Holy Crap! Apple now has MB Pro's for $1199

Yea get rid of the express card slot and put in an sd card reader. Wtf Apple? The SD card isnt even the pro standard. Oh yea and the screens are still glossy.

No one uses the express card slot. So, how was changing to the standard for digital cameras a bad idea?

Actually a lot of people use them. Editors can use express cards to add extra usb/firewires so their cameras and external drives run on separate busses. The new Panasonic HD cam's save to what are called P2 drives that can only be accessed by the express card slot, and a lot of the wireless wifi cards from cell phone providers are express cards as well, so yea a lot of people use them. As for the camera standard when it comes to the "Pro," moniker that Apple claims these machines to represent a Compact flash slot would of made a lot more sense seeing as that's the standard slot on every prosumer and professional camera on the market.

Can, sure, but per the stats they quoted and based on the idea Apple knows their shit, only about 1% of people who have a MacBook Pro use them.

And as for the cell phone things, most of them are moving to USB from Express and from PCMCIA.

And, fact is, there was no SD or Compact Flash. If you want to make the argument they should have chosen Compact Flash over SD that's cool. I'm not sure the people bemoaning the idea of losing the express card slot are being honest with themselves or being practical outside of their specific situation.

Can, sure, but per the stats they quoted and based on the idea Apple knows their shit, only about 1% of people who have a MacBook Pro use them.

And as for the cell phone things, most of them are moving to USB from Express and from PCMCIA.

Actually I think at one point Apple knew their shit, but the Ipod and Iphone nonsense sent that ship sailing. Switching the Macbook Pros and HD Cinema Displays to glossy screens was the first fuck up in a line a fuck ups, then they thought removing the firewire port of the Macbook was a smart idea. Well now the firewire is back on the Macbook and they offer a matte option on the 17 MBP. One by one they realize ideas like that don't work.

What do you guys think?

I think I'm glad I waited to buy my MacBook until after WWDC. Reading people bitching and moaning all over MacRumors and the likes over having bought their computers the previous week has made for some interesting time passing.

Or the Iphone people pissed cuz their not gonna get another subsidized Iphone discount.

I think I'm glad I waited to buy my MacBook until after WWDC. Reading people bitching and moaning all over MacRumors and the likes over having bought their computers the previous week has made for some interesting time passing.

Or the Iphone people pissed cuz their not gonna get another subsidized Iphone discount.

You gotta wonder about those people. I mean I follow stuff much more closely than average Joe but you can't get all pissed when you don't do your homework and something like this happens. If you're doing research on picking a phone and don't come across, in looking at the iPhone, all the rumor about a new one coming @ WWDC I just don't know what to tell you.

And just a word for anyone thinking about buying a laptop, don't be surprised to see a refresh of the specs coming around Christmas season, or about 3-4 months. Probably at the least faster processors and bigger hard drives. I doubt any price movement but I'm almost certain on the faster processors in the near term.

You gotta wonder about those people. I mean I follow stuff much more closely than average Joe but you can't get all pissed when you don't do your homework and something like this happens. If you're doing research on picking a phone and don't come across, in looking at the iPhone, all the rumor about a new one coming @ WWDC I just don't know what to tell you.

They're not pissed that there's a new iPhone, though. That was more or less known. What people are mad about is that when the iPhone 3G came out, iPhone customers were able to pay the subsidized price to get a new 3G, even though their contract was not up. With the iPhone 3GS, they're not allowing iPhone 3G owners to upgrade at the subsidized price.

They're not pissed that there's a new iPhone, though. That was more or less known. What people are mad about is that when the iPhone 3G came out, iPhone customers were able to pay the subsidized price to get a new 3G, even though their contract was not up. With the iPhone 3GS, they're not allowing iPhone 3G owners to upgrade at the subsidized price.

Exactly. I had to use my upgrade since my wife's phone was stolen, so I upgraded to the 3G and gave her my EDGE iPhone. But before doing so, I asked a couple sales people "Will I still be able to upgrade to the newer version whenever it comes out, even if I'm not technically upgrade eligible?" Of course they assured me I would; but now I know why. They wanted me to buy a new phone that day.

