iPhone 3.0

3GS in a nutshell:

Double memory

video

faster processing speed

compass (lame IMO)

more pixels on camera

Other than that...for the most part...everything else same as 3G.

If I were in your shoes Darrell (hopefully you're a size 12) and are in the market for a new phone and looking into the iPhone and have the extra $100, I'd very much go for the 3GS.

There's also the battery life indicator in the form of a percent, which for some reason, they are making available only on the 3G S.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3GS in a nutshell:

Double memory

video

faster processing speed

compass (lame IMO)

more pixels on camera

Other than that...for the most part...everything else same as 3G.

If I were in your shoes Darrell (hopefully you're a size 12) and are in the market for a new phone and looking into the iPhone and have the extra $100, I'd very much go for the 3GS.

There's also the battery life indicator in the form of a percent, which for some reason, they are making available only on the 3G S.

Possibly needing some kind of firmware update ?

am i the only person who is still using a razr? I dont see the point in paying $30 /mo for a data plan. It'd be cool to have but definitely not worth $30 imo.

Some of us like being connected.

I figure if I'm paying so much for a cellphone plan to begin w/ I misawell pay for something that I actually use quite a bit.

Wow man, check your e-mail and voicemails.

I always find it interesting to see how others arrange their home-screens.

Eh, they're from my ex. Don't feel like hearing her voice right now.

And I hardly give any thought to how my apps are arranged, but realized earlier today that moving them around could be helpful - but ever notice how moving them is like a Rubik's cube? You move one and suddenly another one just haphazardly ends up on it's own page?

If it was going to come in a firmware, update, I don't see why Apple would've stated it as an "iPhone 3G S only" feature. (Could've easily released such an update with the 3.0 software if they so chose)

If it was going to come in a firmware, update, I don't see why Apple would've stated it as an "iPhone 3G S only" feature. (Could've easily released such an update with the 3.0 software if they so chose)

Maybe, I'm not making excuses I'm just wondering out loud.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10268861-233.html

For those of you who want to remove the unremovable Apple apps, the link above may be of some interest/help...

And from the ever-hopeful Apple rumor-mill, a bit of speculation about this time, next year: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10268916-233.html

If you want tethering and MMS check this out:

http://help.benm.at

My friend did it and she has tethering working. I'm going to wait and see what happens w/ a few people before I try it.

I can't figure out where to insert the info on the phone to get the mms to work.

is it for non-jailbroken iphones as well?

My friend did it and she has tethering working. I'm going to wait and see what happens w/ a few people before I try it.

I can't figure out where to insert the info on the phone to get the mms to work.

is it for non-jailbroken iphones as well?

MMS will not work, as AT&T needs to turn it on - there is no way around it with the patch at benm.at - that's what I've found out after hours of reading blogs, iphone sites, etc.

An update: I've been utilising the tethering patch for a few days now with no hiccups. Pretty solid if you ask me… just follow the common sense advice of light usage. It's been reported that AT&T, O2 (UK) and others have no way of knowing if yr tethered or not except monitoring data usage for spikes.

All I know is this motherfucker is RINSING my battery.

The firmware or the tethering?

I hadn't noticed any difference in my battery life, but now you mention it i have had to charge a bit more often... i just put it down to playing games on it more.

So far the only negative i have experienced with the update is that it makes the "Zomieville" game really laggy, it freezes for a few milliseconds every inch or so the char moves on the screen.

All my apps have run smooth, with the exception of Flixster (movie times), which closes randomly.

Yeah dude, all my other apps run fine, if not smoother since the update. It's just Zombieville giving me trouble, It has got to be due an update soon though so hopefully they will fix the bug.

So I have a kinda stupid question. I'm going to get an iphone and am wondering if the apps take up a lot of space? I'd like to get the 32gb model but I dont think I'll be able to swing 300$ anytime soon.. music wise I plan to only put on a few albums and same with videos

i have an 8gb about 25 apps, 1,099 songs, and 1 movie on my iphone, and around 200 photos as well, still have about 500mb free.

I just updating the facebook app and my phone went to shit. froze, and won't turn back on, it goes to start up with the apple logo, and sits on that for about 2 minutes, then powers back off.

Facebook was always buggy… they didn't seem to address those issues in the update either.

just had to restore the phone due to (what i'm assuming) is the update.

guess i'll stick to just going to facebook via safari from now on.

So I have a kinda stupid question. I'm going to get an iphone and am wondering if the apps take up a lot of space? I'd like to get the 32gb model but I dont think I'll be able to swing 300$ anytime soon.. music wise I plan to only put on a few albums and same with videos

I have 3 full pages of applications, which total 490MB. That doesn't include the full page of preinstalled ones, as I don't believe they're counted in the total.

But anywho, the sizes vary greatly, obviously by what the application entails.

-Brothers In Arms, a fully functional first-person-shooter, is 81.6mb.

-iTie, an application that shows you how to tie a tie via animated diagrams, is 603kb.

See what I mean?

-I believe the largest app is the game Myst, which tops out at 727mb on its own. I don't know of any others that are anywhere close to that, though.

-I believe the most expensive app is Lexi-complete, at $299.99. (I know you didn't bring up price, but I think it's fucking crazy!)

If you absolutely need the 3GS, the 16GB should be more than enough for you. If the 3GS isn't a must, the 8GB 3G would probably work fine. (I have a 16GB 3G, and it's nowhere near capacity!)