Finding records...**Updated w/ Pics!

So my tail light blew out on my car -- a 2005 VW Jetta. I figured the access port to the bulbs was somewhere in the trunk so I started fiddling around and sure enough it was.

During the process, I re-discovered the "hidden" storage area on the sidewall of my trunk. It's about 14"X14" and about 3" deep, possibly designed for kilos of cocaine. It blends right in with the rest, save the locking knobs. If you're not looking for it or don't know it's there, you can't really see it.

I opened it up. Out fell:

Shotmaker: The Crayon Club (blue tint cover -- I bought this from Nick at the record shop his mom owned)

Pecola: Dat Hoang 12" (I bought this at the release show. Don't know if it is special in anyway, but it kills it regardless.)

I lost all of my records during Hurricane Katrina. I guess these two were salvagable and I stuck them in there when I went through and gutted the place and saved what little I could. The covers are pretty damaged -- water marks, a bit of mold left over from Katrina, corners are fucked, but miraculously, the records themselves appear completely unscathed. No obvious signs of warpage, no scratches, labels clean and intact. Hell -- there was hardly even any dust on them.

I can't wait to play them when I get home. If they play, they will have survived a hurricane/flood and been in the trunk of a car in Florida/Louisiana heat since September, 2005. That's 45 months!

Wish me luck!

This gives me hope. I went up to TN last week and bought some records in Nashville, but accidentally left them in my girlfriend's parents' travel trailer that we were staying in on their property. Her parents are going to pick them up for me in a couple weeks when they go back up, but right now they're sitting in the un-airconditioned trailer.

Cool story though. I'd like to find a copy of that Shotmaker record.

They play!!! Both of them. Quite well, considering. A little more pop and hiss than usual, but nothing horrible.

There is the slightest bit of warping on both which wasn't noticeable until it was on the turntable. Both are in need of a thorough cleaning, but otherwise seem no worse for the wear.

The covers are completely fucked though. Bummer. They're likely not worth anything because of it, but records are for listening, not selling, so who cares.

Thanks for the words, everyone. Before someone chimes in with "pics, or it didn't happen" -- it happened. Here's pics.

This is my old New Orleans home after Katrina. This is the first time my wife saw it after the storm -- she remained in Houston until December to finish her semester there. Not only did we go through this, but we were apart the entire time.

[image]

This is the trunk of my car...

[image]

And this is the "hidden" compartment where the records were forgotten for 45 months:

[image]

Shotmaker: The Crayon Club

[image]

[image]

Damage Closeups:

[image]

Pecola: Dat Hoang EP (the insert was okay also)

[image]

[image]

Damage Closeups:

[image]

Note: I'm not a photographer.

Note: I'm not an idiot. The records don't actually touch my wooden deck. There's a small piece of foam underneath for protection.

Note: Yes, that's my wife. Keep your comments to yourself.

Note: Yes, that's a koi pond. I did it myself along with the other landscaping you see. I just cleaned it, hence the hose filling it back up.

Congratulations on finding them dude, Sorry to hear about what you lost. +1 for the Koi Pond, is it stocked? If so any chance of a pic?

Yes. I have several koi and numerous goldfish in there. They can live in the same habitat without any aggression or adversity.

It's getting a bit dusk out now, so the lighting isn't great. Plus, I need to go to the grocery.

I'll take some, though.

I got the koi when the were all about 5 - 10cm in length, otherwise they cost a fortune. A couple of the larger ones are now around 18cm long!

This is my old New Orleans home after Katrina. This is the first time my wife saw it after the storm -- she remained in Houston until December to finish her semester there. Not only did we go through this, but we were apart the entire time.

Where in the city did you live?

Off of Calhoun between Claiborne & Fontainebleau. McKenna St.

Where in the city did you live?

Off of Calhoun between Claiborne & Fontainebleau. McKenna St.

Ah that sucks it flooded over there. I've always noticed that right before Claiborne on State and Calhoun is floods like hell during a rain storm, it must be the streets or something. I'm a block before Claiborne on Pine but I don't think we got any damage. I was in a dorm during Katrina though.