Records that stop before they're supposed to?

Guest genericinsight

Guest genericinsight

I'm not sure if the subject is an appropriate way to word this but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this before.

About a month ago, I ordered a 7" by this band Hear The Sirens from California. Towards the end of the second (and final) track on side 2, the music suddenly got really low and warped sounding, then went back to normal, then suddenly just stopped mid-song. I know for a fact the song wasn't over (it stopped in the middle of a gang vocal chorus). I checked and sure enough, it was still in the middle of the grooves. I tried playing it again and same thing. I didn't think much and figured probably just a small defect, and forgot about it.

Then yesterday I received the split 7" by End Of A Year and Kids Explode in the mail, and sure enough, the same EXACT thing happened on the Kids Explode side - side 2 of the record, song stopped before it was supposed to, sound got low/came back, and then stopped altogether.

Again, I'm sure this is probably a defect of some kind but I find it so odd that two different records have the same issue in the exact same spot. Does anyone know what maybe could be causing this? Has this happened before to anyone else? This is new to me as I can't say I've heard anything like this before, especially for two different records. I don't think it could be a dust issue because I clean all my records with a dust brush and sometimes a cloth before I play them now.

Guest genericinsight
This doesn't happen with any other records? That's one hell of a coincidence, I would normally think it's a turntable issue

see so would I, but it's only happened with those two.

This doesn't happen with any other records? That's one hell of a coincidence, I would normally think it's a turntable issue

Agreed. My turntable has an automatic stop point and the arm retracts automatically...it makes it a real bitch to try and play 5" records (that Live On A Five series was murder). I have an Isocracy 7" that stops before the song ends, but I think that's because the song continues into the lead out grooves.

Guest genericinsight
were those two records put out by the same label and pressed at the same pressing plant?

not the same label, though I'll have to check on the plant.

Guest genericinsight

hmm all interesting responses. I checked - the Hear The Sirens 7" was done by Pirates Press, the EOAY/Kids Explode split I can't tell where it was made, doesn't seem to say near the labels.

it's funny you mention about the LTJ 5" because I actually have a similar problem with a 5" that I have now that I think about it. In this case I would think maybe it had to do with the weight of each record - the EOAY/Kids Explode 7" is ridiculously thin, it almost feels like it could be a flexi. But the Hear The Sirens record is standard 7" weight, if not a little bit heavier.

I have 2 other turntables in my house, neither of which are hooked up but I'm gonna try playing both of the records on them and see if I get the same issue. If I don't, then it's likely a problem with my table.

Guest genericinsight
i have that hear the sirens 7". :)

hah, awesome. I really like them. They contacted me through my radio show wanting to get played so one of the dudes sent me all the songs in mp3 form. I dug them so much I just ordered the 7".

(I'm guessing yours doesn't have the same problem as mine which would also lead me to believe this isn't an issue with all the records and is probably just my table fucking up)

Guest genericinsight

small update: I haven't played the "problematic" records on the other tables but I did watch the table carefully whilst playing another 7" on second song side 2. This one didn't stop completely but it did start to slow down and got quiet like the other ones. Which I guess means my table is broken. fuck.

Guest genericinsight

^Hey thanks for all that input, but I tried playing it on a different table and the problem records work fine on them. I've since moved that table into my room... it actually sounds WAY better than the other one when I hooked them up to the speakers.

the other one has been giving me problems for years. It's a CD changer/turntable/cassette deck. CD changer has been broken for quite a while, and it broke once only to get fixed and then stop working again shortly after. the whole thing is a piece of junk. The records didn't even sound that good on it and I never noticed till I switched tables today. I'll post pics of my "new" setup in the hardware thread.

but for the record this is what the one I just moved out of my room looks like:

[image]

• 1 month later...
Guest genericinsight
That photo is not a phonograph.

Barely a record player. (just needs some Mickey Mouse ears)

You music will thank you for moving that out.

Don't ruin your collection by attempting to play them on inferior equipment.

yeah that thing has long since been trashed. I switched to one of the older turntables in the house and the sound quality is far, FAR better too.