dude, I love Pilsen, but parts of it are kind of creepy. I'd totally want to move to 18th/Halsted area if the transportation was a little better.

My birthday is on Cinco de Mayo, so I plan on spending the entire day there. It will be amazing<3.

&i get you. Things never translate well over the web.

I didn't try to imply that just because you live on the South Side you live in a shitty area. I actually think most of the South Side gets a bad reputation from a few bad areas, namely Englewood and Pilsen.

If you want to talk ghetto come to Gary. It's just across the border!

Exactly.

Is that ballpark next to the highway in Gary nice? It certainly looks so from the outside.

Gary is like any other city, it has some nice areas and some shitty areas. It's definitely worth visiting though. My band is going to take pictures in an abandonded church in Gary at some point so that should be interesting haha. I actually get my tattoos done in Gary...I'm not sure why.

I think Pilsen is an awesome area. It just sucks because there is a lot of gang tension which is what creates most of the problems in the area.

I think there is just a terrible stigma about the south side that isn't really true any more. Ten years ago though what is now considered the south loop was an area you didn't want to be in. Gentrification changed a lot of that, for better or worse, but most people still see it in the same light.

I didn't try to imply that just because you live on the South Side you live in a shitty area. I actually think most of the South Side gets a bad reputation from a few bad areas, namely Englewood and Pilsen.

If you want to talk ghetto come to Gary. It's just across the border!

Exactly.

Is that ballpark next to the highway in Gary nice? It certainly looks so from the outside.

I've never been, but I've heard it's amazing. the city dumped a ton of money into that park and let the areas that truly needed rebuilding fall apart even more.

I've heard that Gary has some amazing abandoned buildings and what have you. I'm getting ready to begin pre-production and research on an urban splunking documentary. I think I'm going to centralize it in Detroit, but I'd love to see some of the places in Gary.

If you ever need someone to show you around/help out/whatever let me know. I know that area like the back of my hand.

I've heard that Gary has some amazing abandoned buildings and what have you. I'm getting ready to begin pre-production and research on an urban splunking documentary. I think I'm going to centralize it in Detroit, but I'd love to see some of the places in Gary.

PLEASE tell me the focus of your documentary will be the hobo-sicle.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2009/01/at-least-the-hockey-game-kept-going

hahah, I want to do some filming in Gary. I have an idea for a project about deserted cities in the US. Gary is up there on my list.

Come to New Orleans, there are abandoned houses and buildings on every block. The ghettos here are surreal and completely different than anything up north.