Sell your records in Vinyl Collective's store

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

If Amazon and Half.com can do it, why shouldn't we? At least that is what I have been thinking for a while now. I have been wanting to offer used records in the Vinyl Collective store but I wasn't sure how to make this happen. Should I have people with Used records send them to us for sale? Nah, that could potentially damage a box of records. Should we put up ads that we buy records and sell those records to all of you? That could work, but only selling used records from folks in Colorado could be limiting. After much thought, I have come up with what I think is the best solution. I already know that many of you sell on Ebay and I know that some of you have had lots of success selling there and may have no interest in what we are about to offer. What I offer is a new section within the Vinyl Collective store for Used Records searchable by seller. There will be no listing fees, you set the price you want to sell it at, and you only see a "fee" when your record(s) are sold. We accept and process the payment, pay all merchant fees, and all you do is ship the record to the buyer. You benefit from the traffic to the Vinyl Collective store. We set you up with a seller account and people will be able to search for just your titles.

We will take a 15 percent commission when your record is sold(this includes all merchant processing fees), pay you once a month for your sales, and you can keep your records listed for as long as you like.

Any volunteers? We want to test this out and are looking for 10 people interested in helping us make this work. We want to work out the kinks before we launch it worldwide. Email me virgil at suburban home records dot com if you are interested. Only U.S. sellers for now please. Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like a good idea, but the only hang up i could see would be if you sold records and had to wait a month before you got the funds. I know alot of people are broke these days so getting the payment instantly covers the shipping.

Today i went to the post office and spent 56 dollars to ship all the records i had sold and if i didnt have the money instantly i probably couldnt afford to ship them all.

other than that i think it is a great idea, plus generates more income for vc and more traffic for the store.

Guest duhpunk

for obvious reasons, i think this should be limited to more seasoned posters at first...to avoid anyone getting screwed over by shady sellers.

It seems like a good idea, but the only hang up i could see would be if you sold records and had to wait a month before you got the funds. I know alot of people are broke these days so getting the payment instantly covers the shipping.

Today i went to the post office and spent 56 dollars to ship all the records i had sold and if i didnt have the money instantly i probably couldnt afford to ship them all.

other than that i think it is a great idea, plus generates more income for vc and more traffic for the store.

Very good point. Not everyone can afford to wait a month. If you can figure out a way to get people their money instantly (or at least get the wait time down to 2-3 days) then this could really take off.

Would you institute any sort of feedback system?

emailed for details

also, the biggest complaint here is the payment frequency?

half.com and the lot do this once a month.

People who are consistently selling records really need to be paid more than once a month?

You know, after thinking about i think their could be some options.

Like, maybe an option where an additional fee was charged from virgil (an extra few %) to get paid in 3-5 days.

Or an option to pull items down off the site in order to try and sell them on ebay and or in the sell/trade forum in order to get funds instantly

Just thinking out loud, maybe get some ideas out there.

I mean most of the time i am not broke, but recently i got hit with a bunch of medical and car repair bills just as i booked a vacation which sucked up all my extra cash, so i needed money ASAP. In most cases i would be fine with the once a month lump sum payment, but i could see it as a problem for some people

about the once a month payment: maybe there could be a way that the seller gets the shipping money right away and then gets the rest of the payment at the end of the month?

But thinking of the workload/efficiency, sending out two payments (1 for shipping and 1 for the record) for a record(s) greatly increases the number of payments sent out by VC, increases paypal fees for the seller, and increases the chance of human error.

And im sure i could think of some other cons if i didnt drink so many diner beers.