Now, a little over a year later, AT&T is basically turning away people that want to spend $200-$300 to upgrade and extend contracts in hopes that they can instead convince them to pay $399-$499 since they're not upgrade eligible. FUCK THAT.

Plus I have to imagine that turning away those people is affecting the commissions of sales people. I bet it pisses them off too.

/rant

Right, they're pissed there's a new phone they can't have. And for someone reason people think the iPhone has its own set of rules, which is totally unrealistic. Further, if you bought one on or after May 8th they'll let you upgrade for a re-stocking fee.

I wouldn't say it's unrealistic, necessarily. Last year was the first revision of the iPhone, and previous owners were able to pay the subsidized price. To some, it set a precedent of sorts for revisions to follow. It led many to believe it would be a continuing thing, as it's known there's a dedicated Apple following that will buy everything they release. I wouldn't see any such assumptions as out of line.

(I'm not one of them, nor do I have any interest in the iPhone 3GS, this is just some of the sentiment I've read elsewhere. I've also read that some hypothesized reasoning for the original subsidized upgrade was due to the original unsubsidized price paid by many, though as far as I know, that's really nothing more than a plausible idea.)

Exactly. I had to use my upgrade since my wife's phone was stolen, so I upgraded to the 3G and gave her my EDGE iPhone. But before doing so, I asked a couple sales people "Will I still be able to upgrade to the newer version whenever it comes out, even if I'm not technically upgrade eligible?" Of course they assured me I would; but now I know why. They wanted me to buy a new phone that day.

Now, a little over a year later, AT&T is basically turning away people that want to spend $200-$300 to upgrade and extend contracts in hopes that they can instead convince them to pay $399-$499 since they're not upgrade eligible. FUCK THAT.

Plus I have to imagine that turning away those people is affecting the commissions of sales people. I bet it pisses them off too.

/rant

Okay, a sales person was either ill-informed or lied. You have a gripe but its not with Apple its with the sales person and maybe their manager.

At no other time have cell phone companies allowed people to, at will, upgrade their phone at a subsidized price even with a contract extension. Ever. Not sure why, all of a sudden people expect it. A lot of things are one-offs and having to buy an unsubsidized phone is a pain in the ass. I'm almost positives that's why people were allowed to upgrade seemlessly. Well that and 3G made the phone 10x more usable.

I'm not necessarily defending Apple or AT&T I'm just saying people are being mostly unreasonable in their desire to upgrade their phones given the overwhelming precedent against and the one-time precedent for.

And fact is, these phones need to be a lot less important than they seem to be. Oh god, you have to deal with an out-of-date phone for an entire 22 months or whatever? How will your life ever be worth living!

The first iPhones weren't subsidized. Owners paid full price.

I have no problem keeping my current phone; that's not my gripe. I just really gets under my skin when people assure you of something, and then it turns out to not be true.

Also, it just seems backwards to me. You'd think you would give your current loyal customers that want to keep your business a better deal than someone that has never used AT&T before.

Anyway, what you say is definitely true. It's not going to kill me to keep my current phone. And if the past is any indication, by the time I am upgrade eligible, the phones may be even cheaper.

I have no problem keeping my current phone; that's not my gripe. I just really gets under my skin when people assure you of something, and then it turns out to not be true.

Also, it just seems backwards to me. You'd think you would give your current loyal customers that want to keep your business a better deal than someone that has never used AT&T before.

Anyway, what you say is definitely true. It's not going to kill me to keep my current phone. And if the past is any indication, by the time I am upgrade eligible, the phones may be even cheaper.

I would be pissed if I were you and I'd probably go back in to see what I could make happen. They may give you the $100 credit if you complain enough.

The first iPhones weren't subsidized. Owners paid full price.

I didn't say otherwise. (In fact, in my third post, I actually acknowledged that)