THE OFFICIAL ANAL BLEACHING THREAD (Instructions)

Sorry Jeff, but that's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. You can break anything down to its essential parts. Music is sound in the same way that books are words, Picasso paintings are just paint and canvas, golf courses are just land.

It ceases to be just sound as soon as someone works to compose it.

Books, paintings, and golf courses can be touched. Hearing a leak is literally just experiencing sound, it's not like stealing a CD or LP. There's entitlement to those.

Hearing a leak is just experiencing sound - reading a book is experiencing sight - eating a sandwich is experiencing taste.

How many senses have to be used for something to count?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing a leak is just experience sound as reading a book is experiencing sight as eating a sandwich is experiencing taste.

How many senses have to be used for something to count?

We're on different wavelengths here. You're comparing sound with physical entities. If I walk around my neighborhood and hear someone playing a CD, it's a lot different than if I went in and stole that CD.

Walking around and hearing someone play a CD is different than downloading and listening to one.

What about e-books?

Am I the only one who thinks sometimes it is just more fun to wait and build the suspense till the release. I will admit I'm worried they will wait months before announcing a vi yl version though I'd also like to point out to those who say why does thrice deserve better than being stole. I would say not only do they try and deliver an actual well made album but they also donate to charity and the majority of downloaders will not purchase it.

bands make far more from touring than they do from CD sales. even if an album goes platinum. many people who downloaded the leak will go see them live. quite a few of those people will buy a t-shirt as well. even with the leak, i'm willing to bet Beggars will sell at least 30,000 first week.

Sure, that doesn't make it ok to download something, though. It's just something people use to justify it.

who really wants to hear a shitty web-rip that's watermarked anyways? i mean, it's not even close to the original quality of the recording / not how the record is meant to be heard. i get that people still will want to download and listen to this, but, said shitty quality ruins it for me completely. i would rather just wait.

bands make far more from touring than they do from CD sales. even if an album goes platinum. many people who downloaded the leak will go see them live. quite a few of those people will buy a t-shirt as well. even with the leak, i'm willing to bet Beggars will sell at least 30,000 first week.

Sure, that doesn't make it ok to download something, though. It's just something people use to justify it.

get off your high horse. there's no pleasing either side, especially people against downloading. illegal downloading will never stop, you're fighting a battle you will never win.

get off your high horse. there's no pleasing either side, especially people against downloading. illegal downloading will never stop, you're fighting a battle you will never win.

I'm not on a high horse. I've downloaded plenty of albums. But I know it's wrong. All I was saying is that the reasoning behind saying "but they make money touring" or "But I'll see them live is flawed." They are two different products. You're kidding yourself if you think that justifies downloading.

who really wants to hear a shitty web-rip that's watermarked anyways? i mean, it's not even close to the original quality of the recording / not how the record is meant to be heard.

If its not how the record is meant to be heard why is this the version that reviewers are using to write their reviews and form their opinions?

I've downloaded plenty of albums.

now everything you've said against illegal downloading is irrelevant.

No it isn't. I know it's not right and my doing so doesn't mean that it is.

Besides, I wasn't arguing about whether or not it's right or wrong. I was pointing out that your excuse as to why it is ok is wrong.

Your argument is the same as this:

Person A stole a chocolate bar from a store and said it's not a big deal because they buy milk there all the time. Person B used to steal chocolate bars sometimes as well but did not make excuses. Person B can't tell Person A that stealing the chocolate bars is wrong.

I took a music business class last semester and the topic of leaked albums came up so I figured I'd share what my professor had said. What I learned from my professor was that if someone downloads a leaked album, or an album that does not exist in a tangible form, the person has done nothing wrong. If you cannot go to a store and buy the cd, or buy it from itunes this means that the label/band do not own a copyright of the album yet. People can only copyright things that are tangible. So as of right now Beggars does not have a recognized copyright. While they very well may have applied for th copyright it is not officially recognized unless one of two things have happened: 1)a test pressing has been made for the vinyl release, because now this is a tangible product, or 2) they distributed the album to reviewers via compact disc. Since the status of 1) is unknown and 2) was obviously not what happened and Vagrant has no one to blame but themselves.

This is why very little can be done to people who download a leaked album. This is the reason why Vagrant is considering moving up the release date. Once the album is officially released via one of these means then, and only then, can Vagrant or Thrice do anything about this other then pull down the links and make threats that at this time they cannot back up.

EDIT: It is worth noting that this is why most labels don't mind if a record leaks a a few weeks before the release date, because by then they have either the cds or records made.

who really wants to hear a shitty web-rip that's watermarked anyways? i mean, it's not even close to the original quality of the recording / not how the record is meant to be heard.

If its not how the record is meant to be heard why is this the version that reviewers are using to write their reviews and form their opinions?

when is the last time production was a major part of a review? (barring the '59 Sound,s eeing as the production worries came about mostly when *gasp* the album leaked)

even with the leak, i'm willing to bet Beggars will sell at least 30,000 first week.
doubt it. if i remember right, the first alchemy index set sold just over 20,000 and that was without a 3 month early leak and was almost 2 years ago. i think the second installment sold less than 20,000 its first week.

I took a music business class last semester and the topic of leaked albums came up so I figured I'd share what my professor had said. What I learned from my professor was that if someone downloads a leaked album, or an album that does not exist in a tangible form, the person has done nothing wrong. If you cannot go to a store and buy the cd, or buy it from itunes this means that the label/band do not own a copyright of the album yet. People can only copyright things that are tangible. So as of right now Beggars does not have a recognized copyright. While they very well may have applied for th copyright it is not officially recognized unless one of two things have happened: 1)a test pressing has been made for the vinyl release, because now this is a tangible product, or 2) they distributed the album to reviewers via compact disc. Since the status of 1) is unknown and 2) was obviously not what happened and Vagrant has no one to blame but themselves.

This is why very little can be done to people who download a leaked album. This is the reason why Vagrant is considering moving up the release date. Once the album is officially released via one of these means then, and only then, can Vagrant or Thrice do anything about this other then pull down the links and make threats that at this time they cannot back up.

EDIT: It is worth noting that this is why most labels don't mind if a record leaks a a few weeks before the release date, because by then they have either the cds or records made.

Your professor is wrong. Tell him to talk to a lawyer.

Your professor is wrong. Tell him to talk to a lawyer.

He worked for a major label throughout most of the 90's and this was backed up by several lawyers.

The thing is, it does exist in tangible form. It's on a master somewhere, and it can be copied. Here is the definition of tangible form in US copyright law:

A work is “fixed” in a tangible medium of expression when its embodiment in a copy or phonorecord, by or under the authority of the author, is sufficiently permanent or stable to permit it to be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated for a period of more than transitory duration. A work consisting of sounds, images, or both, that are being transmitted, is “fixed” for purposes of this title if a fixation of the work is being made simultaneously with its transmission.