advice for an am. screenwriter

I love screenwriting, I think I fairly good, and I want to do this as a carrer.

But I have no idea what to do next, to get this moving in the right direction.

I have read about how you have to get an agent and be in the writers guild.

Does anyone have some advice or know anything about the prosses?

a professor of mine use to be a tv show writer (wrote episodes for twilight zone, teenage mutant ninja turtles, walker texas ranger) and said that it's a catch 22 in getting in the WGA. In order to get in, you need an agent, and in order to get an agent, you need to be a part of the WGA. Though once in i hear the benefits are great. They make sure you get paid.

a professor of mine use to be a tv show writer (wrote episodes for twilight zone, teenage mutant ninja turtles, walker texas ranger) and said that it's a catch 22 in getting in the WGA. In order to get in, you need an agent, and in order to get an agent, you need to be a part of the WGA. Though once in i hear the benefits are great. They make sure you get paid.

Thats where I'm at. What do I do first? Do I need to get an agent first? or do I need to try and get in the WGA? I think you have to pay to get into the WGA but I'm not too sure.

I am currently attending film school with a concentration in screenwriting. It's all I want to do. All I've ever done is writewritewrite since I was a child. It's more of a compulsion than anything else, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

good luck when you fly out to L.A. because it's a vicious business. I know people who have been in L.A. for years, talented people, and nothing but your run of the mill P.A. jobs are available. I've heard horror stories of writer's being out there for years before anything, if anything happens. It's really just about knowing people. Networking will make or break you.

i've never personally been to LA, but have a bunch of friends who have been or are living there. If you have any specific questions, I could try to help a brother out.

I am currently attending film school with a concentration in screenwriting. It's all I want to do. All I've ever done is writewritewrite since I was a child. It's more of a compulsion than anything else, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

good luck when you fly out to L.A. because it's a vicious business. I know people who have been in L.A. for years, talented people, and nothing your run of the mill P.A. jobs are available. It's really just about knowing people. Networking will make or break you.

i've never personally been to LA, but have a bunch of friends who have been or are living there. If you have any specific questions, I could try to help a brother out.

Thats awesome, thanks.

I love screenwriting, when i'm writing i can see the picture in my head going and going and its awesome. I havnt been to LA eather, my bro lives in south cal and i figure i crash with him a few nights. I heard its all about networking, but when i try to talk to other more pro screenwriters over myspace and facebook they never send anything back. Its kind of frustrating but i dont want to work at Sam's Club the rest of my life so im working on it.