computer nerds: help a fella out

Guest afsdan

I can almost guarantee I would never use all 16. On my computer right now I only have 2GB and it's starting to become really bad where it takes a good while just to pull up a Word document. And since 4GB is only two more, I was planning to go with 8GB just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, 8 GB should be plenty. I wouldn't worry TOO much about future-proofing to 16 GB. For the most part, processor speed has been kinda stagnant. We have pushed the metallic components in them to the point that they can't work any faster without melting. Obviously this is a blanket statement about the industry and people are still finding ways for small improvements, though.

The next step was to add more processors. But parallelism can only take us so far as well, since only some computing jobs can be done in parallel (running two separate programs at once, for a trivial example) but some things have to be done in series (like a game screen responding to user input over time). I realize this is trivializing parallel computing for any software guys out there.

So that is a long way of saying, the RAM and processor work together and until there's a breakthrough in processing power, there's going to be no point in going to 16+ GB of RAM (except in certain instances, like design software, mathematical / engineering applications, etc...).

That's an expensive apple sticker. I will build you a working computer with 32gb of RAM and a 2TB drive for half the price. And I will throw in the apple sticker for free.

Way to poop on the guy's new laptop excitement.

I think by his discussion of possibly upgrading the RAM outside of Apple he knew somewhat about the pricing of Apple's technology and that he was paying a bit for the brand / warranty / etc and cheaper options could be had. I wouldn't make the choice to buy Apple but at least he knew what he was trading off (brand, warranty, service vs. cheapest price for tech specs).

Yea I got my first mac in '08 it was a MBP 17" since then I've been using a Macbook White w/ unibody design :P It's my music box that lets me write papers :P Have a pretty sick gaming rig that I use for league of legends :P I love my Mac when I'm doing computer stuff and only like PC when I'm playing my games lol

he knew somewhat about the pricing of Apple's technology and that he was paying a bit for the brand / warranty / etc and cheaper options could be had

Basically this. I know that there are cheaper options, but I really like Apple's computers and OS, so I sprang for something a little more expensive but I knew I would enjoy it more than if I went with a Windows computer.

I would take a $1300 macbook pro over a $750 non-mac with twice as much harddrive/ram ANY day.

I have yet to experience a non-mac laptop that makes me feel like I'm truly in control.  Maybe it's just the awful trackpad on every single laptop ever...  or the osx...

You could just make sure you go with a high-end (maybe even the same one apple uses) trackpad and buy the newest version of OSX separately. Just saying it's an option.

Yea I got my first mac in '08 it was a MBP 17" since then I've been using a Macbook White w/ unibody design :P It's my music box that lets me write papers :P Have a pretty sick gaming rig that I use for league of legends :P I love my Mac when I'm doing computer stuff and only like PC when I'm playing my games lol

I had a 17" Dell laptop. Regretted going that size immediately as soon as I bought it. So big it made my backpack feel uncomfortable to carry, especially with a couple textbooks in there. I think 14 or 15" is the perfect laptop screen.

Cue joke about us all being midgets followed by a smiley face...

Linux!

With ya. Does everything I would want an OS to do. Has developed into something pretty user friendly (still have to go to the terminal prompt once in a while though). Would never pay for an OS again.

Mentioned it a couple times before, though, and seems like it's not very popular around here.

Alright guys, the memory and the hard drive have both came in and the actual MacBook will be here tomorrow. I've got to transfer all my data, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to do it, and thought maybe you all could help me.

Ok so I have a 160GB hard drive in my (now) old computer, a 500GB hard drive in the new one, and a 1TB hard drive that I bought to put in my new one.

I need to transfer the data from the 160GB to the 1TB, which sounds easy right? Well I have OS 10.5.8 on the 160GB, and no OS on on the 1TB, the computer comes without an OS disc, so the only copy of 10.8.? comes on the 500GB hard drive. I really don't want to pay for the OS again, and I have no way (that I wouldn't have to buy anything) of transferring except a firewire port. 

My thought process was just copying the files I want from 160 to 500 (I would then have all the files I want on 10.8.?). Then, saving 500 backup to 160. Then, putting 160 backup onto 1TB.

Can anyone see a flaw in my process, or think of a faster/more efficient way?

Wait until the computer comes. It may have a recovery partition on the hd that you can use to create a disc. Computer companies just do that now cause it must be cheaper than shipping discs.

As for your plan, I don't know. Not sure how a formatted HD with no os installed would read a backup image? Maybe someone else can answer better than me.

It might not be that simple. How do you plan on backing up the 500 to the 160? You will more than likely need a full bootable clone to restore to the 1TB once it is installed in the new computer.

The easiest way to accomplish this is with an external hard drive (or an empty hard drive enclosure to install the 1TB in temporarily). In fact, if you were to get an enclosure, you could install the 500GB drive into it when you are through and use it for extra storage.

In fact, if you were to get an enclosure, you could install the 500GB drive into it when you are through and use it for extra storage.

DIdn't think about this, I may buy one soon.

Then, on the old computer, set the 160 GB as a network share so the new computer can access it over the LAN. From there just transfer your files from the old computer to the new one over your local network.

Also didn't think about network sharing, thanks for that.

Here is another way to get you 1TB up and running.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Then you could just migrate directly from the 160.

And if I read this right, I can just install my 1TB, turn on and hold down command-r, and download Mountain Lion by server? If that's the case what I'll do is just download it, then network share from my old computer to transfer files.

And if I read this right, I can just install my 1TB, turn on and hold down command-r, and download Mountain Lion by server? If that's the case what I'll do is just download it, then network share from my old computer to transfer files.

I think you may have to take the route where it explains installing OSX to an external HDD by partitioning it.

That's the way I read it. Also, once everything is installed and running, I'd boot your old computer into FireWire disk mode and connect it to your new computer. It will be way faster than copying over the network. You can even use migration assistant on the new computer to copy your entire user over to the new computer.

Regarding partitions, I recently purchased a 2TB external for 140 bucks.  I partitioned 600gb for Time Machine, 1.3tb for movies and programs, and 50gb for R/W between windows and macs.

If you have the money, I would buy an SSD for your OS. That's what I did. SSD for OS and 1TB HDD for everything else. 

That's the way I read it. Also, once everything is installed and running, I'd boot your old computer into FireWire disk mode and connect it to your new computer. It will be way faster than copying over the network. You can even use migration assistant on the new computer to copy your entire user over to the new computer.

Yeah, I was gonna say copying a whole computer's worth of stuff over a network would take a while...

Yeah, I was gonna say copying a whole computer's worth of stuff over a network would take a while...

It's not that much stuff. The only stuff that I really need transferred is stuff like word documents, and my iTunes library. Well word documents aren't that big at all, and my iTunes library is ~75GB in all (music, movies, and TV shows) and out of that 22GB is music. So what I'll probably do is make sure all the music's transferred over, and then move the rest bit by bit because I don't watch that much stuff on my computer anyway.

Also, 1st post with my new computer! Haven't installed the other hard drive yet, it'll be like 30 minutes before I can get a T6 screwdriver to remove all the screws, but I'll let you all know how that goes once I get a screwdriver.